• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:33 AM

We have had an easy winter so far in North Eastern Connecticut so far. The weather guesser from Fox just warned us that Friday to Saturday we should expect 6" to 2' of snow. As I typed this 6 deer ran by my window. Maybe they were watching?

For those of you in the warmer(dare I say smarter) climates who have been envying plow time let me tell you that 2' of snow is no fun. Be glad for what you have. But, given a choice, I'd rather face a blizzard than a tornado.

To use a GT would mean plowing several times over night in teen temps and blowing winds. The snow build up on the sides of the drive would narrow it from 12' to 8'. I will have to use my bucket loader and it will take 5 to 8 hours. There is the problem of where to put that much snow when you have over 600' of driveway to plow.  You need those little heat packs in your shoes, mittens, and on your back. Last time I had to handle that, I slept for almost 8 hours. I normally cannot sleep more than 4 hours at a time.

I now have to lay in an extra 1/2 cord of firewood and prepare the generators. I hope that by Being Prepared the storm will just decide to miss us. It will be hard work for the next two days but I can do it.

I wish all the rest of you good luck. Rick

• Alc, HDWildBill, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#2 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:39 AM

Thanks Rick.  Good luck.  Have you looked into a blower?  That sure makes it easier to get the white stuff back away from the drive.  Not that I have mine on yet, we have not seen more than 3 inches at a time so far.

Our area is forecasted to get 6 to 12 inches next two days.  Will see what we get when it gets here.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:40 AM

All you guys in the New England area are in for some snow. Best be ready!

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:45 AM

I've got several blowers but they don't work well on the gravel driveway because we had a thaw and a freeze up again. During the soft time a truck made a delivery and the driveway is a rutted mess. I also have too many toys parked along the driveway parking area.

Edited by boyscout862, February 06, 2013 - 09:46 AM.

• Michiganmobileman said thank you

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:53 AM

I hope all goes well for you Rick.  Sure seems like a lot of work though.  Have you ever considered heated clothing?  You can run a connector right off your battery and then plug the clothing into it.  There is a controller you can get to adjust how warm it gets so you should be fairly comfortable.  I use them when riding my bike in winter and I've ridden in 25* weather.  Be careful.

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:28 AM

We had something like this a few years ago.  We were told we could see 6" by morning.  Hearing that, I decided to wait until morning to plow, afterall, no sense in wasting gas on a few inches when only a couple more are coming, right?  I woke up the next morning to two feet of snow and it was still coming down.  30" in all.  I couldn't get the snow plow tractor going (turned out to be a bad ground connection) so I had to fire up the high lift.  I worked that poor little tractor for 8 hours straight clearing my drive and then my neighbors.  It was getting difficult to pile it anywhere.  Then we got another 6 to 8 the next day which made it really fun.  The plow wouldn't have done very well with snow that deep so it's a good thing it didn't start.  The little FEL was the only thing out working that day.

#7 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:44 AM

Guess all we can do now is prep and watch, Good Luck!

#8 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:45 AM

Snowblower ready, bush hog ready, no plow though. We'll get thru it!

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:03 AM

hey I have a 19 yo son that has never seen snow in the sense of what I grew up with in the late 70s/early 80s in the South suburbs of chicago... and keeps spouting off about how great it would be to get several FEET  in one storm;  he has a '90 Dodge 3/4 ton 4WD (no plow)  and thinks he is "invincible", thinking he can get thru it like going down the road like it's 85* and sunny in july;  I hope he doesn't have to get a hard lesson in how untrue that is.... but I get sick n tired of his wishes for that much snow/

This area is so shellshocked that all they gotta do is to "threaten" a dusting and the salt trucks are out in droves;  no wonder 5 year old trucks are rusting out worse than old Fords in the 70s did around here... or did they do a 40 year back step in metal protection in the auto industry?

No thanks you can have the snow!!!!  I have a JD 828D walk behind snowblower in the garage that I got in a trade about 3-4 years ago and has hardly been used; if it "stays" hardly used it wouldn't upset me any... I'd rather be out mowing grass.

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:12 AM

Since I have lived most of my life in warm climates so I'm just curious but is there ever a danger of to much weight on the roof?  I know we had a bad snow many years ago and a roof collapsed at a carpet plant in North Ga.  But it had a flat roof which is common around here.

#11 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:47 AM

Good Luck Rick !  Be careful, and stay warm and safe !    KennyP, I thought you were teasing us New Englanders, but I just checked the weather for my area and we just might get a good 'un.   I'll finally get a chance to play !  :-)

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'll try to respond to all the questions but first Thanks to all for well wishing. My loader is a 73 Ford 2000 with a 1000lbs counter weight on the 3ph and a FEL with a 5.5' bucket. As an Eagle Scout, son of an Eagle Scout and USGC Chief , and father of an Eagle Scout I try to always Be Prepared. As a very protective Dad, I really don't want to risk my son out in that weather. As I have explained to him, I've already had a long life his is still ahead of him. I've thought about the heated coveralls but what I really need to do is put a cab on my bigger loader. I took it off 15 years ago with the intention of repairing it and putting it back on. I may be able to finish my Big Ten on Friday, it has a cab and plow and blower. If I can get to it and if I can finish fixing the truck which is taking up the upstairs garage.

My theory on my 19 y.o. doing risky things is to explain it to him and let him make the choice. If he makes the right choice I congratulate him and that is it. If he makes the wrong choice I tell him NO and put my foot down. He tries to intimidate me because he's 3 inches taller. I have a hundred pounds on him and I remind him that if it comes to a fight I survived some real bad ones, where he has no experience. So far that has ended the few times that I've had to say no. Being a Dad is the toughest job to try to do right.

Bill your question about roofs is very timely. Two years ago we had a large build up of snow and ice on roofs around here. Many houses, barns, schools and commercial buildings collapsed. The State of Connecticut had to emergency hire engineering firms to inspect all state buildings. In the early 80s we had a winter where most of the newer steel outbuildings collapsed. I am a Professional Engineer. The building codes throughout this country are too lax. The snow load requirement around here is 30 pounds per square foot. There is a factor of safety on that so you shouldn't have collapse until over 50psf. Down South the code is lighter. People have been cutting corners on this for years. The code should be 40 psf everywhere with 40 psf tiedowns. This will take care of most snow and windloads up to 110 mph. It is what I did when I built my house. Good Luck to all. Rick

• KennyP said thank you

#13 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:58 AM

Since I have lived most of my life in warm climates so I'm just curious but is there ever a danger of to much weight on the roof?  I know we had a bad snow many years ago and a roof collapsed at a carpet plant in North Ga.  But it had a flat roof which is common around here.

Yes that much snow can be an issue with roofs in this area, there are plenty of stores, malls etc with flat or nearly flat roofs, and it can cause structural damage, what is worse is a big snow load and then RAIN, weight adds really fast as the snow acts as a sponge and holds all the moisture.  2 years ago I felt had to shovel the in-laws roof, a ranch with good insulation, there was about 36 inches of snow on the roof and we had a forecast of significant rain, just couldn't see risking a problem.   Many others in the area did the same.  With forecasts like this one all we can do is wait and see what happens......

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 12:18 PM

It's headed up the coast to us here in Nova Scotia as well. It early to pin down the amounts but the forecast is 35-45cm- 14-18" If this holds it will be the biggest storm we've had in years. I'll have to check the blower, fuel up the tractor and fill the wood box. It should be dry light snow so I'll try plowing it. I have a 300 ft driveway with a hill up to the road so if it gets too crazy I'll use the blower.

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Wish you all a lot of luck and be safe out there!! We have had Temps in the High 30's and nearly all the snow we got last Wednesday is melted. They are predicting Freezing Snow and Rain Mix Saturday afternoon into Sunday. The Temps are in that range where it is anybody's guess? So it's possible I won't make it to Church Sunday morning again. We Were cancelled on my Birthday (Jan 27) due to ice too. The end of Winter is in site, but a couple months off is not close enough to suit me. And February & March is often the worst around here.

Dodge Trucker, My brother (a Die Hard 4 Wheeler) has always said the difference between 4 WD and 2 Wd is it takes one Wrecker to pull out the 2WD and the 4 WD takes 2. I was a kid once, I was told but bullheaded enough I had to learn my lessons the hard way.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 06, 2013 - 12:35 PM.

• boyscout862 and Bmerf have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snow