5 replies to this topic

#1 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 15368
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 04:42 PM

well, i got out to the shop today, and pulled off the "sprocket" steering system off of a Bean Cutler i got from Steve Johnson. this did not look correct to the machine, non the less, have i even seen anything like it on another one. as you can see in the pictures, it is a 2 piece design, and by my guess, looks like it has been modified to work somehow on the machine. there are grooves in the top plate, from the engine lift cable...this leads me to believe that someone machined off the old outer part of the pulley, and matched it to this "sprocket". i really dont understand why somebody would do this, as the steering wheel post is still set up for the original cable steer system.

bc sprocket2.JPG top side

bc sprocket.JPG bottom side

the reason i know the "center hub" is from a cable steer system is because of the design of it.

bc cable.JPG here you can see that the design is the same for the center, as it is on an original cable steer pulley....note that the bolt holes for the engine lift cable guides, are straight across from each other, on centerline with the bore.

here, you can see that on the updated chain steer pulley, the design if the center, is different from the cable system...the bolt holes are offset from the center of the bore, and the "oval" depression is more "heart" shaped, than a perfect oval like the cable steer pulley depression has.

bc chain.JPG

i am still not sure if this was some sort of factory modification, or a change made by somebody else....for reasons beyond me, seeing as it does not seem to have a way to work in combination with the correct cable steer hub on the steering wheel side of the machine. i hope that this will help get this figured out, and comments and suggestions are welcome...i am plain baffled on this one. this machine did not have an id tag on it either...its missing, so there is no way to know what year this one is unfortunately.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Looks to me like moving the cable rollers forward from the center line of the steering sprocket was a design change at the factory.
The sprockets on my Ridemasters all have the forward roller design.
Apparently moving the rollers forward helps with operating the engine lift while making a turn.

The spread between the holes is still the same as on the old cable pulley because the throttle plate that was on that chain sprocket fit right the cable pulley.

Edited by jdcrawler, February 06, 2013 - 09:58 PM.

• jim knutson said thank you

#3 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Looks to me like moving the cable rollers forward from the center line of the steering sprocket was a design change at the factory.
The sprockets on my Ridemasters all have the forward roller design.
Apparently moving the rollers forward helps with operating the engine lift while making a turn.

The spread between the holes is still the same as on the old cable pulley because the throttle plate that was on that chain sprocket fit right the cable pulley.

Ray, i knew that everything bolts up with no issues...my last paragraph is in reference to the "sprocket" hub assembly i have with the funky blue/grey paint on it. like i said, i dont know if it is something from the factory, or a homemade modification by a previous owner. if it is indeed a modification from a previous owner, and not the factory, they sure put alot of time and effort in making this change....and then either never modified the steering wheel hub to match, or they had some other way of using it that i cant figure out. i am getting ready to transfer the chain steer set-up onto my other machine, but thought i would pull off the odd one to see what it looked like off the machine.....it is certainly baffling!

#4 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:35 PM

I think the "sprocket" was a home made modification and not a factory made unit.

I base that judgement mostly on the fact that the modification was not completed with a corresponding sprocket on the steering wheel.

The tractor was probably owned by a tinkerer like me who had access to a lathe and the project never got finished.

It was most likely a well used tractor at the time this modification was done as evidenced by the groove worn into the hub by the engine lift cable.

Had they completed the modification with a sprocket on the steering wheel, I have to wonder how they planned to take the slack out of the chain ?

Both sprockets are in a fixed position and can't move to adjust the chain tension.

#5 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 05:56 PM

i have to agree Ray. to bad he cut up a good cable steer pulley. i will just replace it with another proper pulley in the future.

#6 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 10:45 AM

i have to agree Ray. to bad he cut up a good cable steer pulley. i will just replace it with another proper pulley in the future.

That brings up an interesting point that I've run into before on restoring things.

At the time that cable pulley probably wasn't worth hardly anything.

From the photos that I've seen of these Bean Cutlers, most of them were converted to the later chain steering.

Seams to me that whoever did this wanted the advantages of the newer chain steering but probably didn't want to spend the money for the newer parts from the dealer so he started making his own steering.

Now it's 60 years later and the parts for the cable steering are a lot harder to find than the parts for the chain steering.