John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Well I'm back kind of, my last few posts were from my i-phone, finely one end of the road is open, was able to get out at 4 pm Sunday, I didn't even care that it was the long way out, adds about 4 miles from my house to main road, what I saw was unbelievable, I stopped counting the tree's and poles that are down around here. I drove for many miles and everything was closed, finely found a gas station open, (cash only & no change) so if you gave them a fifty and only could take 38 dollars of gas they won, I took every drop! (Still can't believe they did that). Got a call today that other end of road is open, so as I turned onto road leading to mine, I was so happy as people had lights on, yes we have power, then I turned onto my road, it's passable but no power at all. So I pull down my road fire up the generator and when I went inside my phone ring and then I noticed my phone had connected to my network, damn I have internet! , then I checked cable, I have cable! but still no power. Took a walk with a hi-powered light to check street pole wiring, the boys are going to have fun putting it all back together, I'm thinking if I have it by Wednesday I be lucky. But at least I can get out to work to pay for the gas, :bigrofl:

Here's a few pictures from my weekend, enjoy!007.JPG 009.JPG 001.JPG 001.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• 021.JPG
  • 002.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 004.JPG
  • 005.JPG
  • 006.JPG
  • 002.JPG
  • 003.JPG

• MH81, KennyP, HowardsMF155 and 1 other said thanks

#92 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,296 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Glad to hear you guys weathered it OK, Couple more days and the lights will be back on and then starts the cleanup. Thanks for letting us know you got out and things are returning to normal. Oh, and the Case -Deere looks like it did a fine job.

#93 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Glad to hear you guys weathered it OK, Couple more days and the lights will be back on and then starts the cleanup. Thanks for letting us know you got out and things are returning to normal. Oh, and the Case -Deere looks like it did a fine job.

:iagree:

Geno

#94 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 09:05 PM

A few more001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• 006.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#95 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 10:19 PM

John, glad to hear you're at least "free at last"!  Folks, what happened to John is exactly what happened in this county a couple of years after I bought this house in the late 90's.  Some people went more than 4 weeks without power!  They were carrying picket signs out on US Rt 9 demanding Central Hudson get back to their neighborhoods.  We were only out 3 days, but it was bad enough for folks that didn't have any alternate heating or a way to preserve their food.

I used that 3 days to make a list of things I absolutely needed to not go through anything like that ever again including 35 gal. total gas storage.  That's 5 steel cans, full generator and tractor at all times.  Several times it's looked like it could happen, ice storms, snow storms, windy/rainy hurricane remnants and tornadoes have all gone over his neighborhood.  I'm still surprised at how many people around here still have not taken their own and their kid's comfort and daily needs into consideration before getting that outdoor Hollywood hot tub. 

• John@Reliable said thank you

#96 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 08:19 AM

John, glad to hear you're at least "free at last"!  Folks, what happened to John is exactly what happened in this county a couple of years after I bought this house in the late 90's.  Some people went more than 4 weeks without power!  They were carrying picket signs out on US Rt 9 demanding Central Hudson get back to their neighborhoods.  We were only out 3 days, but it was bad enough for folks that didn't have any alternate heating or a way to preserve their food.

I used that 3 days to make a list of things I absolutely needed to not go through anything like that ever again including 35 gal. total gas storage.  That's 5 steel cans, full generator and tractor at all times.  Several times it's looked like it could happen, ice storms, snow storms, windy/rainy hurricane remnants and tornadoes have all gone over his neighborhood.  I'm still surprised at how many people around here still have not taken their own and their kid's comfort and daily needs into consideration before getting that outdoor Hollywood hot tub. 

Your right Harald, guess I was about 90% prepared, more gas storage is already in the works. The gas issue was my biggest problem, I had everything filled,checked, test fired (even chainsaws) and 15 gallons stored, the street bring blocked both ways out wasn't counted on, but if can happen once, it can happen twice, lesson learn .............. :thumbs:

P.S. I noticed when I was trying to clean the road out, many new homes down the road have nothing for rural living, they were out walking looking at how pretty the snow was, but after day 3 not many smiles, and walking was to stay warm, waiting for the plow guy to save them. :smilewink:

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#97 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 12:53 AM

"...test fired (even chainsaws)..."

Every time they predict any sort of "event" nowadays I always feel the need to put the 026 and it's fuel can inside the porch.  Years ago when we lived "in the woods" I had 23 trees felled by a micro burst/tornado and one of them  sealed off the tool shed.  That was the most bow sawing I've ever done at one time!   Now if I have to cut my way out of the house and into the shop ever again, I'll be ready!:D

#98 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 03:17 PM

The Blizzard of '13 is *almost over for me, power came back on @ 10am today after being out for 109 hours.

* Went into one of my sheds for the first time today since the storm and found a dead coyote pup in there, once it's gone this storm will be in the books for me! :D

• MH81, KennyP and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#99 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 05:38 PM

John, glad you finally have power back on. How bad were the cars hurt?

• John@Reliable said thank you

#100 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 11:00 PM

John, glad you finally have power back on. How bad were the cars hurt?

Kenny, they are all kind of drivable, but wife's only good weather (no wipers). First car on left (daughters) has a hole and large impression in roof, middle car (wife's) needs a hood, windshield, and two complete wiper arms and blades, truck (mine) hood, grill, right fender, wiper arm, windshield, and both headlight assembles,  was able to move the good wiper so one clears it for now. Up to a week for new windshields around here due to storm and wiper arms are dealer order only, no after market available. Never gave the wipers a through, but most newer cars/trucks are no longer what we remember, just grab a ANCO arm the right length and you would be ready to go, now they are just for one model car, just another pain to deal with. All will be in the body shop soon, wife is driving a car from her work until hers is fixed, a "benny" after 30 years on the job.    

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#101 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Glad to here you made it through all that! Sorry 'bout the damages