145 replies to this topic

#121 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 03:36 PM

I like the look of a smoke stack and may want to put one of this since it needs a muffler. Dunno yet, but the only neighbor I have may get a little bothered if I continue to ride this around without one.

If you keep it up you won't have neighbors then you won't need a muffler.

#122 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 03:49 PM

You may have heard a loud BANG today followed by a WEEEEEEEEEEE, that would have been me, riding it around today!

I kept playing with the carb, turned the fuel adjustment out only half a turn, and she fired right up, adjusted accordingly. It still needs to be fine tuned, but it's easter, want to spend SOME time with the inlaws ;)

A few things to ask about it. I'm used to manual drives, pressing a clutch, and putting it in N. I have a bumpy backyard and while I was going down a hill, the direction selector went from F to N and she started to grind down the hill. 

Before parking her back in the garage, I checked both F & R and everything seemed to fine. Scared me a little and I pray nothing bad happened. 

Overall, I am looking forward to this running correctly! I can deff see myself using this more and more during the seasons. 

Also, all the hydraulics work, goes up and down with ease. I think this was a great day!

Any time you apply foot brake it kicks your tractor in to neutral. Down hill takes getting use to you put it in retard position to have hydraulic drive to slow you down.   

#123 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 04:11 PM

If you keep it up you won't have neighbors then you won't need a muffler.

Sweet, more land! But I've never had my neighbor over our home. I've helped them a few times during the storm, but never had them over the house. That's going to change this year I think, I'm not that much of a social animal, and have been working on changing that. Some BBQ and all will be good!

Any time you apply foot brake it kicks your tractor in to neutral. Down hill takes getting use to you put it in retard position to have hydraulic drive to slow you down.   

you put it in retard position to have hydraulic drive to slow you down.   ?

Huh?

#124 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 04:16 PM

you put it in retard position to have hydraulic drive to slow you down.   ?

Huh?

Yep, when going down hill and it gets a little to fast, keep wot but move level into the retard position to slow the tractor down, makes a loud noise like tractor is coming apart, but it's normal.

Edited by John@Reliable, March 31, 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#125 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 06:25 PM

Alrighty, not understanding. WOT? Retard position?  So in other words what happened was normal?

#126 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Alrighty, not understanding. WOT? Retard position?  So in other words what happened was normal?

Check these links out (start with the last link first):

The case 446 only has a parking brake. It is not to be used for stopping. When you push on it the travel control goes to neutral. To stop pull back on the travel control lever to retard forward speed.

http://gardentractor...issues/?p=86908

#127 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 07:42 PM

So it's normal? I didn't know this even had a break. Did I damage this?

#128 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 07:55 PM

So it's normal? I didn't know this even had a break. Did I damage this?

Are you certain the wheels were still turning when you were in neutral and still going down the hill? The brake is under your left foot. When it goes into neutral the tractor comes to a fairly sudden stop. Ask me how I know!

Edited by Moosetales, March 31, 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#129 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Oh they were rolling. I read and saw the break under my left foot. Correct, on level ground after it happened, it would come to a stop, but going down a hill it bumped into N from the F position and kept rolling.

#130 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 08:52 PM

And how do you know? ;)

#131 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 09:15 PM

WOT wide open throttle. It's harder for the parking brake to stop with the weight and gears free wheeling down a hill. I think of it as another safety device to keep in neutral when stopped.Very doubtful you hurt any thing these tractors are pretty tough. Get out in the open and look down at that little brake drum see how fast it's turning.Hard to stop that little surface. That's why you use retard to keep it slowed down. What probably happened is when you put on the brake you felt the spring force pulling shifter  into neutral   and not fully engaging brake letting it freewheel. Its like anti lock brakes in emergency mash down all the way and hold.You can check the brake lining and adjust brake band if necessary per manual. 

• Moosetales said thank you

#132 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,694 Thanks
  • 8,888 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 09:28 PM

On the travel lever going downhill, the 'retard' function just allows more pressure buildup past the axle drive motor. In normal mode, oil flows through the motor to get speed. Going down hill, the tractor doesn't need the motor to do it, so the oil is essentially just passing through the motor, but the axle is turning even faster. With the retard position, the oil builds up a back pressure after the motor, keeping the axle moving at the intended speed. Later models that had the holding valve standard, or the older units that had it as an option, have that built in. It helps keep the tractor traveling at the selected speed no matter the terrain. A little funny to get used to, but a small price to pay for a GT transmission that seems to be about the longest lasting of any ever bolted into a ground engaging GT.

As gopher said, this has to be done at WOT or close to it. The pump will not build up the necessary pressure at less than 3/4 throttle.

• Moosetales said thank you

#133 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 09:28 PM

I concur with gopher. These are tough machines. It's a good sign that you could run her forward and back once back to the garage.

#134 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:35 AM

Think of it as a "Jake" brake, or engine brake like some trucks have, but like Cat said, it retards the hyd. fluid causing back pressure in system which has a braking effect.

#135 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • Member No: 29663
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 11:16 AM

That noise in "Retard" worried me the first few times I heard it, but it worried me LESS than racing down a hill!

I have a very steep hilly lot. My 446 with NO holding valve can be really exciting to drive down the hills! The 448 has a holding valve and is much more civilized. Have to remember which one I am driving, or there will be a problem. I'm shopping for a holding valve. That "Brake pedal" ain't worth much for trying to stop one of these things.

Edited by machinist, April 01, 2013 - 11:17 AM.