• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 10:40 PM

After I got the '71 charging and running, and after I got the hydraulics on I used it to plow snow. It worked fantastic! That is, until I was having fuel problems. It would run for a while and stall, and only run on starting fluid. After sitting it would get fuel and start again. I took the line off the carb and had good flow. Plus, I could not get the carburetor adjusted right after I fixed the charging system.

Today, I took the carb off, disassembled, and soaked in carb cleaner. I put it back together not long ago and will put it on this weekend sometime.

I have not learned the proper techniques for adjusting a carb, and is really something I need to learn how to do. Any tips? The '71 has a kohler k321 in it.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 10:48 PM

I've never been real good at adjusting carbs.  I can get them close.  The best advice I can tell you is to be patient.  Set to the factory settings to start and then go from there.  It's all by ear after that.

#3 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • Member No: 25080
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 11:20 PM

Ry,

Do you have the kohler book? I think I've seen it there but they talk about two different kinds or carbs so you need to know which one you have. Did you check the fuel pump? I had problems with mine when I first got it running. It would only give me fuel when it felt like it so I pulled the carb off the donor engine.

Steve

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 11:50 PM

Ryan go by the factory spec but most I have seen as a general rule of thumb is 1 1/2 - 2 turns to get the engine started.  If you have a high speed and low speed adjustment start with the high speed first.  adjust the screw either in or out until you get the highest rpm once you have that turn the screw in about a 1/8 - 1/4 turn.  Next throttle the engine back and do the same with the low speed screw.  next adjust the idle screw for the correct RPM, you may need to adjust the idle screw in conjunction with the low speed.  Now run the throttle up full speed quickly and then throttle back and push it up again.  The engine should respond accordingly with out hesitation.  If it does hesitate or stalls then re-adjust the low speed out and richen it up some.  Usually the shop manual will spell it out for you for that particular model.  If we don't have the manual for your engine try googleing it.

• robert_p43 said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 08:13 AM

Go for a new needle and seat before you put it back on the tractor, or if you haven't already, a complete carburetor kit.  It could be what happened to a machine I worked on.  The needle valve would stick after the carburetor bowl filled, so after you ran the carburetor dry, the engine would die.  A few minutes later it would restart.  However, I found this to be the case since I could pull the drain plug out of the carburetor and let it run into a cup.   I don't know if your particular carb will allow you to do that or not.

http://www.kohlereng...1346_c_all.pdf  see pages 11 and 12.

Take it slow adjusting the carburetor: you have to make sure the new fuel mixture gets through the system. 

Ben W.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 05:20 PM

Go for a new needle and seat before you put it back on the tractor, or if you haven't already, a complete carburetor kit. It could be what happened to a machine I worked on. The needle valve would stick after the carburetor bowl filled, so after you ran the carburetor dry, the engine would die. A few minutes later it would restart. However, I found this to be the case since I could pull the drain plug out of the carburetor and let it run into a cup. I don't know if your particular carb will allow you to do that or not.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_1346_c_all.pdf see pages 11 and 12.

Take it slow adjusting the carburetor: you have to make sure the new fuel mixture gets through the system.

Ben W.

Nope, my carb does not have a drain. If it does not work, I will get a rebuild kit.

Thanks for the tip!

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 07:59 PM

I put the carb back on not long ago... it started right up! When I put the carb back together, I put the jets back where they where when I took it apart. Before, it ran rich and not very smooth; this time it was great, but would not idle. I decided to leave it, and adjust it when it was not as windy out.

I let it sit and run for about 5-10 minutes at half speed, then I went over to neighbor Herby's house; he wanted me to come down for something else, so I thought I would take the tractor over. On the way back, it started to die so I pulled off into neighbor Dave's driveway. After that, I went home to got the four wheeler and my brother to tow it back.

I will get a new filter, new fuel lines, and a carb kit. I do not think it is a problem with flow to the carb; when I was working on the '64 PK I needed some gas so I drained about a quart out of the '71 1614 PK and there was no problem with flow.

Edited by Ryan313, February 10, 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Does anybody know if one can buy a kit that includes the jets? All I can find are ones like THIS.

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Jets don't normally come in a rebuild kit.  Check with a local shop and they probably have some on hand.  Make sure you take the old ones so you can size them.  Ryan when you took the carburetor apart and cleaned it did you take the welch plugs out and clean under them?  The kit will come with replacement welch plugs.

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 06:40 PM

I did not. How do I go about getting them out?

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:01 PM

I just ordered a carb kit, it is supposed to arrive between the 20th and 26th.

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:13 PM

I did not. How do I go about getting them out?

Sorry I took so long to get back to you.  Missed it some how.  Anyway there is an opening, usually a small slot on the side of the casting that the welch plug is inserted into.  You can slide a small screw driver or all under it and pop it out.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 03:44 PM

My kit arrived, and I put the carb in the cleaner again; I did not see how the pugs came out (no slot or anything) and there was only one, so I left it in there. While I was putting it back together, the threads for the fuel bowl screw stripped! I barely had any tension on it, but they went. I think it was just from being taken apart so many times that caused them to strip.