Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:42 AM

Tillers are not worth $400

#32 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • Member No: 27717
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 10:51 AM

I can't say what one is worth but I've been looking for one since I found my 1250 last week and the best I've found so far is a 25" wide model without its driveshaft and none of the links to hook it up to the tractor for $200. I saw another one that was too far away with everything listed as needing new tines for $250.

From what I'm finding Bolens attachments just aren't out there, the stuff is hard to find when you need it, unless you are willing to pay top dollar or drive a thousand miles.

#33 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:23 PM

I just saw a Bolens TF tiller on CL here a few weeks ago without any brackets for $350, it apparently sold since I see the tractor the guy was also selling for sale about 60 miles north of here. The tiller was rough and pretty smaller than most, I believe they had one that was almost as wide as the tractor is.

Finding a tiller by itself is tough, most with big Bolens don't sell things off, they hoard parts and attachments.

I can't blame them since none of it is being made anymore.

Edited by oldiron, February 22, 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#34 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:29 PM

I just saw a Bolens TF tiller on CL here a few weeks ago without any brackets for $350, it apparently sold since I see the tractor the guy was also selling for sale about 60 miles north of here. The tiller was rough and pretty smaller than most, I believe they had one that was almost as wide as the tractor is.

Finding a tiller by itself is tough, most with big Bolens don't sell things off, they hoard parts and attachments.

I can't blame them since none of it is being made anymore.

Sold for you dont know...

List price dont mean sale price but I think you know that.

Edited by wilberj, February 22, 2013 - 07:29 PM.

• oldiron said thank you

#35 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 10:36 PM

I paid $400 for my first large frame tiller about 10 years ago.

And sold that same tiller for $425 last year to a guy in Maryland. And it cost him about 100 for the shipping.

So IMO they are worth decent $$ to some.

I have 6 now that came with different tractors that I've bought over the past years.

#36 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 12:08 AM

Sold for you dont know...

List price dont mean sale price but I think you know that.

Sure, I agree there as well, but who would sell a working tiller for less than $400? You sure can never find stuff like that when you want it for cheap, why give it away?

I feel any good working PTO tiller is worth at least $350, which isn't much more than a good walk behind tiller these days. Try buying a good working vintage Troy Built rear tine these days, I sold two last summer on CL for $600 each.

I sold the belt drive tiller I had here for an older Ford tractor in ok condition for $475 and took a new pair of 23-8.50-12 ag tires in trade. The thing sat on CL for a year before I got four or five real contacts on it, the first guy had no money, wanted it for free, the second guy wanted it but had no money, wanted to trade for junk, the third guy showed up, didn't even care to see it work, paid me and left. The buyer drove down from CT to buy it, over 300 miles.

As an example here, I just picked up a Johnson Loader off CL, it wasn't listed under farm & garden, the guy had it in with household items, it had been listed for several weeks. Its a loader off a JD 140, I got it for $250. I stopped for gas on the way home, I had three people stop and offer me cash on the spot. The loader was rusty looking, the brackets were cut off with a torch but the main loader was untouched. After deciding  that my current project, a JD 112 wasn't heavy enough to justify a loader, I listed it back on CL, the ad was up for 8 minutes at $1500 and I had a guy email, call, and show up to buy it. Less than 20 minutes elapsed from when I listed it to when it left here for asking price. There was no pump, just the loader, no mounting hardware, nothing, I didn't even know if it worked.

What you have to realize is that something is always worth, and at the same time, only worth what someone is willing to pay. That someone may or may not be right there when you want to sell it. Sure, you can lower your price and attract even the cheapest buyer, but to me the true value is what it WILL sell for. Just like a buyer who waits for a deal, will eventually and inevitably find a deal, a seller who bides his time and waits for the right buyer will eventually get his price.

Along the same train of thought, you usually do get what you pay for, most people who hold out for their price are pretty confident in what they have, its the novice or uneducated seller who gives things away and in most cases never realizes what he could have sold it for.

If this wasn't true many of us would never own some of the vintage machines we all have. I got my 112 last week for free, its a basket case but the owner gave me $1000 in new parts. I got my Bolens for free, an elderly woman down the road was selling her house, I helped her keep the grass cut and the place looking sellable while it was listed, I also cleaned out her basement and garage for free. She gave me her husband's 1455 when she finally sold the place. I had revived it and used it to maintain her lawn. Along with it came a 3pt hitch, Brinly disc harrow, plow, Bolens snow blade, and a Sears self powered rear tiller. I sold the tiller for $550 on CL last year after buying a Bolens Large frame tiller at an estate auction for $22. The Bolens tiller needed a new driveshaft, but the tines were good, and I resealed the gear box and gave it a coat of paint. The driveshaft would have cost me $155 online, but I made one using the ends of a deck driveshaft and a length of 2" pipe. It works fine. I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money. There isn't anyway I'd let it go for $400, or even $500 for that matter.

Its a matter of owning what I want and not at all about what any of it is worth. I don't need the cash, I don't need the tractor and all the toys either but I like them so they stay. This alone is what drives the price of anything collectible. People will buy and compromise on what they need, they will put off buying things they don't need, but when they WANT something, some will beg borrow or steal to get it. I suppose one day maybe I'll tire of all the old tractors and move on to something else, but until then I'll have a shed full of old tractors.

We all have a little bit of the hoarder mentallity in us, its what drives any collector.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#37 junkpile OFFLINE  

junkpile
  • Member No: 27830
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 03:32 AM

I'd gladly give $400 for a working tiller if that was what I needed. There's not much out there these days built like one of those and the last I looked they're not all that common in working order.

I did get a chance to email that seller, I actually made a sweet deal on another tractor but he said he had a deal pending on the Bolens stuff already. The tiller don't look like its had much use, the tines are barely worn at all and the driveshaft joints are all in good shape. The loader is off something else, but its mounted very well, they even added some extra support. I'm not thrilled about the welded on pump bracket but that can be changed pretty easily. The rest of the stuff looked pretty much unused.
The snow blower spun nicely and had no wear at all. The two new Titan tires were sweet too. I made an offer on some other items but we couldn't come to a price so I left it at that. I don't think he set out to sell everything Bolens, he basically was freeing up some space, but got a ton of offers on individual tractors so he set a sale price.
To be honest, after seeing the two machines, that 1250 is pretty nice, its not worn out, its just dusty and got some age on it. The loader appears to have been fine the way it is, so why fool with it? I'm sure after looking at it that the mounts they made for that loader far exceed anything that came with any kit.

I have to agree with oldiron above, what something is 'worth' isn't what we want to pay, its more like what we would actually part with something for. If that's the case, if those were mine, I'd be asking a lot more.

I'd have to redo that list put up prior here on this lot of stuff:

1250 $850

Johnson 12 FEL with 60" spike bucket and weight box $1500

Bolens 15" wheel weights $150 x2= $300

Titan 27x850-15 loader lug tires on repainted Bolens wheels $300

Bolens LF Snow Plow $150

Bolens Snow Blower $250

Bolens 1455 $500 as is

Bolens LF tiller w/drive shaft $400+

Spare front axle with spindles and tie rods $100

Spare transaxle minus pump $?? Didn't see it there but seller says its included.

Spare hood, $50

Spare fender pan $100

Spare Steering gears, dash, steering column, and wheel, $150?

I basically see at least $4000 in face value parts here and that's not itemizing it as if I were parting them out.

If I were to part it out, figure three times these prices piece by piece on fleabay.

The engines in both tractors feel super strong, both have excellent compression by feel, The 1250 gave me a zap so its still got spark, and the fuel tank don't look all that bad, I'd probably toss in the spare fuel tank there, change the filter and give it spin, I'd be willing to bet it fires right up.

If the deal he's got don't go through, he's got my number, I'll gladly take the whole lot. The 1455 is in OK shape, its complete but not nice but very useable for a garden machine, the 1250 can be made nice with just some cleaning and maybe some fresh paint here and there. I'd probably pull the loader off it and make that one perfect again, then mount the loader on the 1455 as my work horse around the yard here. The 1250 would get a full resto. It won't take much. How often do you run across 45 year old tractors with their original seat covers intact? That alone shows it wasn't used very much.

#38 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:40 PM

I guarantee I will never pay over $200 for a tiller. Anything over that is way overpriced!

#39 junkpile OFFLINE  

junkpile
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Do you have any for sale for $200? I could use one ASAP.
The last one I saw sell local with a driveshaft here went for $350 and it was rough, it had been outdoors for the past 40 years and well used. I passed on it because it needed everything. The tines alone would cost me $300 or more to replace. That one in Vineland is like new wear wise. Its also got the extension making it even wider.

#40 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Nope, only have the one. It came with the tractor, mower, and front blade, all for $200. The tractor is my avatar! And I don't buy stuff on E-Bay. I refuse to pay what they want there!

#41 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 05:12 PM

I gave probably $400 for my CC tiller, but it was In very good shape.

#42 junkpile OFFLINE  

junkpile
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 05:39 PM

I just sold a rear tiller for an LGT/Jacobsen for $650, It wasn't on CL for a day before it went.

The tiller brought $650, the snow blade went for $225, the motor, with very low compression sold for $400, the deck sold for $500 complete. The guy who bought the deck drove here from Kansas City to pick it up. All were on CL, every bit of that machine was gone in a week. I gave $70 for it at an estate sale along with a twin that ran. I sold the running twin with a deck for $1200. 

I should have parted both of them out.

There's a huge difference what someone here will pay in most cases and what the average guy who needs it will pay.

I've been in the same situation, I needed two new ag lug tires for my one machine last fall, not wanting to wait I went down to the nearest dealer and bought two new tires for $327 installed for 23-10.5-12 size Carlisle True Powers, a week later I picked up a spare set off CL on the back of a ragged out Cub Cadet for $100. I kept the tires and parted out the CC. The K301 alone in that thing brought $300, I got $200 for the tiny mower deck, $100 for the frame rails, and $250 for the transaxle. The hood and grill were damaged but still sold for $50 each. I sold the front axle for $75.

The guy that bought the axle drove here from MD. He was surprised that I sold it so cheap since the dealer wanted four times that much. Best of all the steering wheel brought $100. My prices must not have been too high since every bit of that thing sold.

In the end, both of my machines got new tires, only I paid full price for one set and basically got the other set for free in the end.

I rarely buy parts, but I buy a lot of parts tractors. Just because I can buy a whole machine for $100 from someone who is desparate for money or space doesn't make those parts worth any less. If  a tractor won't sell whole it gets parted, sometimes I hate doing it but its a matter of paying for this hobby.

I rarely sell whole machines these days, its hard to get more than a few hundred bucks for a whole machine.

I just bought a 1455 today for $100, drove it on the trailer. It was on CL for $100 for a month or more with no takers for $150 OBO. Its rough but it runs, but I know I can sell the bits off the motor for more than I paid for it. The ignition module alone will sell for $75 or more if I were to go that route, but I'll most likely keep it for my own parts supply. Maybe I'll find a $200 tiller for it.

Personally, if someone wanted the tiller I do have here, a 33" LF tiller, and offered me $500 cash, I still wouldn't sell it since I can't find a replacement for it for any amount it seems. I need it and will never part with it for any amount of cash.

When it comes to spare parts, if I no longer own that model or have more then enough spares for myself, then I'll sell parts, but I will not give parts away, if I can't get fair value for them, they sit on the shelf till I do.

#43 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 06:49 PM

Tiller values vary wildly, based on location and availability.

For instance, a Bolens round back tiller for the tube frames in my area is worth 200.00 MAX if it's in REALLY good condition.  A large frame square back tiller in really good condition, 300.00-350.00 depending on if it has the drive shaft with it or not.  The tube frame tillers are in plentiful supply, and the large frame tillers are not rare.  It's all a matter of supply and demand.

There are areas in the country where the Bolens tractors were so popular that even those prices would be high.  In other areas where very few Bolens were sold, the same prices would be considered a great deal.

The same could be said for most of the common attachments for all of the tractor brands.  For rare attachments like Flail Mowers, etc, location doesn't come into play.  Condition and the BUYER'S wallet determine the price.

#44 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 08:06 PM

To add to the BS...

For $1,000,000 cash you guys can buy all my tractor stuff.

#45 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 12:30 AM

Itemize it all and we'll see. :D

---------------------------------

I suppose we won't know what the tractor in question here is worth unless someone buys it and gets some real info about it up here. I have  a gut feeling its still a deal just because of the attachments and loader included.
The only real way I can say what something is worth is if it were mine, and I were selling it. Otherwise, I like most others value things by finding faults to bring down the asking price. If your dealing with a seller who don't care if it sells or not, your just going to have to pay his price. Judging from another post on here, these things have gotten a lot of attention lately but no buyers, either no one has the cash, they're junk, or he just don't want to sell them. Not having heard or seen either machine its a hard call, but its not hard to imagine the sellers $3k asking price figuring there's a FEL included, regardless of what model or style bucket. Any FEL that's not rusted out or bent will sell for over a grand and how close it gets to the average $1500 eBay price I've seen depends on how complete it is. The only 'not so desirable' loaders I can think of are manual release type models, like the Johnson 10.

I have to agree, a tiller will bring upwards of $350 in these parts, maybe more depending on the brand. Bolens stuff is pretty thin here so it brings a premium when it turns up.

If you never pay more than scrap weight for anything, you will always come out ahead, but that's by far not its true value. An old timer once told me that there are buyers and sellers, most are usually good at one or the other, but those who master both are the only ones who succeed. I say this here because if your looking at those two machines as an investment, the price is way high, but if your looking at them to use, its pretty fair if you consider yourself the end user. Those prices are retail and there's no meat left on the bone so to speak. You could squeak a bit more out of those things over time but is it worth the hassle. One point I have to add is that if both were running, that would could ad a great deal more value to the package. Only someone who has been there and really checked them out can make the call as to whether or not they may be runners or not with minor work. Keep in mind though that if you can't do that minor work yourself, its not minor anymore.

Most shops charge in the $90 to $150 range per hour here with an hour or more minimum charge.

Most are right around $100 to $115/hr.

• boyscout862 said thank you