Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The Dilemma, Leave The Tractor/blower Inside The Temporary Garage, Or Pull It Outside?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 12:18 PM

You did the right thing I think.  Hoping things aren't as bad as they are saying.

• ggsteve and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 12:58 PM

I agree you made the right decision. Good luck to you. You should get some seat time on the GT!

I'm glad you and the other guys think so.  My wife has taken her own pictures of the tractors in the garage and is flaming me on Facebook, complaining that I'm nuts.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#18 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'm glad you and the other guys think so.  My wife has taken her own pictures of the tractors in the garage and is flaming me on Facebook, complaining that I'm nuts.

Then you know that you are right!

To brace the tent run a horizontal 2 x 4 header  under the peak. I'd tie it to the pipes. Then run some vertical studs 4'o.c. from the ground to the header. You could frame it like a stud wall. Dont forget diagonal  and lateral bracing.  Good Luck, Rick

• JDBrian said thank you

#19 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 02:01 PM

:bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl: 

Hopefully she will see the wisdom of your action, but I really doubt it.  I think some people have a big disconnect between SAYING things, like "let's get the driveway cleared" and actually UNDERSTANDING  the physical work that needs to be done to make it happen.

#20 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 02:11 PM

ggsteve, your wife won't  think you're nuts when she sees the snow cleared.  Some folks have to see before believing.    I wish I had your dilemman. My Husqvarna is in the shed, but it's 100' from the house.  If I didn't have the vinyl cab I would've brought it up next to the house.  I join the others in saying that you did the right thing.   Cleaning off the van  will be a lot  easier than having to get the tractor/blower out from under the temporary shelter if it should collapse.  Have fun enjoying the seat time !

#21 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 03:27 PM

Well think of it this way, where in the hell would she go in this weather? 

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Well Steve, Take care of yourself!  My wife gives me a lot less guff about relying on my machines after I spent 6 weeks off work several years ago with a heart issue.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 08, 2013 - 03:52 PM.

• olcowhand, tractorgarden and boyscout862 have said thanks

#23 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Well Steve; as you see we all know you made the right decisison.  My garage must be longer than normal for I can pull either vehicle way up and get my tractor behind one of them with it being sidways in the garage-works for me.

Good Luck with the snow and we all hope the temp. cover stays.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, February 08, 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#24 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 04:41 PM

My garage must be longer than normal for I can pull either vehicle way up and get my tractor behind one of them with it being sidways in the garage-works for me.

Good Luck with the snow and we all hope the temp. cover stays.

Dick

Nope, the tractor and the van would never fit in one bay.  Besides, squeezing the tractor in sideways (impossible because it's about 12' long from the blower to the weight tray) wouldn't provide a very good angle of attack at the snow anyways.

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Sounds like you are ready.  I had a bit of a battle getting my snow blower to start. Got it going but it isn't running quite right. Carb issue I think. We are still supposed to get about 40cm -16" here starting at Midnight. Winds up to 100kph- (62mph) so it's going to be a wild old time here. Hope I don't loose any big trees!  Good luck everyone!

#26 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Sounds like you are ready.  I had a bit of a battle getting my snow blower to start. Got it going but it isn't running quite right. Carb issue I think. We are still supposed to get about 40cm -16" here starting at Midnight. Winds up to 100kph- (62mph) so it's going to be a wild old time here. Hope I don't loose any big trees!  Good luck everyone!

The JD 317 Onan started but not like usual.  Lots of smoke at first like it was flooded.  Then when I advanced the throttle it died.  Finally got her running at WOT and backed her into the garage.  You never know when that Johnny Bucket could be handy.

#27 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 10:03 PM

It's snowing here now and the wind is picking up a bit. The Johnny bucket is a nice setup. I'd like something like that for my 317 when it's back together. 

#28 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 06:09 AM

Good news:  The tent made it! Bad news: So much for attacking the storm in waves.  My last trip outside to clear snow off of my tent before bed was about 10:30pm.  I woke up at 5:30am and she was still standing with quite a load on her.  I threw on some boots and a coat and trudged out there and cleared it off.  Easy peezey from here on out as the storm should wind down over the next few hours.

Now as far as snow removal goes, I took a pass up and down the driveway last night when we had about 6" in order to make the first pass this morning that much easier.  Other than exciting night patrol seat time it will have no bearing on the work this morning.  The winds have been so strong that you can't even see where I made the pass.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 06:23 AM

Glad to hear the tent made it through. That wind has to be the worst part, blowing snow all around!

#30 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 06:41 AM

I've got over 2' of snow and am very glad that I brought the tractor inside. I'll start plowing around midday when the storm stops. I'm glad that your tent survived. The wind was blowing so hard here that last night I had to brace the center of the 16' garage door. I used a couple of boards and a car jack off of the tractor to stop the rattling and breeze into the garage.

• KennyP said thank you