145 replies to this topic

#91 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,731 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 11:54 AM

I will check and see back there, but when I looked the 1st time, I saw no wires going to or from it. I'm going to play with it later when I get home, as long as it's warmer in the garage before the darn snow gets here. Thank you again!

#92 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,731 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:18 PM

9. Run a piece of wire from the other small terminal on the solenoid to a good ground on theengine. If the engine start/gen unit spins when you turn the key, then you have a problem with one of the two safety switches.

BOOM! We have life! So I'm going to fix that and play around! YA-HOO!

#93 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:45 PM

9. Run a piece of wire from the other small terminal on the solenoid to a good ground on theengine. If the engine start/gen unit spins when you turn the key, then you have a problem with one of the two safety switches.

BOOM! We have life! So I'm going to fix that and play around! YA-HOO!

Oh yeah! Nice job! Play play play.

#94 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,731 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Right now, dinner and it's darn cold in the garage with the wind and snow on the way. Tomorrow, carb will come off, and get cleaned, etc. Then we'll go from there. :)

• Moosetales said thank you

#95 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Right now, dinner and it's darn cold in the garage with the wind and snow on the way. Tomorrow, carb will come off, and get cleaned, etc. Then we'll go from there. :)

Just finished a bite myself. Been out in the garage getting the cab that came with the Massey converted over to the Case. If it weren't for having to fabricate the from brackets I'd have the cab on and in fine fashion for the snow that's headed our way. Oh well.......glad to hear you can now move from the electrical system onto other things.

#96 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,731 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 05:23 PM

Well here's an update:

Got the two front flat tires off. One rim is off, the other is putting up a fight. My cheap harbor freight machine works, but times like these I wish I had a real good machine.

I took the carb off, inside the bowl was crusty dusty bits of junk. Cleaned everything out, took the ancient fuel line from the pump off, and replaced that.

Found no spark, cleaned the points, reset the gap and now I have spark!

Shot some carb cleaner in, turned it, and fired right up. No fuel in it, so I'm going to get the tires done I hope tomorrow, and then we'll play with the fuel.

So far so good!

• sacsr and Moosetales have said thanks

#97 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Well here's an update:

Got the two front flat tires off. One rim is off, the other is putting up a fight. My cheap harbor freight machine works, but times like these I wish I had a real good machine.

I took the carb off, inside the bowl was crusty dusty bits of junk. Cleaned everything out, took the ancient fuel line from the pump off, and replaced that.

Found no spark, cleaned the points, reset the gap and now I have spark!

Shot some carb cleaner in, turned it, and fired right up. No fuel in it, so I'm going to get the tires done I hope tomorrow, and then we'll play with the fuel.

So far so good!

PICTURES PLEASE! Glad ti hear about your progress.

#98 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 05:29 PM

Sounds like it is coming along! Good to hear you got spark and its wanting to start!

#99 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,731 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 05:31 PM

I'll grab some pics tomorrow once I get the tires done hopefully.

#100 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,731 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 06:07 PM

No photos yet, working on the tires still. Boy getting the new tires on the rims is one hell of a challenge. The tires are NOT going on easily. 

I added fuel today to see if I could get her running. A few things I found out.

The carb is leaking fuel. It kicks over, but doesn't stay running. After a little while of turning over, maybe 10/20 seconds, it starts misting out fuel from the carb. 

In the fuel bowl, the float, is there supposed to be a spring between the float and the plug?

That's all for now, getting closer. Can't wait for it to warm up so I can use this/ work on it in the sunshine!

• Moosetales said thank you

#101 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 12:51 PM

In the fuel bowl, the float, is there supposed to be a spring between the float and the plug?

Truth and Lending........I know very little about carburetors and will be learning right along side of you. With that said, would a picture or video of my carb help in any way. If so, which angle, of what and so on? Also, what carb do you have on that machine (considering someone could have exchanged it out at some point in time)? Any chance you could snap a pic of what you are trying to troubleshoot here?

BTW, I'm with you on the warm sunshine weather.

• Titus said thank you

#102 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,731 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 01:51 PM

When you take the fuel bowl off with a 9/16s wrench, your bowl will drop with your float will be there. I believe if we have the same carbs, on the left side you'll see the latch system holding the float in place. There you'll see in the middle, the seat (small metal piece that plugs the flow of fuel when the bowl is raised. Is there a spring between those two? I don't think there is, but for some reason it looks like one was by the markings on the bowl and seat.

I can snap a photo today when I get home if you don't post one 1st.

#103 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 02:03 PM

When you take the fuel bowl off with a 9/16s wrench, your bowl will drop with your float will be there. I believe if we have the same carbs, on the left side you'll see the latch system holding the float in place. There you'll see in the middle, the seat (small metal piece that plugs the flow of fuel when the bowl is raised. Is there a spring between those two? I don't think there is, but for some reason it looks like one was by the markings on the bowl and seat.

I can snap a photo today when I get home if you don't post one 1st.

no spring, have you downloaded the Kohler service manual for "K" single cylinder engines # 84845 a lot of good information

Here is a link http://gardentractor...service-manual/

Edited by John@Reliable, March 22, 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#104 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,731 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thanks!

#105 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:04 AM

Some Onan carbs have assist float springs but the Kohler does not .There should be a small wire clip that holds needle in place. Does your needle have the rubber tip or solid brass? A lot of debate on the ethenal  gass eating the rubber.If its rubber look at the tip if you can see a little ridge in rubber you need new one.

Edited by gopher, March 23, 2013 - 12:16 AM.