Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Use Gts As A Tool When Cutting Firewood?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Dane in PA ONLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 502 Thanks
  • 582 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 08:46 PM

I've been thinking about splitting wood in the spring and into the summer to sell in the fall for a little extra pocket change until I can drive and get a job. I have been thinking about using the 140 as my primary "skidder" as it has ags on it, and I am planning to eventually get a blade for on the front, which will be nice to make a path to get to those hard to reach trees. I would build a log-arch and use a winch to lift the front of the log to make dragging logs easier so they don't hang up on anything. Just want to know your input, as I have everything to do it and by the time fall rolls around I'll have my liscense so I'll be able to deliver if needed. Also, pictures and stories are greatly appreciated. fing32.gif

Things I will need to do:
Service my splitter. (Loaned it out to a neighbor last year and don't know what they did...)
Build Log-Arch. (Find cheap ATV winch or hand-crank)
(Later) Build skid-plate for 140. (Don't want to break something underneath...)
(Later) Build push-bar (until blade is affordable).
Yeah... And some other stuff.

• MH81, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Sounds like an interesting endeavor   You can get a winch pretty cheap from HF, just watch for one to go on sale and sometimes you can use the 20% coupon even with it on sale.

• Dane in PA said thank you

#3 Dane in PA ONLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 582 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 09:21 PM

I think my local TSC has them fairly cheap somtimes. 

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Sounds like a good plan. Like Bill said, HF has a decent selection of cheap winches.

Also, I am not sure of your chainsaw experience. Personally, I only use a saw when somebody knows what I am doing, and they are not to far away. When taking a tree down, I always have somebody there; even if all that person can do is call somebody else who can help... It might save your life.
  • MH81, Alc, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#5 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:04 PM

When I was about 12-13,I did some log skidding with a Cub Cadet 100. I LOVED it. It couldn't tow a whole lot,but I wasen't skidding anything real big anyways. Now I do it with a 65 horse 4x4 John Deere. Not as much fun as using the Cub, though. I still use my GT's for hauling my little wood trailer around and moving the splitter from one place to another. Are you goingto be cutting downed trees and are the woods your goingto be cutting in flat?

Head,ear,face and leg protection is a must. I would get a hard hat with a face screen and earmuffs. And chaps are an absolute MUST.

My brother and I were cutting tops up in the woods one time. He was trimming the branches off the tops and I was pulling them to an open field. He cut a 6 inch jagged hole in his chaps right below his knee. Needless to say,he was glad he was wearing them!!!

I think it is a great idea. Just be careful!!! :thumbs:

• MH81, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:07 PM

Sounds like a good plan. Like Bill said, HF has a decent selection of cheap winches.

Also, I am not sure of your chainsaw experience. Personally, I only use a saw when somebody knows what I am doing, and they are not to far away. When taking a tree down, I always have somebody there; even if all that person can do is call somebody else who can help... It might save your life.

Excellent Advice Ryan.

• boyscout862, Dane in PA and larryd have said thanks

#7 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:14 PM

I love to hear stories of kids getting off their butts and doing something with their hands and minds out of doors. Three cheers to you Dane.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862, Dane in PA and 1 other said thanks

#8 Dane in PA ONLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 582 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:24 PM

I have all of the saftey gear, as this is what my dad did a few years back when he was out of a job.  We have the big toys with loaders and stuff, but I think it would be neat to use my own tractor to skid logs.  They will mostly be downed, my dad and pap will always know whats going on and will always be within ear-shot, and I have a cell-phone.  I have cut trees down myself before, back when dad was doing it I would go up after school and knock a few down while he split what he already had cut.  Figure I'm already familiar with it and should be able to do it fairly easily.  Thanks for all the advise.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#9 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:34 PM

Here are some pics of the log arch I built to use with my 420:

HPIM0768 (Custom).JPG

HPIM0765 (Custom).JPG

GARDEN TRACTORS 491 (Small).jpg

GARDEN TRACTORS 493 (Small).jpg

I prefer to lift with the winch, then chain the log to the arch before towing.  And don't use the "tail cart" on hills, let the log drag!  ~~  Lowell

• MH81, Alc, JD DANNELS and 5 others have said thanks

#10 Dane in PA ONLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 582 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:45 PM

attachicon.gif HPIM0768 (Custom).JPG

[img]http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/public/style_images/GTtalk/attachicon.gif[/img] HPIM0765 (Custom).JPG

[img]http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/public/style_images/GTtalk/attachicon.gif[/img] GARDEN TRACTORS 491 (Small).jpg

[img]http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/public/style_images/GTtalk/attachicon.gif[/img] GARDEN TRACTORS 493 (Small).jpg

I prefer to lift with the winch, then chain the log to the arch before towing.  And don't use the "tail cart" on hills, let the log drag!  ~~  Lowell

Thanks for the pics. Mine will be like your second one. Wouldnt be fun without dragging something.
  • larryd said thank you

#11 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 06:14 AM

I've skidded railway ties around my yard with my LA105 mower, and my nephews used to use a cheap MTD mower to drag logs (dead fall) out of the bush when they were too young to use the real tractor, so a real GT should have no trouble skidding logs, especially with an arch.

I can think of some real advantages too.  GTs are small and maneuverable, which would be a real advantage in the bush.  They don't suck fuel like larger tractors either, and they are a lot easier to get on and off.  I think you have a pretty solid plan for using your 140 for the job.

Be careful, have fun, and make sure the cords you sell are honest, full cords. 

• larryd said thank you

#12 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,320 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 07:48 AM

I was thinking of mounting a hydraulic pump on my Panzer  with some quick disconnect hoses to run a splitter off of it...

• Alc said thank you

#13 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:12 AM

my friend i got my old 1050  off from used it to clear some property where they were building there house. it worked great loaded ags and locked up in low range

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:13 AM

attachicon.gifHPIM0768 (Custom).JPG

attachicon.gifHPIM0765 (Custom).JPG

attachicon.gifGARDEN TRACTORS 491 (Small).jpg

attachicon.gifGARDEN TRACTORS 493 (Small).jpg

It's hard to top the advice of someone who's already been there and done it! Great Illistration Lowell!

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Dane the only thing I have to add is to keep accurate records of your expenses. So you can determine and assure that you make a profit.

If your going to run a business , make money!!  Or to quote Mr Miagui " If must fight... Win".

I Ran a lawncare business for many years, and it may be fun in the spring, but by the time you get into those Hot Humid Miserable days in August it's a JOB and not much fun at all. You have to make enough to make it worth the effort. Or You would rather be Fishing.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 06, 2013 - 09:25 AM.