Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The Dilemma, Leave The Tractor/blower Inside The Temporary Garage, Or Pull It Outside?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Much of my snow removal power equipment lives in one of those temporary sheds.  It has the cables that strengthen the roof, and even though it has flipped over in the wind several times over the years it has never failed due to snow load.  Of course, during a storm I always clear the roof off before bed late at night, then wake up and clear it first thing in the morning.  

The problem is, it has never seen a storm like the one that is supposed to be dished up tonight!  Also, it's showing it's age.  I fear that many hours of 2-3" of snow per hour may be too much for the rig.  

So my choices are leave the prime snow removing tool (Craftsman Pro/Berco snowthrower) in the shed over night and cross my fingers that it doesn't collapse, or pull the tractor out in front of the shed, throw a tarp over it, and hope the snow doesn't collapse the Original Tractor Cab (not too worried about this), or put the minivan out in the snow, and the tractor in the garage.  Remember, the best thing about having a garage is that I haven't had to clear snow off a car since 1999.

1124021515.jpg

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,702 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 07:37 AM

Not knowing where you are, I would be concerned about the winds with this! That could be the worst thing.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 07:38 AM

I vote for putting the van outside and your primary snow clearing rig inside.  Any chance you could squeeze the Craftsman in the garage behind or beside the van? You can't use the van unless the driveway is cleared and you could clear off the van a lot quicker than shovelling the whole driveway if you needed to get out for an emergency. 

#4 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 07:49 AM

I'm with JDBrian on this. I'd rather have to clear off the van than have that nice cab on your tractor ruined. Good luck out there :-)

#5 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 08, 2013 - 07:53 AM

You actually put a vehicle in your garage?

• John@Reliable, Alc, Michiganmobileman and 3 others have said thanks

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:04 AM

You actually put a vehicle in your garage?

:bigrofl: :bigrofl:

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:11 AM

Its funny that we have a similar problem. I'm taking the truck out of the garage and bringing the tractor in. I had just decided that about ten minutes ago before I sat down to the computer. Now the hard part will be to wake the teen to get his help. Good Luck

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:24 AM

The snow just started here. Whatever you do, Add some bracing to the middle of the tent. We may get some rain mixed in.

I watched the show about the Blizzard of 78 that hit this area. 1700 roofs collapsed in New England from that storm.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#9 ggsteve ONLINE  

ggsteve

• 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Adding bracing to the roof, now why didn't I think of that?  Well, that isn't happening before noon today and I don't really know how I'd go about it anyway.  I will clear the roof every few hours like I always do, it just might not survive from 11pm to 7am.  You pays your money, you takes your choice.  The tent owes me nothing.  It has performed admirably for several years.  As far as wind goes, the last time it broke free of its ropes I changed to chains to tie it down.  Unless the basketball hoop, which is a) filled with 300 lbs of sand and b) frozen to the ground, flies the tent isn't going anywhere.  In back it's chained to a stump.

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:59 AM

GGsteve, I think everyone who advised you to put your snow equipment in the garage is right on target.  You will have to clear the snow before you can go anywhere, and frankly, even if you clear your drive, you may find that the roads are still impassable.

When I was the maintenance supervisor for a large apartment community here in the south, it amazed me that people seemed to think that if they could just get out of the parking lot, things would be ok.  I always had chains on for  the winter weather, and I went where I wanted, but very few drivers seemed to want to consider how bad the roads would be if the parking lot was impassable.

• ggsteve said thank you

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:59 AM

I thought the answer was simple... cars are replaceable, but every garden tractor is unique!  Get the tractor inside!

Ben Wagner

• tractorgarden, boyscout862, KC9KAS and 1 other said thanks

#12 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 09:23 AM

GGsteve, I think everyone who advised you to put your snow equipment in the garage is right on target.  You will have to clear the snow before you can go anywhere, and frankly, even if you clear your drive, you may find that the roads are still impassable.

When I was the maintenance supervisor for a large apartment community here in the south, it amazed me that people seemed to think that if they could just get out of the parking lot, things would be ok.  I always had chains on for  the winter weather, and I went where I wanted, but very few drivers seemed to want to consider how bad the roads would be if the parking lot was impassable.

Not planning on going anywhere, but I do plan to attack the storm in waves.  The storm may or may not leave plowable snow by nightfall.  If so, I'll do a pass up and down the 600' drive tonight.  A good chance to test my new cab lights on night patrol!  The big snow is supposed to come over night, so another pass first thing in the morning.  Then after the thing winds down tomorrow I will do 1) roof raking, 2) hand shoveling steps and decks, 3) tractor snow blowing driveway and turnarounds, 4) and finally walk behind snow blowing the paths and patio around the house.  After that I'll go try and help the neighbors.

If this thing is as big as it could be we might not have safe roads until Monday or Tuesday.

• JDBrian and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 10:49 AM

We have a similar "problem" here. Amber crown victoria won't fit in the garage due to length so that's out side, same with my F150, too long for the garage. So they both get pulled off to the side of the house and I have a clear path to move the snow. Last thing I'd want to be doing in freezing temps is dusting off my tractor, then having a grand ole time trying to get it to start. All while getting covered in snow. 

Tractors stay inside :)

#14 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Well, I took everyone's advice.  The minivan is outside and the Craftsman/Berco and Deere/Johnny Bucket are in the garage.  I put a tarp over the Honda.  I'm hoping the snow is light enough that I can just pull the tarp off with all the snow.

0208031106_zps9b7a43b0.jpg

0208031107_zps778d48b6.jpg

• olcowhand, PappyH, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#15 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 12:08 PM

I agree you made the right decision. Good luck to you. You should get some seat time on the GT!

• ggsteve said thank you