#16 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted September 30, 2010 - 07:47 AM

Kinda curious as what was the purpose of all that extra sheet metal.Was it supposed to be some kinda permanent heat houser.I've never seen pics of one like that before sooo kinda wondering what the purpose of that was. Larry

#17 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 30, 2010 - 08:08 AM

The "O" in "VAO" stood for "orchard". These tractors were used to pass between rows of fruit trees in orchards. Orchards prune their trees hard to force them to grow branches that are low to the ground to make fruit picking easier and safer. Fruit trees needed a lot of spraying to ward off bugs and disease and that's what many of these tractors did. They pulled spraying, misting, fuming equipment and you did not want the tree branches to get caught on the tractor as it passed along the rows. The sheet metal took away all the spots that the branches could catch on and that reduced limb and fruit damage to a minimum.
  • massey driver said thank you

#18 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted September 30, 2010 - 08:12 PM

See I didn't know that at all,learnt something new today.Thanks for the info hydriv. We used a VA case to cut hay,rake hay and pull a hay rack but never saw one like that.I used to live in a orchard area but the tractors that they had were MF 135,s. They were specialy made for orchard use.Had really low profile tires.I thought they looked pretty neat.Larry

#19 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 30, 2010 - 08:28 PM

Super job, that is ONE NICE looking tractor.