skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hey Brian, you and Maynard are just down the road a piece from my relatives up in kennecook . I got me diesel all fueled and the blower on So bring on the snow!!

#17 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 12:56 PM

well when you get that much snow you have do get serious, i put away my bolens 20 hp with blower, and my wh 414-8 with blower and really started having fun with this toy, i have stereo, heat, tracks and 3 buckets and a 12 volt coffee warmer, just gloating, i have not had enough snow since i bought it 2 years ago, not so cheap insurance. so let it snow let it snow let it snow

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG
  • 004.JPG

#18 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 01:25 PM

Ya'll keep all that "mess" way up there.

#19 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Dodge Trucker, My brother (a Die Hard 4 Wheeler) has always said the difference between 4 WD and 2 Wd is it takes one Wrecker to pull out the 2WD and the 4 WD takes 2. I was a kid once, I was told but bullheaded enough I had to learn my lessons the hard way.

A four wheel drive only gets you stuck twice as deep and twice as far off the road. They still slip and slide, only you won't realize it until it is much to late. Best advice: slow down and don't try to be the hero. When its bad outside, as has been the case here lately, you will rarely find me driving the plow truck over 30 mph. Yah, I'm that guy driving too slow, but I haven't put one in the ditch in years, Knock on wood.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#20 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 05:48 PM

We had three feet a couple of years ago, but no big snows since I got my tractors last summer.  When you get a big snow, how much do you let it accumulate before you plow?  The most I have plowed was 4 inches, and I think I could do more without trouble.

That big snow was good for business (HVAC), but it almost killed me.  I was on call that Saturday, and worked from 7:00 A.M. until 2:00 A.M., digging my way in and out of every call.

Those of you living in mobile homes, watch out for deep snow on your roof affecting the furnace.  Mobile homes around here don't have tall enough roof jacks (chimneys.)  The deep snow over-tops the air intake and chokes the furnace, putting out the pilot.  I spent that snowy weekend digging a path to the houses, setting up my ladder in snow, and digging my way to the chimney to clean it.

• HowardsMF155, Michiganmobileman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Above all, you folks be safe up there when this hits. Get prepared for the worst. Be sure to stock up on fuel for the GT's.

And be sure to have camera batteries charged or spares!

Edited by KennyP, February 06, 2013 - 06:28 PM.
Added Comment

• MH81, boyscout862 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#22 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 06:50 PM

blower.jpg

Everything is ready here.  Just one more dang time before I shuffle off this mortal coil I want to see some snow higher than the snowblower intake (16").  Since 1955 when my house was built it has seen many "real" winters and stood up to all the snow they have produced.  Not so for the garage/shop, it caved in in '94 and I got a brand new upper structure already built for me when I bought the house 2 years later. (Thanks "Larry"! :D) The engine hoist frame made from oak 6X6 saved the rest of the building.

My GX can handle anything the NE can produce.  The 42" single stage will handle anything from slush to deep snow... and I always remember to blow the snow downwind. :D

"Be Prepared"?  I'm panting in anticipation!:D

Edited by HydroHarold, February 06, 2013 - 06:52 PM.

• MH81, Cat385B and boyscout862 have said thanks

#23 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:39 AM

The forecast is now 15" to 24"+ for Friday and Saturday. The kid came home early from college yesterday so I had him split and bring in wood. We now have about 1/2 cord in the basement with another half outside the door. Today will try for 1/4 cord of short cookstove wood. Went to the store last night and did our grocery shopping. Amazing how many empty shelves there were. Gas prices jumped 12 cents since last Friday.

In the roof snow discussion yesterday I forgot to mention ice dams. These are basically a build up of ice in the gutters and above the overhang of the roof. They can cause water to backup under shingles and damage the plywood. To prevent this I run electricly heated cables in the gutter and zigzagging over the overhang area. I put the gutter one in yesterday. It took over 2 hours because the gutter was full of leaves, ice and some water. I froze my fingers but atleast that part is done.

I decided to bring in the AC Big Ten and finish it late today. Tomorrow morning I'll give the basic tractor a test run. If all is good, I'll mount the cab and plow or snowblower to it. Then I'll take the wheel weights from the 850 and chains from a Wheelhorse to finish it. I'll makeshift a rear hitch counterweight. It is tempting to try the blower but I still worry about the condition of the driveway.

In case the power goes out, I'll try to bring my old minivan up next to the basement door. I put a generator in it, open the windows a bit and run a cord to the house. The generator is dry and secure that way. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Rick, sounds like you are getting ready. Good luck with all your plans.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#25 rut3556 OFFLINE  

rut3556
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 15910
  • 8 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 05:23 PM

I'm as ready as I'll ever be!!

Attached Thumbnails

• L2250.JPG

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#26 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 05:55 PM

:oh_shucks: I reckon so...Who's better'n you!? :thumbs:

#27 rut3556 OFFLINE  

rut3556
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 8 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hey, what's someone with a Beantown address doing on a tractor forum? What gives?? :-)

#28 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hey, what's someone with a Beantown address doing on a tractor forum? What gives?? :-)

It's a strange new world my friend

#29 rut3556 OFFLINE  

rut3556
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 8 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Well, I can understand..... we have a place down in Brookline too. :-)

#30 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 10:32 PM

The forecast is now 18" to 30". I got about 3/4 of my preps done and just got too tired. The important stuff is done. Now its just wait and see.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snow