• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted September 23, 2010 - 10:31 PM

I worked on the B112 tonight. Pulled all the tin & grill (ran the vacuum), removed the engine (ran the vacuum), got the tin off the engine (ran the vacuum), looked back into the tractor (ran the vacuum). I have never seen so many Guinea Feathers in my life. That & little bitty seeds... and mouse poo. The corrosive nature of mouse urine is what was killing my spark... it had eaten thru the mag ground wire. Also poor connection to the points. The mag looked like it had been outside for 25 yrs... rusty, nasty... I was VERY surprised at the 1/4 ARC it blew when we got done cleaning & sanding.

Put the engine back in & bolted her all back together. Started quick. The carb seems to have a sticky needle. I rapped the carb & it quit dripping, I'll bet I have a rebuild job to do. I did a compression test before I put it back in. Avg reading was 65. I think that'll be OK. Maybe tomorrow I'll get to drive it. :D Motor sounded a little labored but I think it's adjustment on the carb.

The tillier may need more help than expected, the tines are off because the bolt holes are worn thru. Oh well, they can be rebuilt. Great 4 hrs with My Dad & Son, and we got lots done.

One more observation, has anyone ever met a child under the age of 15 that can hold a &%&$# flashlight where you need the light? If I had been looking at the floor , top of my head, or the east wall, I'd have been able to see. :rofl2: I remember my Dad trying to train me. Apple didn't fall far I guess.
  • trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted September 24, 2010 - 05:52 AM

Glad to hear that you got the old girl up and running! If the tractor heard that it was that close to getting scrapped out it might just be happy as all get out that you are paying attention to it and and happy to be used again!!!!!

#18 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 24, 2010 - 06:18 AM

...(ran the vacuum),(ran the vacuum),(ran the vacuum),(ran the vacuum).

:bigrofl: Sounds familiar! "Briggs & Stratton, The preferred engine of mice everywhere!"

The tillier may need more help than expected, the tines are off because the bolt holes are worn thru. Oh well, they can be rebuilt.

Maybe I'll take you up on that offer to come up and help. Sounds like fun!

Great 4 hrs with My Dad & Son, and we got lots done.

That's Awesome!! Always great to spend time with the generations over some rust!

One more observation, has anyone ever met a child under the age of 15 that can hold a &%&$# flashlight where you need the light? If I had been looking at the floor , top of my head, or the east wall, I'd have been able to see. :rofl2: I remember my Dad trying to train me. Apple didn't fall far I guess.

:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl: Mines 17 and he STILL has trouble with that!!

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 24, 2010 - 06:28 AM

When I used to hold a flashlight for my father, he'd say to me " If YOU can't see what I'm doing,then I can't see what I'm doing".:laughingteeth: :laughingteeth:

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted September 24, 2010 - 06:35 AM

If the tractor heard that it was that close to getting scrapped out it might just...

I don't believe that theory works. If threatening an inanimate object with the prospect of going to the scrap yard caused the desired results, I'd have had a 1975 Dodge Coronet that started in the cold, plumbing would be easy, and all blind nuts would start on the 2nd try.:D

Sounds familiar! "Briggs & Stratton, The preferred engine of mice everywhere!"

:bigrofl: I think you should submit that for their new slogan. Kinda sounds "Green"

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted September 24, 2010 - 06:44 AM

When I used to hold a flashlight for my father, he'd say to me " If YOU can't see what I'm doing,then I can't see what I'm doing".:laughingteeth: :laughingteeth:

Guess it's kind of universal... after the 47th time asking for light, I kinda vented, but all was forgiven. I did get my light that time tho.:D

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted October 01, 2010 - 11:48 PM

Put the vari-drive system back together. Took a lot of the slop out of the linkage, adjusted as per the manual, got it running (think there's sludge in the carb) and took it for a test drive. the "21" speeds that this thing has are not really needed. the Three gears would've been enough. Low gear is from 0.8 to 1.7 MPH I suppose you can tell the difference, but not much:D

I found a replacement bearing Pt# for the vari-drive. Simplicity/Allis want $70 to $80 for theirs and there's one on both pulleys in a holder, the holder can be pressed out & replaced. Bearing Pt# is 6007-2RS (rubber seals) 6007-ZZ with metal seal covers. I bought one for $20 locally, but I had them size it to make sure I had the right part #. I found them online for $5 but $10 more for S/h. Worth the $5 to make sure I had the right part

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted October 03, 2010 - 06:48 PM

Put the B112 in Hibernation for the winter. Thought I'd make it work a little. It pulled it OK until I hit the wet grass on the hill.
100_1904.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1902.jpg

#24 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 03, 2010 - 10:56 PM

Nice to see it moving under it's own power! and moving the 65 too! But...why is the 35 in the background parked on a hill? LOL

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 07:14 AM

...why is the 35 in the background parked on a hill? LOL

'Cause Dad parked it there. :D Saving starter time by using gravity. :rofl2:

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted October 06, 2010 - 08:40 PM

Took a good hard look at the tines & holder assemblies from the tiller. They had been neglected for so long that the pin holes were worn thru on the ends of BOTH pieces. The end tines would slop around enough to hit the case of the tiller. Because of this, I've been left with one option... weld. I drilled out the first sections to 1", then rebuilt the 2nd sections by putting a piece of 1 1/2" pipe over & welding the flange back on. The old fire truck that Dad tore apart years ago had a 1" rod for a torsion spring. Weld into the first section, weld the 2nd on over it, then weld the end & cut off the rod. Each weighs an extra 5 lbs now. One is done, the other tomorrow. I tried to get pics, but we're outta AA batteries. :wallbanging:: Will try tomorrow.

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 06:58 PM

Finally got the tines welded together. Pics as promised.

Discovered that my welder likes 7014 better than anything else on really hard steel. Or 7014 hates me less.

Determined that brushes in a 4" grinder don't last forever.

I'm getting more confident when it comes to this stuff... not necessarily better at welding, just more confident that it'll hold. It's quantity over quality... right?:blush2:

Wear on the 1st tine holder. ......Wear on the 2nd tine holder (after sleeve has been put on outside)
PICT0150 (Medium).JPG

Rod fitted into 1st tine holder. .....And welded into place
PICT0163 (Medium).JPG

Welded top to bottom..........Finished at last.
PICT0167 (Medium).JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0165.jpg
  • PICT0161 (Medium).jpg
  • PICT0155 (Medium).JPG
  • PICT0160 (Medium).JPG
  • PICT0166 (Medium).JPG
  • PICT0165 (Medium).JPG
  • PICT0153 (Medium).JPG

Edited by MH81, October 07, 2010 - 07:21 PM.

• Tomwendt said thank you

#28 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 07:06 PM

That oughta hold for many many years to come! Thanks for the walk-through.

#29 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted October 07, 2010 - 07:42 PM

Good job!
Thanks for the pics. Like Daniel said that should hold for a long time

#30 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 08, 2010 - 07:51 AM

Looks good and stout! That'll turn some dirt for sure! Nice work!