• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • Member No: 27717
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hi, first post, I found this site after several hours of searching google and the web for info on old Bolens tractors.
I've been wanting to plant a bigger garden and have been looking for something with either a rear tiller or that can pull a plow, or both.

A customer that I deal with at work has what is either a Bolens 1250 or 1450 with a rear tiller but it don't run. He says that the key switch broke and shorted out the ignition so they parked it. He's also got another tractor with a front end loader on it, also a Bolens, plus a snow blower and dozer blade/snow plow. I really wasn't looking for two tractors but he won't separate the lot. The one with the loader has four new tires, the front tires are 6 ply trailer tires, brand new, and he's got two tractor tread ag tires on spare rims ready to go on it.

He's asking $3000 for the lot, he says he will not sell either tractor separate.

Does this sound like a reasonable deal? basically its two tractors, one with bucket loader, the other with a rear tiller, a dozer blade, snow blower, and a set of brand new tires. I attached one pic, I took several but the rest were too dark to see inside the building. The tiller is nearly as wide as the tractor. The tines look good plenty of  meat left. The seller tells me it was running within the last year, it has good compression, just no spark.

I wasn't planning on spending my who refund this year on tractors but the more I think about it, it may be nice to have one with a loader around here.

He's also got three Brinly pieces, which he's not too sure whether or not he wants to let those go, they are not part of the Bolens lot, but there's a three pt Brinly disc, rake or cultivator, and a 10" plow. What should I offer for the oher attachments if I decide to buy the two tractors? I'd pretty much be in business as far as being able to expand my garden here with everything. He left it at 'make me an offer on the Brinly three point hitch items'. I have no idea what all three would be worth.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens w tiller.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:41 PM

Welcome to the forum, not any help on your questions but we have some real Bolens gurus here who will chime in soon I'm sure.

#3 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:58 PM

I'm going to go look at them tractors this week... There really not worth it without being rinnong

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:00 PM

He is asking to much.

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:30 PM

:welcometogttalk: Glad you found your way in. Even with the feL it'd be nice to see better numbers. For 3k he shouldn't have to hold back the Brinly stash.( IMO) Hope you end up with  a mutually fair deal.

#6 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:47 PM

If its not worth $3000, then what are they worth?

Any one care to itemize the lot with values?

This guy made it pretty clear he won't haggle, from the sound of it he really don't care if he sells them or not. It was pretty much as take it or leave it attitude.

I only found out about it after I overheard a conversation about some guy wanting to buy just the loader. I had told him I was looking for a big tiller machine for the yard in the conversation and he brought up the list of stuff he had, I stopped by today to look.
The place was packed with tractors, but he will only sell off one if every one of that brand goes with it.
I can understand that since I'm that way with my cars, years ago I was heavily into Mopars, Fords, Chevy, and VW, I sold off most of the VW stuff first, but got stuck with a ton of stuff the guy didn't want simply since he wasn't capable of making use of a load of internal engine parts and engine blocks, he only took the cosmetic parts and body parts.

When I sold off th Mopar items I sold it all off as a huge lot, held out for my price and got it. It took a few months but it all sold and I gained lots of room in the garage and cash to finish a few other projects. While I got good money for the VW's and parts I sold, I still got left with a truck load of expensive, no longer available engine parts. Slowly they'll sell but I won't give them away.

I think the seller here is thinking the same way, if he only sells me the 14hp model, then he's got no tiller, If he sells only the 1250, he's got no loader, and I don't want just a tractor, My perfect deal would be the 14hp or the 12hp with the tiller and the loader, I don't give a hoot about the rest of the items unless he'll sell the Brinly items too. He's not likely to give those away since he said uses them on another machine himself.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 12:39 AM

Wow! I didn't realize there were this many Bolens tractors in this area.
For one, if I were to sell mine, I'd most likely part it out, but since I'm not selling any of mine, nor selling any parts I'd also probably only sell the whole lot for what ever I figured I could get if I parted them all out. For what ever amount that would be, would be the price that I'd let them all go for.

I would no way let two even complete parts machines go for that amount, these parts are just too hard to come by these days.
When was the last time you saw a loader for sale or a large frame tiller?

I'll take a crack at what it sounds to me as a lot of buildable parts including to complete machines that just need some work.

Providing both have viable engines, no broken rods, no seized engines, etc.
Any older Johnson loader for a GT is worth $1500 plus, any more depends on the application and size and condition of the bucket.

The 1250 tractor alone, not running, but no major damage should bring in the $400 to $500 range depending on condition.

The 1455, if that's what we're talking about here should bring about the same, maybe a bit more, again depending on condtion. I'd gladly pay $300 for a complete large frame even if the motor is shot, maybe more.

The rear tiller is worth upwards of $350, maybe more at the right time of the year, and were getting to that time of the year now.

A good, non rusted deck with all its parts will bring $200-$250, parts decks or bare shells are maybe $50 at best.

The snow plow should bring $150 or so, maybe more in the fall or winter. The snow blower should be in the $200 to $250 range if its in working order with all its brackets.

Items like driveshafts, u joints, hydro pumps, and hitch and lift parts are hot items online as well.
I needed a driveshaft U joint for one of mine and the best I could do in two years was $80 plus shipping. I bought a used carb for $60, and two 3pt hitch arms for $150.

I just sold a loader for an older JD for $1700, I bought it with the intention of making it fit my Bolens 1455 but found a proper loader for that machine at auction. I then sold the 110 in pieces.

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 05:35 AM

Welcome to GTT. I think that the prices are high for my area but its always what are you willing to pay. I will tell you that of the 30+ tractors that I have my 1250 is my favorite GT. The Bolens large frame tractors are great, I have 2- 1250s and an HT-23. I have three big bucket loaders and couldn't live without atleast one. I use the smallest a couple of times a week. Most Bolens parts are easily available but expensive. The manuals are available here for free download. If you have good mechanical ability you could probably make out okay. Good Luck, Rick

#9 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 01:37 PM

After all my searching around it don't seem like a matter of what I'm willing to pay but what I have to pay to find a decent larger GT.

People either keep them till they're completely worn out or junk or they simply will not sell them.

Nothing new comes close and I'd spend three times what this guy is asking for one tractor and maybe no attachments.

The newer machines this size seem to concentrate on being mowers more than anything else.

I've been looking around for a few years and this is the first one I've found with a front loader, and the only shaft drive tiller I've run across for sale that's not worn out.

My plans are to go with cash on Saturday and see if I can maybe make a deal. Unless I can find something better in the mean time I don't think I should let this deal go by. I may never see another, and if I do it's only likely to cost more in the future. The prices of these things keep going up and up.

#10 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, 2manytractors!  Glad u found this site. 

I don't know alot about the fel, but I used to have a 1456 with just a tiller that ran great that I foolishly sold for $425.  The tiller on a Bolens is awesome.  Does a heck of a good job tilling. Plus the feature of turning the nut on the axle to allow for real two-wheel drive it sweet!

#11 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 05:06 PM

Nothing new comes close and I'd spend three times what this guy is asking for one tractor and maybe no attachments.

The newer machines this size seem to concentrate on being mowers more than anything else.

I've been looking around for a few years and this is the first one I've found with a front loader, and the only shaft drive tiller I've run across for sale that's not worn out.

My plans are to go with cash on Saturday and see if I can maybe make a deal. Unless I can find something better in the mean time I don't think I should let this deal go by. I may never see another, and if I do it's only likely to cost more in the future. The prices of these things keep going up and up.

You've thought it through and I can relate. It is one stop shopping and if you get em and its not a major PITA to get em running, then hey... :thumbs:  We're here for ya either way. Again good luck on gettin the best deal for you !!! 

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Welcome to the forum.  I hope it goes well for you in the deal.  Glad you found us and joined.

#13 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 05:52 PM

... a Bolens 1250 or 1450 with a rear tiller but it don't run. ... another tractor with a front end loader on it, also a Bolens, plus a snow blower and dozer blade/snow plow. I really wasn't looking for two tractors but he won't separate the lot. The one with the loader has four new tires, the front tires are 6 ply trailer tires, brand new, and he's got two tractor tread ag tires on spare rims ready to go on it.

He's asking $3000 for the lot, ...

Does this sound like a reasonable deal? basically its two tractors, one with bucket loader, the other with a rear tiller, a dozer blade, snow blower, and a set of brand new tires.

He's also got three Brinly pieces, which he's not too sure whether or not he wants to let those go, they are not part of the Bolens lot, but there's a three pt Brinly disc, rake or cultivator, and a 10" plow. What should I offer for the oher attachments if I decide to buy the two tractors? I'd pretty much be in business as far as being able to expand my garden here with everything. He left it at 'make me an offer on the Brinly three point hitch items'. I have no idea what all three would be worth.

First, :welcometogttalk:  Glad you decided to join.

I don't believe it is too bad a deal, if everything is in good condition. As stated, loader $1500. Running tractor with loader seems to bring around $2-2500. Tiller or snow blower: $250-500 each. Plow blade: $100-200. Ag tires minimum $150+. Another tractor for parts $150-200. Brinly plows seem to be getting expensive $100-125. Single disc or Cultivator: $50-100 each. I recently bought a plow/disc/cultivator as a set for $150 but was missing a few peices. Prices in your area may vary.

Any decks? Buy it and have an instant Bolens collection. Fix and sell non-runner or part out to help recoup some money. Just my $.02.

#14 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 07:24 PM

the problem is with the 1455 by the time you buy it buy a battery and parts your going to be 1500 just on that.. he wants retail prices but wants to sell a package

#15 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 10:20 PM

I pretty much figured on having to dump another grand into the tractor, even if it takes repowering it, which I doubt would be the case, its still a cheap way to a rear tiller set up. I don't think I can do any better elsewhere. I'd love to find a ready to run rig for $3K with both a loader and tiller but haven't seen anything below $6K. I'll grant it those were small diesel tractors but how many models would I have to choose from like a Bolens?