17 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 07:46 PM

Woke up this morning to no hot water.  Tank is shot.  Had a cold shower.  Told wife to phone a place and get a new tank.

Made coffee.  Forget to put coffee in the filter.  Tried again, worked a little better.

Went to work.  Sellick broken, had to steal a forklift to load my truck.  Stole one that immediately ran out of propane.  

Wife phones with many water tank options.  I pick the electric one because I can fix it myself next time, then realize that the inspection might be problematic due to wiring done before I was born.  Call wife back.  Too late.  Guess I'll find out if I have to rewire my entire house next week sometime.

Pick up a load best described as "The Leaning Tower of Cardboard."  Forklift driver seems to live on a diet of bizarre hallucenogenic drugs and a hatred of all humanity.  Throw some straps over it and hope for the best.  Drive very carefully.

Stop at Tim Horton's for a coffee.  Cop in line behind me tells me I shouldn't leave my truck running because somebody might steal it.  I tell him that if they can drive it they can have it.  He looks a little sour.  Refrain from making cop/donut joke.   

Cop passes me, making me third on scene of massive water main break.  Spend 30 or 40 minutes watching water turn to slush before being waved through to detour that takes me in wrong direction.

Drop off the leaning tower of cardboard.  Receiver chastises me for doing up my straps too tight and crushing boxes.  Perhaps he'd prefer it if they fell off my truck?  I point out that the boxes are full of steel parts that straps can't damage.  He says he doesn't care.  I point out that I don't care either.  He looks sad.

Go to next stop.  They've had some sort of industrial accident.  Two firetrucks, one cop car, one ambulance.  Get a sweet load of hydraulic cylinders in record time.  Decide industrial accidents might be a positive thing.

Head up the road.  Plastic car bumper appears from under semi in front of me.  Nowhere to go, tailgating gravel truck behind me, so I drive over it. No flat yet, but it did cut my front right sidewall.

Trade sweet load for a dog's breakfast.  A skid of boxes, a crate of pins, a baby suicide coil of wire rope, a lift of drawbars.  Nothing matches in height or weight.  Forklift driver won't listen.  Have to hold my smoke in my mouth juuuusssst right to strap it all down.  7400 pounds on an 8000 pound truck and the right side (the one with the cut front sidewall) about a ton heavier than the left.  Like driving on a side hill.

Get back to shop without incident.  Park truck.  Bring other truck (co-driver had to leave early) inside.  Show boss the sidewall.  She suggests it will be okay until next week until the truck goes in for service.  Whatever...I don't have to pay for emergency roadside service.

Come home.  Watch politics on TV.  Stunned at the incompetence, not just of the government but the opposition parties and the journalists and even the advertisers.  If this is the best we can do, our species is doomed.

Hit the I-Pod.  The Supersuckers are playing are playing Born with a Tail.  Open a beer, come to GTT.  All better now.  

• caseguy, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 07:54 PM

Sounds like one heck of a day.

Enjoy your beer. You deserve it.

Politics on TV....You've gotta be talking about our Senate, and that slimebag

Brazeau. What a bunch of criminals

• Reverend Blair said thank you

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 07:56 PM

I lost it at the part when you told the dock worker you didnt care. Sad look. :rolling: Been quite a day for you. Good thing is your safe for another day.

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 07:56 PM

I think I'll refrain from commenting any further till you finish your beverage :biting_nails: :D

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Sounds like one heck of a day.

Enjoy your beer. You deserve it.

Politics on TV....You've gotta be talking about our Senate, and that slimebag

Brazeau. What a bunch of criminals

It's not just Brazeau, it's all of them...even the guys I vote for.  And the journalists aren't asking the questions or pushing for the answers.  It's like all any of them are about is selling me some plastic crap that I don't want or need.

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:15 PM

I think I'll refrain from commenting any further till you finish your beverage :biting_nails: :D

Ah, things got better as soon as I hit that I-Pod button.

• chris m said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Wow ! I have a boring job compared to you lol Hope tomorrow is better

#8 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yep, them kind of days just happen once in a while.  Sounds like you got the right idea on how to cool down though!  Hope tomorrow goes better.

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Even when you're writing about what sounds like the day from hell, I still love your style! I'm glad that I wasn't drinking anything myself when I got to the description of forklift driver's subsistence diet! I am, however, very sorry that you had a rough day! Thanks for making me realize that my day, although suckish, dimmed in comparison.

• Reverend Blair and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:45 PM

It's not just Brazeau, it's all of them...even the guys I vote for.  And the journalists aren't asking the questions or pushing for the answers.  It's like all any of them are about is selling me some plastic crap that I don't want or need.

Those senators are a waste of our money IMO. Duffy was in town the other day and slithered out through the kitchen to the back door of the hotel in order to avoid questions about his expense claims and housing allowance.  

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Wow, sure feel for you about that sideways load thing.  Loved most of your encouters with other folk.

I hate being old enough to say this, but about 25 years ago I helped my Dad bring two trucks loaded with goods from Johannesburg South Africa to Lusaka Zambia.  On this particular trip, the trucks were loaded by hand, and everything roped tightly into place.  Not only was the load piled up  as high as the roof of the cab, but somehow we managed to get it loaded too heavy on the passenger side.  It wasn't too bad the first two days, but on the last day of the trip the asphalt dwindled down to single lane and the traffic was two way.  When opposing traffic did show up, you had no choice but to move over and put the passenger tires on the shoulder, which was usually a deep rut.  After doing that all day, I had buns of steel from being clenched so tight.  More than once I thought it was going to roll over, but it never did thank goodness.

That was also the trip where we picked up the erratic running diesel truck, which Dad drove.  The first day, it was running great (when it ran properly, it was a very peppy truck compared to the standard truck I was driving.)  On the winding, hilly roads we were driving, it was impossible to keep up with him.  But on the second day, we started out across a portion of the Kalahari.  Now, I'm sure there are roads in Texas that are almost as straight, and flat, and sandy; but I haven't seen them.  Anyway, instead of scooting down the road at 105 kph, Dad was doing about 70, maybe 75.  No cruise control, so I'm having to actually hold my foot up off the accelerator a little bit.  Sometime after breakfast, but before lunch, I've had enough of hanging back, so I pull out, pull up beside him and managed to ask him "Why don't we go faster?"  He looked rather surprised, and indicated that his foot was to the floor, so I eased up and back in behind him.  

We learned that if that truck wasn't running right to pull over, shut it down, and start it again and that would often do the trick.  Can't remember if it was that truck or not, but theft was such a problem that we started putting a fuel shut off solenoid in the fuel line.  That way, if someone stole it and didn't know where the switch was located, they'd only get half a mile or so down the road before it died on them.  As you can imagine, it bit us more than once as well.  We discovered that if we pulled over to the side of the road and stopped when the truck began to stumble, then we could look forward to a good half hour bleeding the injectors.  The alternative was to leave the clutch in, quickly throw the switch into the 'on' position, and the engine would be running fast enough to re-prime itself and keep running.

Anyway Rev, hope you don't get stranded by the side of the road due that cut tire.  Glad you made it here safely.

Edited by HowardsMF155, February 07, 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#12 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Woke up this morning to no hot water.  Tank is shot.  Had a cold shower.  Told wife to phone a place and get a new tank.

Well, Rev, in an attempt to cheer you up, there is always something worse that could have happened.  Here is what is happening at my neighbour's house.  He has water problems too.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

Yes, that is a horizontal boring machine entering a hole to drill under the highway to pull a new waterline for the house.  Two backhoes, an excavator, a dump truck, a horizontal boring machine and 10 guys all day.  The excavator & driver have been there for three days.  

On the upside, they popped a stump out for me for the low price of 18 fresh bakes chocolate chip cookies piping hot out of the oven.

6.JPG

• Reverend Blair and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Sounds like you had one heck of day.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

#14 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:05 PM

WOW RB I will have a beer for you. That should help.

Ahhhhh yeah I feel better for you already.

• Reverend Blair and HDWildBill have said thanks

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Wow. I woulda popped that stump for a half dozen. You guys up north do have to pay more for everything.