Garden Tractor Forums banner

Bolens With Rear Tiller Value?

11K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  oldiron 
#1 ·
Hi, first post, I found this site after several hours of searching google and the web for info on old Bolens tractors.
I've been wanting to plant a bigger garden and have been looking for something with either a rear tiller or that can pull a plow, or both.

A customer that I deal with at work has what is either a Bolens 1250 or 1450 with a rear tiller but it don't run. He says that the key switch broke and shorted out the ignition so they parked it. He's also got another tractor with a front end loader on it, also a Bolens, plus a snow blower and dozer blade/snow plow. I really wasn't looking for two tractors but he won't separate the lot. The one with the loader has four new tires, the front tires are 6 ply trailer tires, brand new, and he's got two tractor tread ag tires on spare rims ready to go on it.

He's asking $3000 for the lot, he says he will not sell either tractor separate.

Does this sound like a reasonable deal? basically its two tractors, one with bucket loader, the other with a rear tiller, a dozer blade, snow blower, and a set of brand new tires. I attached one pic, I took several but the rest were too dark to see inside the building. The tiller is nearly as wide as the tractor. The tines look good plenty of meat left. The seller tells me it was running within the last year, it has good compression, just no spark.

I wasn't planning on spending my who refund this year on tractors but the more I think about it, it may be nice to have one with a loader around here.

He's also got three Brinly pieces, which he's not too sure whether or not he wants to let those go, they are not part of the Bolens lot, but there's a three pt Brinly disc, rake or cultivator, and a 10" plow. What should I offer for the oher attachments if I decide to buy the two tractors? I'd pretty much be in business as far as being able to expand my garden here with everything. He left it at 'make me an offer on the Brinly three point hitch items'. I have no idea what all three would be worth.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm going to go look at them tractors this week... There really not worth it without being rinnong

#4 ·
He is asking to much.

#6 ·
If its not worth $3000, then what are they worth?

Any one care to itemize the lot with values?

This guy made it pretty clear he won't haggle, from the sound of it he really don't care if he sells them or not. It was pretty much as take it or leave it attitude.

I only found out about it after I overheard a conversation about some guy wanting to buy just the loader. I had told him I was looking for a big tiller machine for the yard in the conversation and he brought up the list of stuff he had, I stopped by today to look.
The place was packed with tractors, but he will only sell off one if every one of that brand goes with it.
I can understand that since I'm that way with my cars, years ago I was heavily into Mopars, Fords, Chevy, and VW, I sold off most of the VW stuff first, but got stuck with a ton of stuff the guy didn't want simply since he wasn't capable of making use of a load of internal engine parts and engine blocks, he only took the cosmetic parts and body parts.

When I sold off th Mopar items I sold it all off as a huge lot, held out for my price and got it. It took a few months but it all sold and I gained lots of room in the garage and cash to finish a few other projects. While I got good money for the VW's and parts I sold, I still got left with a truck load of expensive, no longer available engine parts. Slowly they'll sell but I won't give them away.

I think the seller here is thinking the same way, if he only sells me the 14hp model, then he's got no tiller, If he sells only the 1250, he's got no loader, and I don't want just a tractor, My perfect deal would be the 14hp or the 12hp with the tiller and the loader, I don't give a hoot about the rest of the items unless he'll sell the Brinly items too. He's not likely to give those away since he said uses them on another machine himself.

#7 ·
Wow! I didn't realize there were this many Bolens tractors in this area.
For one, if I were to sell mine, I'd most likely part it out, but since I'm not selling any of mine, nor selling any parts I'd also probably only sell the whole lot for what ever I figured I could get if I parted them all out. For what ever amount that would be, would be the price that I'd let them all go for.

I would no way let two even complete parts machines go for that amount, these parts are just too hard to come by these days.
When was the last time you saw a loader for sale or a large frame tiller?

I'll take a crack at what it sounds to me as a lot of buildable parts including to complete machines that just need some work.

Providing both have viable engines, no broken rods, no seized engines, etc.
Any older Johnson loader for a GT is worth $1500 plus, any more depends on the application and size and condition of the bucket.

The 1250 tractor alone, not running, but no major damage should bring in the $400 to $500 range depending on condition.

The 1455, if that's what we're talking about here should bring about the same, maybe a bit more, again depending on condtion. I'd gladly pay $300 for a complete large frame even if the motor is shot, maybe more.

The rear tiller is worth upwards of $350, maybe more at the right time of the year, and were getting to that time of the year now.

A good, non rusted deck with all its parts will bring $200-$250, parts decks or bare shells are maybe $50 at best.

The snow plow should bring $150 or so, maybe more in the fall or winter. The snow blower should be in the $200 to $250 range if its in working order with all its brackets.

Items like driveshafts, u joints, hydro pumps, and hitch and lift parts are hot items online as well.
I needed a driveshaft U joint for one of mine and the best I could do in two years was $80 plus shipping. I bought a used carb for $60, and two 3pt hitch arms for $150.

I just sold a loader for an older JD for $1700, I bought it with the intention of making it fit my Bolens 1455 but found a proper loader for that machine at auction. I then sold the 110 in pieces.

#8 ·
Welcome to GTT. I think that the prices are high for my area but its always what are you willing to pay. I will tell you that of the 30+ tractors that I have my 1250 is my favorite GT. The Bolens large frame tractors are great, I have 2- 1250s and an HT-23. I have three big bucket loaders and couldn't live without atleast one. I use the smallest a couple of times a week. Most Bolens parts are easily available but expensive. The manuals are available here for free download. If you have good mechanical ability you could probably make out okay. Good Luck, Rick

#9 ·
After all my searching around it don't seem like a matter of what I'm willing to pay but what I have to pay to find a decent larger GT.

People either keep them till they're completely worn out or junk or they simply will not sell them.

Nothing new comes close and I'd spend three times what this guy is asking for one tractor and maybe no attachments.

The newer machines this size seem to concentrate on being mowers more than anything else.

I've been looking around for a few years and this is the first one I've found with a front loader, and the only shaft drive tiller I've run across for sale that's not worn out.

My plans are to go with cash on Saturday and see if I can maybe make a deal. Unless I can find something better in the mean time I don't think I should let this deal go by. I may never see another, and if I do it's only likely to cost more in the future. The prices of these things keep going up and up.

#10 ·
Welcome to GTtalk, 2manytractors! Glad u found this site.

I don't know alot about the fel, but I used to have a 1456 with just a tiller that ran great that I foolishly sold for $425. The tiller on a Bolens is awesome. Does a heck of a good job tilling. Plus the feature of turning the nut on the axle to allow for real two-wheel drive it sweet!

#11 ·
Nothing new comes close and I'd spend three times what this guy is asking for one tractor and maybe no attachments.

The newer machines this size seem to concentrate on being mowers more than anything else.

I've been looking around for a few years and this is the first one I've found with a front loader, and the only shaft drive tiller I've run across for sale that's not worn out.

My plans are to go with cash on Saturday and see if I can maybe make a deal. Unless I can find something better in the mean time I don't think I should let this deal go by. I may never see another, and if I do it's only likely to cost more in the future. The prices of these things keep going up and up.
You've thought it through and I can relate. It is one stop shopping and if you get em and its not a major PITA to get em running, then hey... :thumbs: We're here for ya either way. Again good luck on gettin the best deal for you !!!

#13 ·
... a Bolens 1250 or 1450 with a rear tiller but it don't run. ... another tractor with a front end loader on it, also a Bolens, plus a snow blower and dozer blade/snow plow. I really wasn't looking for two tractors but he won't separate the lot. The one with the loader has four new tires, the front tires are 6 ply trailer tires, brand new, and he's got two tractor tread ag tires on spare rims ready to go on it.

He's asking $3000 for the lot, ...

Does this sound like a reasonable deal? basically its two tractors, one with bucket loader, the other with a rear tiller, a dozer blade, snow blower, and a set of brand new tires.

He's also got three Brinly pieces, which he's not too sure whether or not he wants to let those go, they are not part of the Bolens lot, but there's a three pt Brinly disc, rake or cultivator, and a 10" plow. What should I offer for the oher attachments if I decide to buy the two tractors? I'd pretty much be in business as far as being able to expand my garden here with everything. He left it at 'make me an offer on the Brinly three point hitch items'. I have no idea what all three would be worth.
First, :welcometogttalk: Glad you decided to join.

I don't believe it is too bad a deal, if everything is in good condition. As stated, loader $1500. Running tractor with loader seems to bring around $2-2500. Tiller or snow blower: $250-500 each. Plow blade: $100-200. Ag tires minimum $150+. Another tractor for parts $150-200. Brinly plows seem to be getting expensive $100-125. Single disc or Cultivator: $50-100 each. I recently bought a plow/disc/cultivator as a set for $150 but was missing a few peices. Prices in your area may vary.

Any decks? Buy it and have an instant Bolens collection. Fix and sell non-runner or part out to help recoup some money. Just my $.02.

#14 ·
the problem is with the 1455 by the time you buy it buy a battery and parts your going to be 1500 just on that.. he wants retail prices but wants to sell a package

#15 ·
I pretty much figured on having to dump another grand into the tractor, even if it takes repowering it, which I doubt would be the case, its still a cheap way to a rear tiller set up. I don't think I can do any better elsewhere. I'd love to find a ready to run rig for $3K with both a loader and tiller but haven't seen anything below $6K. I'll grant it those were small diesel tractors but how many models would I have to choose from like a Bolens?

#16 ·
If the thing has compression, and you can see the ignition switch fell apart, chances are the module got a shot of battery voltage by accident. If so its toast.

What I did on mine was to use a modern 12v E coil, and an early 4 pin HEI module from a GM distributor mounted on a chunk of aluminum for a heatsink. I used the original blue wire for the trigger wire coming from the stator, and used the white wire for the other trigger wire to the module. These two wires produce enough voltage to trigger the module to ground the coil. I wasn't sure it would last but I've been running mine like that for almost two years, its got at least 80 hours on it since the conversion.

While I agree the price is high, you won't get anyone to part with their machines with all that for that kind of money here.
I tried to buy a running 1476 with two wheel weights, Johnson loader, rear weight box, mower deck, Brinly disc and double row plow, and a tiller last summer, he wouldn't budge. The thing was like brand new, I offered him $5,000 cash and he wouldn't sell.

He bought the thing at an auction a few years prior for a song, he flat out told me he got the whole set up for $400 at auction but said he'd die with it. This is usually the sediment you find with these old tractors, its not the money, they just don't want to part with them. They do the job at hand, they're paid for, and many have sedimental value. It takes a lot of cash to break the bond of sedimental value. That may well be the case with the tractor you looked at, or the seller doesn't care if he sells them. Are they advertised anywhere? He may not really want to sell them. If so, you have no choice but to pay his price, which to me don't sound all that bad if you itemize everything. Its not cheap or a steal, but its certainly fair for him. He certainly won't be able to replace all those items for what he's asking.

Last year I had an extra Brinly 3pt disc, I bought it at an auction, it looked unused but lightly surface rusted. I picked it up at an estate sale along with a load of other equipment fairly cheap. Since it was in better shape then the one I was using I put mine aside as a spare, lubed up the new one and put it to use. The old one sat around for a bit, I swapped out the best disks with my other sleeve hitch model, and listed the old one on CL for $450. I got no replies other than lowball offers. I got tired of lowball offers and put it up at $800 cash, 'serious inquiries only'. I got three emails the second day, the first guy came to look but had no money, wanted to trade for junk, the second guy emailed, called, then showed up from half way across the country, asked if I'd take less, I said make an offer, he said $700, I said $750 and it was sold. he loaded it up in his minivan and left.

Now I regret selling it since I bought another machine since, regardless of how much cash it brought.

As far as the Brinly items, you will pay $250 for a new single row modern disk set up, at least that for a plow, and I'm not sure if they even offer a heavy duty cultivator these days.
If someone came to me wanting my 1250 with its loader, deck, snow plow, and weight box, plus my 1455, plus a large tiller, and a snow blower I'd be well over $3000, I'm not sure I'd even let them go for $5000. I don't much care what people say their worth, it would take more far more than $5000 to replace all that equipment even with something used, and chances are anything I got wouldn't be built near as well as these old Bolens machines are. Plus, I know what I have now, if I started over I'd be back to square one setting everything up to where I want it.

If your not going to jump on that deal, PM me with some info. I wouldn't mind having two more machines here, especially another loader and rear tiller set up.

#17 ·
the problem is with the 1455 by the time you buy it buy a battery and parts your going to be 1500 just on that.. he wants retail prices but wants to sell a package
(First post, been reading here now for almost a week and finally signed up)

From what I read, if it is indeed the case, the 1455 sounds like it needs a new ignition switch, a battery, and a new ignition module. If he buys the thing at say $500, (what it was valued at in the list above), then buys a new battery, $72 at Walmart for a group 22, then an ignition switch for at best $15, then either springs for a new ignition module roughly $100, he's no where's near $1500.
If it were me, I'd go get a generic ignition switch at Autozone, (they carry mower parts), a new battery at Walmart, and rig up a battery ignition using a 12v coil and automotive ignition module. The Bolens oem trigger coil will give enough voltage to trigger almost any igntion module. It won't work with a Ford TFI though. I rigged mine up years ago to use a Ford Duraspark box, I used the blue wire from under the flywheel to fire a Ford coil from the same vehicle. I wired in a ballast resistor as well.

I also took the ignition switch from the same truck but I wasn't in anyway trying to stay original. My goal was just to make it run as cheaply as I could. I paid $900 for my 1455, the module lasted a year then died, I bought a used module, it lasted another year and it too died. It's been running on the Motorcraft ignition module for 4 years now.

I wish I had a FEL on it, but the closest I came was at an auction last summer where one for a JD sold for over $2100. If it were an exact fit, I'd have jumped on it but it was set up for a JD 315.

There was a complete machine up in northern PA a few years ago at an Agway type dealer, they had a row of used machines out front, the Bolens was in the back row. It didn't run but had a Johnson loader on it and manure bucket. It had G78-15LT snow tires on the back with chains, and two new trailer tires up front. It didn't run, the Kohler twin was blown and not rebuildable. They wanted $2500 for it and the best price I got out of them was $2300 cash. I figured I'd give it a try again a few months later but it was gone. I was told they parted it out on eBay.

I realize I'm pretty far down the line here but if no one else here is interested in the 1250 with the loader or maybe they only want the tiller set up, I'd gladly buy one or both, or the whole lot. I've been searching now for 7 years and not been able to put my hands on a loader for mine. There was a JD 400 loader on eBay not long ago that sold for $1999. If it weren't 800 miles away I'd have considered it. There was a Sears/Quickway loader listed for $999, but it was rough, and I had no idea if would be too small for the Bolens width wise.

For the most part those loaders are the same, the only differences I've seen is how the pump mounts and the shape and angle of the forward support.

Side mounting brackets can be fabricated easily, and often made much stronger than those supplied with the original kit.

I helped install a loader on a buddies newer JD, the kit cost him over $3K. He paid just over $800 for an optional bucket as well.

I think the days of $1500 loaders are gone, unless you find a naive seller or get real lucky and stumble on one at a yard sale I'd expect to pay far more these days. They also seem to be in far greater demand these days then say 5 or more years ago. With the cost of new machines, its hard to get someone to part with the one they have.

#20 ·
Post like this make me feel like selling all my stuff so I can be rich just saying.

:D

#22 ·
I got a surprise today when I got home, a buddy who hits the local auctions found me a pair of tractors, one is junk, but it runs, an old MTD with a loader on it, along with a Bolens 1250 with a rear tiller. It rough but it was cheaper than the one's in Vineland. My plan now is to strip the loader off the MTD Lawnflite and install it on the 1250. The 1250 runs but needs a proper air filter, and the transaxle pump is appart with three dozen bags of new parts in a box plus a new plastic fan. There's no headlights, they're both smashed out, the seat is missing but I can mount up any seat, I have an arm style seat off a fork lift I may use. The tiller is a narrower model than the one I looked at before but he got both machines for $1780 with the buyers premium. He wants the MTD to cut grass but don't want the loader, which works out perfect, I'll mount the loader up on the Bolens, figure out a way to rig up the pump, and then get the trans straightened out. From what I see the pump don't look all that bad to fix, there's a bunch of small parts and bearings, plus a shaft with a rotor of some sort. There are two housings, one marked bad with masking tape.

The rear tires are filled, solid, no valve stems. I'm not sure what with, but it looks about like the stuff they spray bed liners with from what I can see around the valve stem holes. The front tires need at least one tube, I'll just buy two new 6 or 8 ply front tires since I'm intalling the loader too. I'll also have to make up a weight box of some sort since I intend to use this with the tiller in place with the bucket on. I figured a bucket full of dirt will help smooth out the tilling too.

I guess if the weather isn't too nasty tomorrow its off to find some steel to make loader mounts for the Bolens.
I've got an old Sears tractor out back that I can steal a set of headlights from, and maybe even a seat for now.

I'll still pursue the other two tractors, maybe he'll come down on price. They are in a lot nicer shape but for now the goal is to get this ready for garden work by spring.

I was already to go buy both of the other machines tonight when my buddy called about these at some auction. I'm just hoping this one don't bring any big surprises. I'm not too fond of having to start it with a jumper wire and stop it with a screwdriver but it works.

The first order of business though is to get the MTD ready to run and get its loader off.

The pump on the MTD drives off the top of the vertical shaft engine, they added a pulley and belt where the top screen used to be. I'll need to find a way to mount the pump under the hood of the Bolens somehow. I was thinking of just removing the most forward of the three belts and using that belt to power the hydraulic pump? Will the PTO still have enough belt drive traction with just two belts? If not, maybe I can rig up something off the starter belt on the rear pulley? The one I looked at had its pump mounted to the loader frame and driven off the motor, but I didn't notice how exactly it was powered.

I also will have to check the front wheel bearings on the Bolens, my buddy towed it home on its front wheels. The thing has a 2" reciever bolted to the rear, so he took two ball mounts and bolted them together sideways to make a link and towed it back here like that with the rear wheels off the ground and the front wheels riding on the highway. He said he went slow but I'm sure Bolens never intended the front wheels to do highway duty.

I'm sure he got some strange looks riding with one tractor in the back of his SUV, and the other dragging along behind it. I would have never known if a neighbor hadn't come over and told me how he brought it there, between making it clear it wasn't legal to tow a garden tractor that way and several comments about my yard looking like an episode of Sanford and Son I'm sure he got a good laugh. Some of the 30 plus junk tractors outback need to be thinned out a bit. I suppose now that I got the Bolens I can scrap some of the junk sheetmetal tractors outback behind the garage and start piling in a few more Bolens machines instead.

Attachments

#23 ·
That link to the blower could be the same seller, the blower he had there was red, and there were several of those Orange Jacobsen tractors in there too. He didn't mention listing any for sale but he did say he'd sell the snow blower and decks separately, he just won't sell the tractors without everything going. Maybe if he sells the blower, the price will come down accordingly. If he comes down even slightly I may have to jump on both of those. I just don't need anything but the loader and tiller. I'd love to own the Brinly disc and plow but he was pretty clear about not wanting to sell any of the Brinly 3pt attachments.

#24 ·
well i wish you luck and yes that his blower on CL

#25 ·
Now I see the blower and two or three other machines that were there when I looked at the two Bolens tractors.
That Jacobsen is nearly the same size as the Bolens, 3pt hitch too. I'm not sure if it runs or not, but its listed for only $300.

What is a blower like that worth? Its got to be worth more than $150?

For me, there's not enough snow here to care about a blower, if the snow gets that deep the neighbor digs me out.

I've only needed more than a snow shovel twice in the past 10 years here. If we got that kind of snow here I'd move farther south.

The way I look at that lot is that I need the tiller, the loader sure would be nice, but I have no use for the mower decks or snow blower, and I'm not sure how useful the snow plow or dozer blade would be if I have the loader. I'd rather turn it into a rear scraper.

If I knew I could get back some money selling the decks, blower, and maybe the plow blade I'd buy the whole lot right now, but if I end up sitting on the other items I have to wait until I can spare the cash after my income tax money gets here.

If I could recoupe say $150 for the blower, $200 for the decks, and another $150 for the plow I'd be loading them up right now. That would put me right where I wanted to be and I'd have three tractors here instead of one in pieces.

I started to figure out the hydrostat pump here for the first Bolens, but its like a jigsaw puzzle not having been the one who took it apart. There's a few parts that don't seem to belong. I wish there was a way to test one of these before installing it.

I also hunted down some large angle iron to make my loader brackets with but I'm considering doing something else rather than just bolt on brackets, I was thinking of making up a complete crossmember that either goes through the Bolens frame or under it to set the rear of the loader on. The front braces are easy, I just have to make uprights to meet those up front, but the rear needs serious support. I picked up two huge pieces of 3" water pipe, I intend to make a new cross brace with one, the other may become my crossmember for the loader.

I was thinking of running the tube through the frame with two flanges at each side of the frame, then I'd weld on a flat plate to each end to sit the loader on, attaching the loader via two large U bolts, one on each side. I'd also move the loader back as far as I can. On the MTD it sat way forward, putting too much weight just on the front axle. I figure I can move the loader back to the point where the hood just clears the bucket. I'm also thinking about ways to make the bucket hydraulic vs just a trip lever.

#26 ·
I see the other ads in Vineland are down, the guy either sold them or decided to keep them? The only add I see is for the Bolens snow blower.

I did catch a deal today on a rebuilt 14h Wisconsin S12D, built up with an S14D top end. The guy had receipts for over $1100 but let it go for $850.

It may find its way into my 1250 here if I can't raise the cash and go get the two in Vineland. I got some time into the 1250 in getting the loader brackets cut and made, but the weather hasn't been cooperatiing very well. I still have lots of cutting and welding to do. Not having a deck here its hard to figure where the brackets can and can't sit.

Where and how to power the pump will also have to be decided. The pump is already set up for belt drive, so all I need to do is make it work off the 1250's motor.

The costs are adding up quick though, I have $1300 in the 1250 and the loader, $200 in steel to make the mounts, $40 in paint for the loader, $72 in tune up parts for the tractor, $850 in a spare motor, $140 getting the starter/generator rebuilt, another $100 in front tires, and I just ordered a pair of Carlisle loader lugs for $250 shipped. I'm far from done too, I need a new seat, the one from the MTD is just a cheap hard seat, The guy who I got the motor off of sold me a used 1250 seat and pan for $100, all I need now is to get it recovered. The guy at the local upholstery shop quoted me $200 to make a copy of what it came with originally. I gave him the dried out remains of a seat that I had, hopefully the result looks like it a factory seat.
I found a guy who has four wheel weights for sale for $200, I may make the drive up for those this weekend. I also plan to fill the new lug tires.

Something else I noticed on this tractor is a crack in the front frame bracket, the rear tab or casting is loose from the bracket. I tore it all apart, and have the two halves, I'm not sure if I should try to weld it or just hunt down a new front bracket?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.