• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:30 AM

Looks like you did have a tough time with the hard soil.  I have 3 things to say....more weights, more weights,, then more weights!   :D

The turf tires like on Mike's Allis do well if you chain them.  You guys also need to put a weight on the rear of the plow itself too.  Really helps getting/keeping the plow in the ground with tough soils.  If trash is a problem, take the coulters off.  Half the time I have to take mine off, or run them as high as possible.  Fill the rear tires, then add as much weight as you can, mostly on the left wheel.  

regardless of the tough plowing conditions, I'm sure you guys had a blast.  Next time you will be better aware of things to do ahead of time.  It does take some time to get things dialed in, so a 2 day event will help with that.

• KennyP said thank you

#47 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:07 AM

This is the first time most of these guys had plowed. I hope to have my CC setup next year and ready to plow. I am planning on taking the ags off the back of my MF10, mounting those on my extra rims. Buying some different Ags for it. (I had planned to buy Deestones all the way around, but somehow ordered Duro for the back.)

I plan to keep the tiller gearbox on the back, so I will have to order the extended Brinly hitch from xtememotorworks, and a different top pin. The top pin on my cub is setup for a tiller, so I will have to either remove it, or make an extension for it. The top pin is stuck and I cant get it out, so I may just make an extension for it.

Edited by Amigatec, February 25, 2013 - 10:08 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#48 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:13 AM

We're learning, Daniel! We just haven't had as much practice as you folks back East. I sent Mike an e-mail to see about doing a 2-day event before too long. The moisture we are getting now may help loosen the ground some more. Lower tire pressure could be a help. Filled tires would definitely help. I'll have to see what I can do for wheel weights. A little weight on the front might help.

Just a lot of things to work on.

• JRJ said thank you

#49 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 12:09 PM

This is the first time most of these guys had plowed. I hope to have my CC setup next year and ready to plow. I am planning on taking the ags off the back of my MF10, mounting those on my extra rims. Buying some different Ags for it. (I had planned to buy Deestones all the way around, but somehow ordered Duro for the back.)

I plan to keep the tiller gearbox on the back, so I will have to order the extended Brinly hitch from xtememotorworks, and a different top pin. The top pin on my cub is setup for a tiller, so I will have to either remove it, or make an extension for it. The top pin is stuck and I cant get it out, so I may just make an extension for it.

The Duros are my tire of choice ! They bit AWSOME !! I love  them and they are WAY less expensive too!!

• KennyP said thank you

#50 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Very Glad you guys had a good time.  Getting plows "Tuned" can be a balancing act and it has  to be done almost every event you go to. 

We go to three plow days each year and they are all WAY different.  Danville is the best of the three for soil conditions, but the other two are different also.

Just takes some getting used to to figure out what's what.

• KennyP said thank you

#51 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:12 PM

That looked like a great plow day.  I really am glad to see that DB working.  Kenny's FF did a great job for those tough conditions.  That looks like a winner Kenny.  A little weight and you will be a plowing machine.  

It didn't look like anyone had chains on.  That would have helped the turf tired tractors I would think.

• KennyP said thank you

#52 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:32 PM

The ruts where I was dissing were deep, I was trying to stay between them. It was bouncing all over the place. The governor was working perfect.

#53 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:55 PM

The ruts where I was dissing were deep, I was trying to stay between them. It was bouncing all over the place. The governor was working perfect.

I forgot to post about that.....looks like you got more of a workout than you wanted!  I'll stick to a seat!  :smilewink:

• KennyP and Amigatec have said thanks

#54 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 02:03 PM

I for got to post about that.....looks like you got more of a workout than you wanted!  I'll stick to a seat!  :smilewink:

Between the ruts and the windrows I was doing good to keep it from turning over. Part of the time I was on one wheel.

#55 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Who brought the Gravely?  Looked like it was running good, but it really needed to be a slower model or else have geared wheels.  It certainly looked good.   You know the sod is tough when a gravely is throwing out sod clods instead of pulverized dirt

• KennyP said thank you

#56 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 03:23 PM

We have a bigtime Gravely collection buyer seller in the area. This one was assembled from pieces. He also bought his sulky with it.
  • JRJ said thank you

#57 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 04:11 PM

We have 3 members over here in N.W. Arkansas that may be able to get together and come as observers only at one of the future events. I will have to throw it up to them and see what they say and then the dates will play a big part of this for us.

Thank for all the pictures and the video.

Dick

• KennyP said thank you

#58 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 04:53 PM

That would be great!!!!

#59 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Enjoyed that video and the pics.  Thanks for sharing.  Looks like 18 tractors is a great turn out for a winter plow day.  I saw a short clip on Facebook that NEOGTA had posted.  Im glad I got to see more here. 

Like Daniel suggested, I would be investing in some weights.  Even if you do the home made route with gym weights, anything will help keep that traction.  I know Miller tire sells the valve you can screw on the valve stem to fill your tires with liquid.  Thats also a big help, and much, much cheaper than weights.

• KennyP said thank you

#60 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Good stuff guys, looked like you had a good day, wish I could of been there with ya.

Thanks for the pictures and the video. :thumbs:

• KennyP said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oklahoma