• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 10:36 PM

The forecast is now 18" to 30". I got about 3/4 of my preps done and just got too tired. The important stuff is done. Now its just wait and see.

Yea you must be fairly close to me. About the same forecast here. Yup like we used to say at The Nuclear Power Plants " Hurry up and wait" :D

• boyscout862 said thank you

#32 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 01:20 AM

Just read the NOAA forcast and it's the most optimistic yet for this area, up to 18".  Wow, that's 2 inches higher than my blower attachment!  This one won't be a "Plow Event" if it lives up to it's press.  One can only hope!:D  Today we got in our "goodies" and filled the car and 1 more 5 gallon can of gas.  I worry about having gas for the generator more than I do the tractor since the tractor operation is usually no more than 4-5 hours per "event".  Supposed to get really windy so 20 gallons of gas might come in handy keeping the wood heat circulating fans running and Wifey's toilet flushing without buckets.:D

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 05:53 AM

Generator gas could be the major thing needed the way they are talking. Good luck to all of you up there!

#34 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 06:24 AM

My big brother has been in York, PA all week for his work and he is wondering if he will be able to fly back home to Missouri Friday evening.

Be safe out there! 

#35 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 06:57 AM

I read this post with envy when it first came up.  I wish I could get one good snow this year.  The weight of the snow is always a concern but you guys up north are pretty much used to that and you know how to handle it.  Now I hear about the winds.  Down here we are hearing a possiblility of up to 3 feet in the Boston area with up to 75 MPH winds.  That stinks.  I do not like winds like that.  On the bright side, the wind could clear your driveway for you.  On the not so bright side, if it does, you'll just end up with your neighbor's snow in your driveway.  Either way it's a losing battle until the winds die down.  A friend of mine works for a tree company and he has been dispatched (and is probably already there) to the New England area in anticipation so there are some proactive things going on to help you folks.

Our prayers are with you.  I hope you get some seat time that you can actually enjoy.  Stay safe, stay warm.  We understand if we don't hear from you for a few days, just check back in somehow as soon as you can and let us know you are ok.  I'm sure someone will set up a roll call thread so look for that when you are back on.  Good luck folks and may God be with you.

#36 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:17 AM

If you get snow in the amount equal to the rain we got last night, Oh boy. :nothingtoadd:

#37 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 06:07 PM

My big brother has been in York, PA all week for his work and he is wondering if he will be able to fly back home to Missouri Friday evening.

Be safe out there! 

If he didn't get out yet...Next flights arent expected til Sunday earliest. Vehicles were banned from road travel as of 4pm

• Gtractor said thank you

#38 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:00 PM

My big brother has been in York, PA all week for his work and he is wondering if he will be able to fly back home to Missouri Friday evening.
Be safe out there!

I live in York and it's been mostly rain for us today. They're not calling for any significant accumulations until you get much further north. I'm sure he got out fine.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#39 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 10:11 PM

I live in York and it's been mostly rain for us today. They're not calling for any significant accumulations until you get much further north. I'm sure he got out fine.

Thanx Jim,

He made it out early Friday and is home tonight.

• KennyP said thank you

#40 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,773 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 09:17 AM

We got more than 2'. Still snowing and blowing. Still have power, RI and MA don't. Temps will drop to about 0F tonight. Rain on Monday.

I'll start plowing after it stops snowing around noon. Glad I brought the tractor inside. I get to start out on a downhill run. Tomorrow I'll have to roof rake the bottom several feet so that the rain doesn't build up in the snow.  Good Luck, Rick

• ducky, MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#41 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,773 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 06:07 PM

I got in about 4 hours of seat time, now I need to find the preparation H.(LOL). The sun was out and the winds diminished until the sun was going down. Now they're blowing again.  The snow is varing from 2' to 3' deep. 
I've got the upper driveway and the cars clear. Tomorrow I'll do the lower drive way. Using a bucket loader was slow and tedious. I could only plow straight into the snow about 8' before I'd get stuck. After much trial and error, I found that a pattern of alternating diagonal cuts about 1/2 bucket width worked best. It was kind of a herring bone pattern viewed from above. 

I saw a neighbor snowblowing with an old Allis Chalmers. It seemed to work well. I have got to get my Big Ten together and going. I'm reeking of diesel exhaust and I'd prefer the gas tractor. I have a nice Curtis cab for it too.

I had mentioned roof snow loads. I was lucky, the wind blew most of it off. Flat roofs may be in trouble though. Especially if we get a lot of rain on Monday.

I hope all the rest of you are doing well. Good Luck, Rick

#42 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,773 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 06:29 PM

I just heard on the news that a warehouse has collapsed in CT. Has anyone heard from John@Reliable? He was saying that he was prepared but he is in one of the hardest hit areas.

#43 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 06:47 PM

I just heard on the news that a warehouse has collapsed in CT. Has anyone heard from John@Reliable? He was saying that he was prepared but he is in one of the hardest hit areas.

He was on earlier in another thread. Had a tree fall on 3 cars!

#44 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 10:08 PM

I wish i could of got some of that snow

#45 nade-em OFFLINE  

nade-em
  • Member No: 25213
  • 202 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 12:23 AM

I wish i could of got some of that snow

Me too! I've been wanting to really try out the snow blade on the JD 116. Then you can have it back !! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snow