• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick OFFLINE  

Patrick
  • Member No: 9955
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hello -  I need help on how to keep my tractor running.  Tractor will run if choke is pulled out and stays out.  But once it starts and runs for a minute, it will not run once the choke is pushed back in.  I would like to fix this myself because I am just learning to work on my tractor.  Plus I am kind of a DIY person and who doesn't want to load up a heavy lawn tractor and cart it over to pay to have someone fix something that could easily be fixed.  So, with my limited description and limited knowledge, is there anyone who could possibly walk this through with me?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure there are people herre that can help out.  The first step would be to take the fuel line off at the carb and make sure you have good flow frrom the tank or pump. Check for loose carb mounting ect.

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Hi Patrick, welcome to GTtalk.  I see your a GA Boy as well.  From your post I would say your tractor is running lean which could be several things.  The first thing I would check is an air leak between the carburetor and manifold.  How you check that is get a can of carburetor cleaner, start the engine, let it warm up. then spray the carburetor cleaner around where the carburetor and manifold meet.  if the engine sound changes then there is a leak in that area.  If this is the case make sure the carburetor is tight and that there are no other openings in the area.  The other thing that comes to mind is a partially blocked main jet.  Check out the first item and report back on your findings and we can go from there.

It would be good if you included the brand, model tractor you are working on and the engine brand, hp, and model.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 11:08 AM

Welcome to GTT. The choke makes the carb run rich. The tractor dying when the choke is pushed in shows that the engine is not getting enough good gas. First, check that you have plenty of fresh gas in the tank. DO NOT PUT YOUR NOSE TO THE TANK. Open the tank and smell it from atleast a foot away. If the gas smells stale it needs to be drained and flushed. The easiest way is to detach the fuel line at the carb.  To do this, clamp and pinch the fuel line a few inches from the carb(I use an old IV clamp). Place a drain pan under the line or a clean empty coffee can.  Then undo the carb to hose clamp, pull the hose off the carb, put the hose end into the can, release the clamp and let the gas drain into the can or pan. Observe the gas. If there are bubbles at the bottom that is probably water. If the gas is dark colored it is too old. If the gas does not flow out the valve at the bottom of the tank may be closed or the in tank filter plugged.

If you flush out the system, reattach the line to the carb, add new gas and it still doesn't work then you need to work on the carb. Down load the Kohler manual and read that section. Let me know how it goes. 

You should have a Kohler 12 hp. I've never seen the carb come loose on one but, Bill is right check it first.

Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 05, 2013 - 11:11 AM.

• Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 11:17 AM

Welcome to GTTalk!  An engine with a marginal ignition will also exhibit hard starting and want to run better choked. I had this issue on a JD314 with a 14hp kohler. The points were part of the problem. After you are done checking out the fuel supply you should go through the ignition circuit to make sure it's working properly. It's pretty easy to check the points and they will sometimes be pitted or out of adjustment enough to make the engine cranky. The Kohler K series service manual is in the manuals section for download and can also be had on the Kohler site.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 11:28 AM

Welcome to GTtalk, I would look at the Carb., and make sure it doesn't need to be cleaned. You may need to rebuild it. You can also try spraying carb cleaner in the air inlet on the carb while it's running, if it runs better with the choke off while spraying it, it means there is a problem with the carb.

Good Luck!! :thumbs:

• Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#7 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hi Patrick, welcome to GTtalk.  I see your a GA Boy as well.  From your post I would say your tractor is running lean which could be several things.  The first thing I would check is an air leak between the carburetor and manifold.  How you check that is get a can of carburetor cleaner, start the engine, let it warm up. then spray the carburetor cleaner around where the carburetor and manifold meet.  if the engine sound changes then there is a leak in that area.  If this is the case make sure the carburetor is tight and that there are no other openings in the area.  The other thing that comes to mind is a partially blocked main jet.  Check out the first item and report back on your findings and we can go from there.

It would be good if you included the brand, model tractor you are working on and the engine brand, hp, and model.

A propane torch also works good and it's not messy. Turn on the gas little but do not light it. Aim it around the carb/head fitting, if the engine rpm increases you have a vacuum leak. Those of us with classic cars with carburated car engines use this method.There are a lot of places for vacuum leaks and you don't have to spray carb cleaner all over the engine which can ignite from heat or spark.

• olcowhand, broken2, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:59 AM

Good tip!  :thumbs:

#9 Horvik OFFLINE  

Horvik
  • Member No: 11027
  • 16 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hey ;

I had the same snafu and new points fixed it for me. 

Good luck fining any made in the U.S. 

Hope this helps

#10 Old Door OFFLINE  

Old Door
  • Member No: 38567
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hi guys I just saw this post.A little late but,I had same problem with my ford LT100 with K241 Kohler engine.Took carb off and cleaned it, sediment bowl,was full of gunk.Hope this might help somebody.Simple fix!

#11 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yep...Clean the carb, likely has clogged passages