skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Well just finished... burned 1.5 gallons of diesel blowing this stuff. I was leaving black stripes from the exhaust in the sides of the cuts lol. Had a minor breakdown on the first pass. Tensioner spring broke . Drove into the nice warm shed and had it fixed in a few minutes .Now its easier to use too. I ddon't know why I didn't so this earlier?
I'll post a video later of how deep this stuff was.

On another note; Jon , you guys got a whippin' !!! Sorry to hear about your vehicles, that stinks... I hope you have good insurance???

#77 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 03:52 PM

And I thought I was having a lousy time.  All that happened to me was that the Berco stretched a belt and all I had in reserve was an old chewed up one.  She finished the job but did not have the power she usually does.  Lots of seat time today but it wasn't all fun.  1 hour of "prep shoveling", 1 hour on the tractor, 1/2 hour fixing the tractor, another hour on the tractor, 1/2 hour with the walk behind, then "finish shoveling".  I'm getting too old for this.....

So sorry to hear about the cars. 

#78 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 05:13 PM

"Perfect Storm" here... 12" fluffy snow, no damaging wind, got neighbor out for work 8 AM, got the usual 3 air horn toots and a smiley thumbs up from the plow driver (he always points to the tractor and grins)... 

I actually used my Stihl BG85 blower in this storm to clean off the grill, trash/recycling containers, porch steps and the back of the car in the carport.  Finally some snow that's not "tainted" with rain!  I must admit to being in the wrong place at the right time...  An avalanche of snow fell out of one of the big pines just as I was clearing out by the bird feeders and sure enough Wifey was watching out the picture window...  She seemed to enjoy my discomfort having a shovel's worth of snow on my head, in my lap and down my neck.:D

Hope everyone else is OK and sorry about those cars!!

• twostep said thank you

#79 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:54 PM

On another note; I think I saw Jon's cars under a big tree on the news tonight ???
  • olcowhand, powerking56, bgkid2966 and 1 other said thanks

#80 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 08:31 AM

Guys, going back to shoveling out of the close to 3ft we got around here. No power failures unless you count the major FAIL to Gt system. Problem started yesterday am when I foolishly tried tinkerin with my carb adjustments (Tec HM100) which took way to much time and left me much worse off then before. Had snowcaster mounted and running, it bogged and quit and bogged and quit. Bottom line I dialed this thing out of sync and have way more shoveling than I thought I would. This could probably been solved quickly by many of you (Who know what youre doing and what not to...)  1st major snow and all the mis-prep has me :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :(  

#81 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 08:48 AM

1st major snow and all the mis-prep has me :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :(  

Was it just screw adjustments or did you play with linkage?

If just screw, start over. Take both out to 3/4 open and adjust from there.
  • Newpaws493 said thank you

#82 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 12:33 PM

Wish I could post some pictures still a major mess here. Worst is I can get to road but that's it, blocked by trees both ways out. I used the Case and blow about 1/3 mile of road to see if I could get out that way but around the last bend I saw. another tree, just put last of gas in generator off to try to get some out of motor home, hope I filled last time out. Did find a new neighbor that has a Ingersol tractor down the road, he couldn't believe the work my little 224 was doing on the town road. Finelly someone to talk to about Case. All the cars are hurt but driveable windshield , hood, wipers, roof dents. Biggest concern now is gas house was down to 42 this morning and 5 outside.Kids are happy schools already cancelled til Tuesday. So how' s your weekend ( lol )

#83 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 12:40 PM

John, I sure wish some of us could help you in any kind of way possible.  If I could I would!  I've been over 15 days without line power, but always had generator power.  Your house is getting mighty cold.  What type of heat do you have?  Any form of heat available at all?

#84 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 12:49 PM

John .hope things start to get better for all you that got hit so hard . Al

#85 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 01:06 PM

John will you be able to take gas from your vehicles that got damaged from the trees for your generator ?

#86 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 01:11 PM

John, sounds like you've really been clobbered by this storm.  Wish I could help somehow.

#87 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 01:51 PM

John, I sure wish some of us could help you in any kind of way possible. If I could I would! I've been over 15 days without line power, but always had generator power. Your house is getting mighty cold. What type of heat do you have? Any form of heat available at all?

We have heat while generator is on, boiler and pellets but due to gas shortage only using for hour at a time and not running after 11 pm at all. If I could get out for gas , no problem running 24/7. There are 12 other families that are also blocked from getting to outside world, the guy With the case I talk to earlier was out of gas already. And yes I did get some from cars, but newer cars r a lot harder to get gas from I found out, guess that's why I have heard people stealing gas nowadays just put a hole in the bottom of tank, I'm not at that point yet!

#88 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 02:04 PM

Just be careful & stay safe John & family.  I'll say prayers for you and everyone else in dire straights up there.

Hey,

I just had a thought...

May be time to co-habitate with the neighbors.  

Save heat, save gas, make for an interesting book later...

What better way to get to know everyone better? :D :poke:

(Just trying to add a little levity, really, I do mean it when I say Good Luck and stay Safe.)

#89 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,729 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Just got power back on. We got 26" roughly. I did two passes on the driveway that had roughly 3 inches on it, one with the bush hog and one with the berbro. Both did very well. 

The following morning however, bush hog, not so much, it being a single stage snow thrower couldn't handle the snow. Even with wax all over the shoot and other parts, it still got bound up. Thankfully the berbro 2 stage did the job nicely. Took roughly 4 passes though. 

I fueled up two days ago and bought extra to be safe. I helped the neighbor with his driveway and just stayed inside.

Sadly though, I lost my shed :( The roof caved in and it's going to need to come down sadly. I will likely build I much larger shed in the future though. This one lasted me a year, but buckled due to the weight.

The old generator I have is a Winco with a briggs on it. Bought it at a yard sale last year for $20 not running. Had it running in an hour. It burns a little oil, but for it's age, I can't complain. I am looking to upgrade though, this year to a generator that will power the entire house. It was 38 in the home this morning, fire place could only put out so much heat.

If anyone in RI, etc needs a warm place to stay, I have an extra room you're welcome too.

#90 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Guy's, I feel for you! Too far away to be of any help.