lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:47 PM

I went over to a friend house to blow the snow off their drive way and I turn off the JD 212 and we =talked for about 5 minutes.  time to go home and the JD 212 would not start.  they drive me home and I got my pickup and ramps to load up the JD 212.  But first I tried jumping it.  after tried for 15 minutes it started.  So I loaded it on the pickup and went home.  Hot home it started and drive it off the pickup and into the garage.  Missed around it the garage for a while and tried to start the JD 212 it would not start.  so I started checked things over and decided to get new plug, points and condenser at the JD dealer.  So I put in the plug, points and condenser and it would not start.  Checked the spark will the spark plug tester and no spark.  pulled the points and clean them and tried again, still no spark. Started checking it with the multi-meter.  had 12+ volts at the coil. good.  then I checked the voltage from the coil to the points.  It was over 3 volts.  checked the coil - check out okay.  tried to find out what the voltage should be at the points.  did not any answers on the web.  so I slept on it and driving home from work I stated thinking what would be causing the problem.  New parts and old (very old wiring),  so I make a test wire to go from the coil to the points.  Quess what.  It started.  So I make a new cable to go from the coil to the points.  And it started again.  So I thought lets try putting back the old points back in.  I checked them first and they looked good.  It started.  Okay lets try the condenser.  Well it started.  So after hours if working on the JD 212 ( which I like working on)

the old plug, points and condenser back in and a new wire, all is good again and I got new replacement parts for the next time.  

30+ year old wiring can be a problem that we over look.  So I am think it is about new to make a new wiring harness for the JD 212.  It should help a lot with the electrical problems.

I hope you all like this little story.

So the next time I have a problems starting it I will check it with the spark plug tester and and try a test wire again to see if the wire from the coil to the points is bad.

I hope It last 30 + years like the first one did.

• Alc, Trav1s, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:57 PM

I had a similar problem with my 120 after I picked it up.  Turned out the coil was bad and heat would cause it to fail until it cooled off.  Glad your figured out the problem fairly easily.

Edited by Trav1s, February 06, 2013 - 09:57 PM.

• lyall said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for sharing, A lot of these older GT's wires start to have insulation breakdowns. If you look at that wire really closely and bend it around, I bet you find a break or a bare spot in it.
I'm glad you got her up and running before you get another snow, I don't like shoveling snow!

• lyall said thank you

#4 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:59 PM

"shot gunning" maybe the best answer for the older stuff, but this is " one more tool for the tool box". It sill may not fix it. I have seen flakey switches and bad crimps cause all kinds of problems.

• lyall said thank you

#5 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for sharing Lyall! Good info and you are right, we forget the age of the GT's.  Some of mine are as old as I am!  :driving_tbucket:

• lyall said thank you

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 06:00 AM

You've taught a good lesson. I've had problems because of mouse nests in the engine and they chew the insulation.

• lyall said thank you

#7 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 06:26 AM

There shouldn't be any voltage drop in the wire between the coil  and the points. That was the clue that something was wrong with the connection between them. Most likely the bad connection was at the terminals on the ends of the wire. These get loose, dirty or corroded over time and then get to the point where they make an intermittent connection which can be hard to find. Electrical gremlins can be hard to diagnose. Aren't you glad you did this yourself instead of paying someone else to replace all the parts and learn the lesson.

• lyall said thank you

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,456 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 06:31 AM

Glad to hear you found the tricky problem :thumbs:

• lyall said thank you