• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:35 AM

Morning gentlemen. This morning I finally get to get back to working JD314.

I took the used rings and and piston and checked the ring gap. I got .021-.022 . Specs say .020 .

I don't see any no's on piston that say 10 , 20 , or 30 .The only thing I found was the letter A on the inside on 1 side and the no 237406 on the inside on the otherside.

I don't have any way to mic cylinder or piston with going to a machine shop .

Does this number mean anything to any of you .?

larryd

Edited by larryd, February 07, 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Have you checked the Kohler Manual that you can download for free in our manuals section? I don't know what the "A" means but when you are playing with an engine you have to look at the overall condition of it, the condition of the cylinder walls, piston, rod and crank. If everything is real good, I don't worry about the ring gap. I do worry about rings to loose or tight in their groves, piston too loose in the cylinder or the rod too loose.

If the cylinder walls aren't good, you need to measure it and decide how bad it is. I did a friends 12hp cast iron B&S last summer. He didnot want to spend any money on it. Crap had scored the cylinder. I did a Swamp Yankee standard rebuild. I honed it to +0.07, crocus clothed the rings, lapped the valves, cleanned everything, and reassembled it. I runs great now. I've done this many times before on engines that don't get alot of use. I do use plasti-gage in the rod. The engines have lasted for many years. I also use Marvel Mystery Oil in my gas which helps alot. Good Luck, Rick

• larryd said thank you

#3 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:59 AM

I've re-done a dozen or so Kohlers and I have seen embossed numbers and letters on the inside of pistons, that were just casting numbers. I have also seen the Kohler part number cast into the inside bottom skirt. All the over sized pistons i have used were marked .010 .020 or .030.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and larryd have said thanks

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:01 AM

Morning gentlemen. This morning I finally get to get back to working JD314.

I took the rings and and piston and checked the ring gap. I got .021-.022 . Specs say .020 .

I don't see any no's on piston that say 10 , 20 , or 30 .The only thing I found was the letter A on the inside on 1 side and the no 237406 on the inside on the otherside.

I don't have any way to mic cylinder or piston with going to a machine shop .

Does this number mean anything to any of you .?

larryd

Were you using the old rings to check the gap? If so, they could have some wear on them to give you a larger gap.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Usually if there's no 10,20 or 30 stamped in the top of the piston it's std bore.

Mike

• larryd said thank you

#6 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Boyscout862/gravely-power ,. Everything seems tight no slop , cyl or piston have no scratches or scuff marking . No ring groove.

Engine used a lot of oil . Ring grooves on piston seem to be ok.

I looked at a kohler parts list and have some cast no's  with part no's that come within 1 no of my cast no ( 237405 but no 237406 )

237405 is 30 over

larryd .

#7 brahlf OFFLINE  

brahlf
  • Member No: 9019
  • 11 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:26 AM

Put the piston in the bore and hold tight to one side.  Measure the clearance with a feeler gauge.  Do this at different heights in the cylinder.  Not as good as a mic but should give you some idea.  Mine smoked quite a bit, found out I had a 20 over in a 60 over bore.  Had to resleeve the block.

• Alc and larryd have said thanks

#8 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:26 AM

ol stonebreaker thanks , but their are no markings on piston top .

larryd

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:52 AM

If no numbers stamped into the top of the piston, then it's std size.  Most of your oil use is likely the oil control ring worn out.  Is this a one piece oil ring, or 3 piece style (2 rails over an expander)?  I've seen the rails worn down on the 3pc style to where the expander itself was contacting the cylinder.  When the oil control ring is worn, you can still have great compression & power, but smoke like crazy.  I almost always find the oil ring worn more than the compression rings.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and larryd have said thanks

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:57 AM

Last year I bought all NOS Kohler parts for my M 12; I was having no part of one of those Chinese kits they offer for cheap; I figure my engine was not made in China so why should I rebuild it with Chinamade parts? I buy Ebay when I can, but I found a place online that always beats the local guys (who told me a 0.010 over piston for a  Cast iron Kohler was NLA ha ha)   but also beats most of the online sellers price wise. 

Anyway I got my NOS/OEM Kohler piston along with a pile of other parts; I wait til I get a big enough order to pass the $300 free shipping threshhold.  

Anyway I opened the piston box, regular heavy cardboard genuine Kohler box  and inside was a piston with all the markings I'd expect from a Genuine part except one;  It said "made in India" on it  HUH?   is the stamp getting dull or off center or something? I think 2 letters are missing from that; I'd rather see something that says "made in Indiana" instead.

Edited by dodge trucker, February 07, 2013 - 09:58 AM.

• Alc, jms180 and larryd have said thanks

#11 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'll suggest asking around to find a shop or person to mic the bore and piston and have all the specs w/ you to find out for sure.
Mike
  • larryd said thank you

#12 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yes, "Genuine American Companies" often now have components made ALL over the world. I have a Chevy that by the build sheet is NOT classified as an American built car. My one son has a Mustang that by the paperwork is not an American car. Two other sons have Hondas that have every major component made in the U.S.A.  except the transmissions which show Japan. I have Snap-on pliers I bought off the truck last year as a gift for one son "made in China" on the box. So what is American now? When it comes to Kohler and Briggs I go with price and if when I get the parts if they are below my standards I move up the price chain. Hang in there we are all part of a "global" economy...like it or not.

• larryd said thank you

#13 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Last year I bought all NOS Kohler parts for my M 12; I was having no part of one of those Chinese kits they offer for cheap; I figure my engine was not made in China so why should I rebuild it with Chinamade parts? I buy Ebay when I can, but I found a place online that always beats the local guys (who told me a 0.010 over piston for a  Cast iron Kohler was NLA ha ha)   but also beats most of the online sellers price wise. 
Anyway I got my NOS/OEM Kohler piston along with a pile of other parts; I wait til I get a big enough order to pass the $300 free shipping threshhold.  
Anyway I opened the piston box, regular heavy cardboard genuine Kohler box  and inside was a piston with all the markings I'd expect from a Genuine part except one;  It said "made in India" on it  HUH?   is the stamp getting dull or off center or something? I think 2 letters are missing from that; I'd rather see something that says "made in Indiana" instead.

I saw Cummins rods 40 yrs ago stamped "made in Brazil". In stating this I'm in no way endorsing made in china products. I try to get the best prices on anything I buy, but still firmly believe in the old saying " Ya get's what ya pay for". The chinese right now are where the japanese were in the '50's & early '60's. They can copy anything on earth, just not very well!!
Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, February 07, 2013 - 10:11 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#14 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 10:36 AM

I used to work a farmer that bought a JD tractor cause new it was all USA. One day on the farm a relay went bad ( made in China ) he wasn't happy but was still under warranty .
larryd

#15 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 10:39 AM

I'm going to take to a shop Saturday and let a man mic everything and see what he says.I hope I can just ring it .

larryd