15 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 01:08 PM

Been down here in Florida for last few weeks and found a Ford LGT165 on craigslist nearby. Went to look at it yesterday and ended up bringing it home after negotiating away from the owners not-so-realistic price....

Tinwork has some pretty serious rust on it, but the frame and structural stuff looked sound. Engine turns over by hand and has compression (no battery) - but supposedly the tractor has electrical issues. Hydraulics and drive system are "supposed" to be ok. But since I bought it as a non-runner, will see whats what...

Not sure at this point if it will be resurected or become a parts donor. Will start digging into it and see what kind of shape it's in. This one is a later model with the bolt in engine mounts. (my other 165 is the earlier model with the welded in oil pan). It also has part of the 3 point hitch setup on it. Missing the lower and upper arms and tensioners, but the draft links and tie in to the hydraulic cylinder is there. Also has the housing for the rear pto, and the twin pulley on the front pto to drive it.

I also noticed on this one that the diagram and cutout are on the control panel for a second (front) hydraulic spool. It doesn't have the spool or control, but the panel is marked for it - not so on the early weld in model I have... And it has side panels, which my early model does not...

Really hoping it isn't too far gone and I can salvage most of the body. Will start sandblasting/wire brushing and see how bad it is.... In a perfect world, I'll get both of them going and see which one I like better.......

Oh yeah - came with a 50" deck. Pulley cover is pretty well shot, and the deck has a couple rust holes, but looks to be repairable. All the spindles turn free and don't feel bad. That was the only attachment with it. I never seem to be able to find the ones that come with ALL the attachments!

I'll stick the pictures in post #2.....

• Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 01:20 PM

Oh the hunt and the "kill" are great. Congrats. Oh and by the way, "I'll stick the pictures in post #2....." is as BAD as "To Be Continued" at the end of a TV episode or movie. :mad2:  :wallbanging:  :firejumper:  :thumbs: 

We all look forward to your pics.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 01:22 PM

So here's the pictures....

A couple side shots...

IMG00799-20130205-1200.jpg IMG00800-20130205-1201.jpg

Heres the back and the 3 point parts mounted on it

IMG00802-20130205-1201.jpg IMG00794-20130205-1130.jpg

Hood and pan were pretty rusty. Seat pan has rust through, but the hood and sides panels are just rust pocked.

IMG00807-20130205-1202.jpg IMG00811-20130205-1206.jpg

And heres the deck

IMG00796-20130205-1200.jpg IMG00798-20130205-1200.jpg

Here it is pulled onto the carport next to my full time Florida grass cutter (Deere 110 square fender)

IMG00814-20130205-1207.jpg

Finally, here is one of the dogs checking it out after it came off the truck. This would almost be a good one for one of those "caption me" pictures....

IMG00803-20130205-1201.jpg

• jms180, Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#4 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhh......now that's better. She looks rugged (tough) alright. Thanks for the pics.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 01:41 PM

Good Looking Ford, I have a 145 closed side and "KennyP" has a 165 closed hod. Very nice strong GT.

#6 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 01:46 PM

I think you really showed how good that Ford looks when you backed up to the Green thing.lol I have 2 LGT 165'S a closed side and an open side.

Edited by tinbender7, February 05, 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#7 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Looks good. you have good potenial there :thumbs: keep us posted on it

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 05:05 PM

The tin really needs some TLC on that. They are one of the best mid sized GT's out there IMO. Strong drivetrain and chassis. I hope that rust doesn't spread to the "green thing".

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 06:41 PM

That looks about like mine did when I got it. Plus the engine smoked real bad. I did notice the shaft for the 3-point in the rear, wonder where the rest of it went.

#10 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Kenny, I asked the same thing. PO had bought it, and a Deere 318 some time ago at an estate sale. He started working on the Ford, then switched over to the Deere when he ran into the wiring problems. Once the Deere was running, he was happy with that and relogated the Ford to a "future project" where it sat under a tarp for some time... Was finally to the point where "the boss" told him it had to go...

He did have the owners manuals for it, including one for the 3 point, and I got those, but he didn't know where the lift arms ended up.... Guessing wherever they are, the tensioners are attached, and the top link is bundled in as well...... :smilewink:

Looks like the rear pto boss is part of the 3 pt mount - don't see any signs that there ever was a rear pto shaft on it.

Figure if I get it going, getting a top link and fabbing draft arms won't be too big of a deal. But not going to worry about that until it's running and fixed up mechanically.

I looked at the hood today - metal is still thick enough to take a sand blasting, so I can fill and build it back up. Gotta pull the pan and see what that looks like, but the rust throughs are all in one area, so might be able to weld a patch in and fix it instead of going through the hastle of having one freighted in....

Will add some pictures once I start working on her.

#11 brahlf OFFLINE  

brahlf
  • Member No: 9019
  • 11 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:32 PM

Looks like a great find.  I have one just like it.  The rear of mine also has the lift arms, but no PTO shaft.  The arms raise and lower with the hydraulics, I assume to use something like a drag fork or something.   I'm not a farmer so I don't know all the correct terms.

There is a hood and side pieces listed on Ebay for this tractor if your interested.

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 04:44 AM

Skyrydr2 (Keith) can probably fix you up with the rest of the 3-point.

• Tennblue59 said thank you

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 06:56 AM

Looks like a great project there !   I wish tractors would start following me home lol

#14 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:04 AM

The tin really needs some TLC on that. They are one of the best mid sized GT's out there IMO. Strong drivetrain and chassis. I hope that rust doesn't spread to the "green thing".

Brian, are we gonna have to change your handle to FordBrian?!?!?!?!? :poke:  Heresy!!!!

Before I got my other Ford, I had been exclusively John Deere. So was more familiar with them.

The tube frame concept Ford/Jacobson uses is neat - tubes are theoretically stronger than the more conventional c channel frame...

I like the Ford's 2 speed rear end (gotta go to the BIG 400 series Deeres to get it) and especially the way the controls are located for it!

The Deeres tend to supply more than the Ford's 1 hydraulic circuit - will have to add a second circuit if I keep this one...

I like the Deeres front mounting plate for accessories - Think I would make an adapter for the ford since I am already set up for Deere style front attachments...

They both use the same steering setup (at least on the Deere 316onan I have), and there is more room in the Ford's pedistal to adapt power steering if somebody wanted to....

The Ford has a more spacious operator area than the 300 series Deeres I have - point Ford!

And I like the foot controls on the ford vs the dash control of the Deere, BUT wish I had the Deere's split brakes instead of the transaxle brake. Wonder if the Ford 195 brakes/axles could be adapted to the 165?

The Fords tend to go for a lower price (great when buying, not as great if selling) than the Deeres and are more buyer specific.

Harder to find Ford attachments and I wish they had Deeres parts support network.

I lke that the Ford's hood and bodywork are metal as opposed to the fiberglass/plastic that Deere went to.

Size-wise, I think the Ford is bigger than the Deere 300 series, but smaller than the 400s - about optimum....

So I'm not ready to sell off all my Deere stuff, but I do like this Ford! If it were going to be my ONLY tractor (just one, yeah right!!!), I would modify it to have the best features of both!

• KennyP and Rock farmer have said thanks

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 12:02 PM

It's hard to find good solid Ford LGT's or Deere 300 series up here. I would pick up a Ford  if I found one that was in decent shape. I have a couple of JD tractors but realize that all brands have their strengths and weaknesses.