caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 09:07 AM

That thing is a monster! It should be a real blessing to your productivity! The one thing you might find with the higher delivery rates is the need for an air drier. I have a 7.5 HP / 80 gallon here and in the summer (read humid) months it delivers very wet air regardless of how many traps are in the system. I know that what I need to do is cool the output air down to get more of the moisture out, but that's easier said than done without spending a lot of cash. Even still, that's a great find and I'm sure that it will be great! Keep up posted on your progress!

• markdombroski said thank you

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 11:01 AM

I am envious!  Love to have such a beasty compressor!  Largest electric motor we have is a 10hp on our milk parlor pump.  I'd have to look to see what breaker we have it on, but all our motors over 5hp are on magnetic switches.  Marathon motors are high quality and last seemingly forever.  

#18 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 01:39 PM

Nice compressor. I'm guessing that will need a 50amp or higher breaker? 

Yes, I think that a 50 Amp breaker will do the job.  The motor draws 45 amps at load capacity.  I just need to ensure that the momentary starting current, which can be up to 3 times the operating current. will not trip the breaker.  I will do a bit of research to determine the correct size.  Having too large of a breaker may not be good either, because if the motor rotor locks it will draw much more than the 45 amps and could destroy the motor.  I believe the magnetic start switch has a thermal overload protection for this reason.  Doing some planning and engineering work up front is important to ensure that this compressor will have a good lifespan.

#19 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 01:43 PM

That thing is a monster! It should be a real blessing to your productivity! The one thing you might find with the higher delivery rates is the need for an air drier. I have a 7.5 HP / 80 gallon here and in the summer (read humid) months it delivers very wet air regardless of how many traps are in the system. I know that what I need to do is cool the output air down to get more of the moisture out, but that's easier said than done without spending a lot of cash. Even still, that's a great find and I'm sure that it will be great! Keep up posted on your progress!

I totally agree with you on the air dryer.  With my current compressor, I start spitting out water droplets about 1 hour into blasting.  I do have my eye out for a refrigerated air dryer.  I plan to keep this new compressor away from the shop and use black iron piping.  The piping will help cool the air and will have many traps to collect and drain moisture.  This should help somewhat with removing some of the moisture from the air.

• caseguy said thank you

#20 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 01:46 PM

I am envious!  Love to have such a beasty compressor!  Largest electric motor we have is a 10hp on our milk parlor pump.  I'd have to look to see what breaker we have it on, but all our motors over 5hp are on magnetic switches.  Marathon motors are high quality and last seemingly forever.  

Thank you!  I have seen a few marathon motors and don't know much about them.  This particular model has a eye-loop bolt on the top for lifting.  I know that the compressor weighs over 800 lbs.  We loaded into my trailer with fork lift.  I am planning to remove the electric motor and pump before unloading.  It will be a few months before I can get this compressor up and running and I figure I will do some cleanup and painting before re-installing.

I also need to get a mag switch for the 10HP motor. My current mag switch on the 5HP compressor is not rated for the job.

Edited by markdombroski, February 09, 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#21 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 02:55 PM

That compressor should do you for awhile, My question is how in the world are you going to get that out of the back of the truck.We are glad that you found the one you wanted.

Dick

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 04:38 PM

That compressor should do you for awhile, My question is how in the world are you going to get that out of the back of the truck.We are glad that you found the one you wanted.

Dick

Just hook a chain on it and drag it off with one of the GT's  :bigrofl:

• markdombroski and JRJ have said thanks