• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TGaffney OFFLINE  

TGaffney
  • Member No: 10752
  • 40 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 07:41 PM

I did a search of the site but couldn't find an answer to my question so I thought I would post it.

I have a front wheel rim that is rusted (inside) and slightly dented along the rim edge.  I replaced the tire with a new one last summer and it held okay until I put my snowblower on the tractor (to much extra weight I guess).  I took it off, put slime in it, refilled it, rode around trying to blow snow and after about  five minutes or so till it deflated completely.  Big dissapointment as I had just finished putting chains on the rear tires and prepping it overall for the big snowstorm we are currently having here in Massachusetts.

Can I just remove the tire from the rim, install a tube, and call it good?  I'm guessing so but thought it was worth asking about first.

The tire is a 15x6x6 and it is on a Pennsylvania Meteor 1110. 

Thanks - Tom

#2 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I would think so , but clean the rim good first . You willm hate slime when you remove the tire.

larryd

• TGaffney said thank you

#3 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:07 PM

As long as I would be going through the trouble of removing the tire, I would clean up the rim and paint it. But seeing as how your in a hurry to prepare for the big storm you could just put a tube on without cleaning the rim up. Just make sure there are no sharp spots on the rim. The dent shouldn't be an issue. Good luck!!!

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 09:04 PM

You'll only have to take one side off to put a tube in it. Just break the bead on the other side. If the rim is too rusty it can puncture the tube.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, I agree with all above. You will now regret the slime, the tube will work just fine, and as long as the rust isn't bad enough to put holes in the tube it's all good.

One thing to keep in mind, do not assume the tire will pump up and stay that way the first time with the tube in it. When you pump up the tube, the air will be trapped between the tubeless tire and it will leak down again. I had one tire that had a slow leak that fought me for three pump ups before I got rid of the trapped air. It may have had something to do with the fixaflat that was in there.

#6 TGaffney OFFLINE  

TGaffney
  • Member No: 10752
  • 40 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.

When I put on the new tire last summer I sanded down the rust on the inside of the rim and painted over it with paint that is supposed to stop the rust process - so hopefully that will have taken care of the rust/puncture concern.

• MH81 said thank you

#7 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.

When I put on the new tire last summer I sanded down the rust on the inside of the rim and painted over it with paint that is supposed to stop the rust process - so hopefully that will have taken care of the rust/puncture concern.

Yep, You should be ready to go then. Put a tube in and blow some snow!!!

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, once you get the trapped air out, it'll be better than new.

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 01:34 PM

I've never had a problem with trapped air. Do you air the tube up before you put the tire back on the rim? I put a little air in it just enough to make it round and fill the tire. that way you know it isn't twisted inside. Then I take the stem back out, install the side of the tire on the bead, and then air it up.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 03:55 PM

No, and it's only happened a couple of times. Always with tires that I've decided to go against experience on and try fix a flat "one more time"

Not normally an issue, just a surprise for a guy who goes thru the hassle of putting in a tube to find it flat/soft an hour later... Could lead you to incorrect assumptions & I wouldn't want anyone ripping into a tire for nothing.
  • Michiganmobileman said thank you