jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Thanks to the investigating abilities of Jerome Wilber, I have come to the conclusion that the last Ridemaster that I restored that I believed to be a 1947 is actually a 1948 tractor.

This information is disappointing because I thought I had bought a 1947 tractor.

Jerome found a Ridemaster tractor with the identification information that is listed below:

35AA01 /model  R-161 /    Wisconsin -    AKS     ser#1115282

1115282  =
Serial Number Found!
Produced Year: 1948
Produced Month: June
Engine Model: N/A

My Ridemaster is model R-230 so that other Ridemaster is older than mine.
Logically if that tractor is a 1948 than my tractor can't be 1947 !

There was always a question as to just what the engine serial number was on my tractor because the ID tag was really messed up.
Here is a photo of the engine that came with this tractor.

509.jpg

The 1947 engines start out with 6-didgets in the serial number and the 1948 engines start out with 7-didgets.
As you can see by the tag, it was extremely hard to pick out any numbers at all.
I couldn't hardly make out anything from the front so I turned the tag over to see if I could read anything from the raised area of the punched numbers.
Whatever rubbed on the front of the tag caused the back of the tag to rub against the engine shroud so it was still very hard to make anything out.
I rubbed the tag with a black marker and a piece of wood and that brought up a little of the numbers.

It looked like there were only 6-numbers and the first number looked like it was a ( 7 ) ?
The rest of the numbers weren't any clearer so I had to guess the best I could at all of them.

Obviously, that first number had to have been a #1 and not a #7 and there had to have been another #1 in front of it for a total of 7-numbers ( not just 6 ).

Looks like I'm going to have to see if I can correct the serial number on this ID tag or buy another tag and re-stamp the numbers.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 05:18 PM

Ray, I hope you can find some other way to identify your RM, I hate that you thought you bought a 47 and actually got a 48 model.

• jdcrawler said thank you

#3 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 15368
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Ray, sorry to hear that. with more homework from people like Jerome, we should be able to get some more definate answers as to the years of production on both the Bean Cutlers, and the Ridemasters.

#4 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,210 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 05:37 PM

35AA01

R-137  

Is the lowest ser# I have but I dont have any engine numbers yet.

Sorry I may of made have to by a new tag over this.

#5 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Ray, I hope you can find some other way to identify your RM, I hate that you thought you bought a 47 and actually got a 48 model.

Over the years I have bought five of these Ridemasters.
Out of those only one of the owners actually new the correct year of his tractor and that was the 48 Ridemaster that I have left un-restored.
Every other owner was sure that there tractor was a 1947 model.
I knew when I bought them that none of them were a 47 except for possibly this one and that was only because it had the older ID tag.
However even if I had been able to read the engine serial number and known that it was a 48 and not a 47, I still would have bought it anyway.

I made a profit on the one I sold so I could buy this one and I'm very satisfied with what I had to pay for it.
So other than being a little disappointed that it didn't turn out to actually be a 47, I'm still very pleased with the tractor and it isn't going to be a big deal if I end up having to buy a new engine ID tag.

I have been posting this as a 47 and I just wanted to make sure that information got corrected.

Edited by jdcrawler, February 05, 2013 - 10:29 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Lauber1, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 01:53 AM

well im sure no one will hold it against you if you have mis id'ed your tractor. At least  your in the correct decade, unlike so many out here who all seem to have a machine built 10 yrs before the tractors came out.

If you are still having trouble with it by the end of the week, throw it in boxes and since i need a trip up to Bay City anyway i could make it disappear, so you can feel better...... :thumbs: