• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Enginerod ONLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 07:43 PM

JDelfman, my advice to you would be to have a talk with your dad and make it clear how important it would be to have a relationship with him. Losing my Dad almost 15 years ago was the hardest thing I ever went through, we were very close. I to am 45 and miss him as much today as ever, he used to bring me lunch to work every day and he was mad that he wasnt feeling well enough to bring my lunch on the day he passed, it was very sudden even though he was sick for a long time. My Dad like yours was well liked, I was known as Big Bills son, he was over 6'6". Well enough of my rambling, thanks for the thread, it was very well written. Take my advice and talk with your Dad, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, they are gone too soon.

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#17 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Definatly one one the best posts to read in a long time. Not that there is anything wrong with tractor talk, but this was very nice.

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#18 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 11:17 PM

To all of those who have or had close relations with your fathers, you are blessed. It is not something that I have experienced but envied those who did. Thankfully I was able to learn from my experience and it appears that my children for the most part enjoyed their upbringing. The wife and I have good relations with the kids and their families and we feel blessed for this.

To all the good fathers in this world, Thank You! May your example forever lead the youth of the future. 

Thank you Troy for inspiring us. 

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman, Team_Green and 1 other said thanks

#19 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 01:27 AM

To all of those who have or had close relations with your fathers, you are blessed. It is not something that I have experienced but envied those who did. Thankfully I was able to learn from my experience and it appears that my children for the most part enjoyed their upbringing. The wife and I have good relations with the kids and their families and we feel blessed for this.

To all the good fathers in this world, Thank You! May your example forever lead the youth of the future. 

Thank you Troy for inspiring us. 

Not till i was well into my 30's did father and i talk..   I wasn't fond of how he took out his fustrations when he was home from work the odd week out of every few months.   BUT the times i have had with the ole guy since us talking again i wouldn't give up for anything.  

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman and Cvans have said thanks

#20 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 01:47 AM

Not till i was well into my 30's did father and i talk..   I wasn't fond of how he took out his fustrations when he was home from work the odd week out of every few months.   BUT the times i have had with the ole guy since us talking again i wouldn't give up for anything.  

I'm glad you and your father have been able to come together. Unfortunately mine will never allow this to happen. Very sad as he has deprived my Mother of so much. 

• olcowhand and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#21 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 08:05 AM

My dad was a good man and I only came around in my later years to realize that..  I was a screwed up mess for a long time trying to find my way in life..  Now that he's been gone for years I miss him and to this day I think about him a lot..  I wish I had had him in all of my life but did not..  Funny how life does that..  Thanks for the thread Troy..  

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#22 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 08:06 AM

My Dad is why I bought this particular tractor (Snapper/MF).  It has brought back alot of memories of when he had his 1450 and the 1650 he loved.  Lost him to cancer a little over five years ago.  He was my Master Mechanic.  He and grandpa taught me everything I know about them.  My younger brother was never involved in them when he was a kid and I'm not sure why.  I do notice that my brother has an empty space where these memories should be.  I've offered to help him with it but he's not ready yet.  Dad taught me alot of things and those I cherish the most are to be a Godly man in all you do, always work hard, and encourage others any chance you get.  Tears starting to flow right now so I'll end this now.  Thanks Dad for all you gave.  And, thanks for this topic being posted.

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman and Cvans have said thanks

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:38 AM

I'm glad you and your father have been able to come together. Unfortunately mine will never allow this to happen. Very sad as he has deprived my Mother of so much. 

I am so sorry to hear this Chris.  With all that's been going on in my life at the moment, this thread hits home particularly hard  in the heart for me.  Dad has been taking Mom's mental loss pretty hard, and his strain gets passed directly to me as worry over both Mom & him.  Dad & I have worked together nearly every day for my entire life.  The fact that he is 87 & health waning is the heaviest strain I have ever had in my whole life.  Imagining him not being here is torture, so I have to try not to think about it.  But this thread is very important, and Troy, I thank you for posting it.  It may help other's relationships with their Dads.

• KennyP, johndeereelfman, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#24 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:39 AM

I'm sorry to read this.. 

• johndeereelfman, Cvans and twostep have said thanks

#25 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:54 AM

Wow, what an incredible response. I never would have imagined that there were so many of us dealing with memories like we are. I rejoice with those of you who have fond memories of their Dad's, and I sympathize for those of you who either lost their Dad's or didn't have have a close relationship with Dad. I sat and read each of your stories, and wiped tears as I followed along. Each of your stories are special, and the memories will last for a life time.

For those of us going through tough times with our Dad's, I pray that we will all be strong, and that we will have the patience to let God work things out. I know for myself, that my Dad will eventually come around to his sences, and realize that he has a family looking to spend time with him, and who want to show him that he is loved and missed very much. I've tried showing or expressing how I felt to him a couple times, and it seems as though he becomes more and more distant with each effort. So now, I just give him the space that he requires, and hope and pray that someday he will return. The family and I are waiting for that day to come, and when he returns, we have four sets of open arms to receive him, and four years of hugging to catch up on.

For the guys hurting, I'm sorry if I dug up old heartaches that may have been hid behind closed doors. But, I agree with the guys above, now is the time for us to make things right with our Dad's, if we can. Let this post be a time of healing all of those bad memories, and let's start making new memories while we still have the time and chance. Let's be the bigger man, and show him who is dear to us, our Dad.
  • olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#26 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 01:13 PM

For the guys hurting, I'm sorry if I dug up old heartaches that may have been hid behind closed doors.

On my part don't feel bad. Life has to go on and I've seen too many families broken up because of these sort of problems and I refuse to let this happen to mine. These experiences can break you or make you more patient and stronger for having lived through them. I have striven for the second option. I grant you it is not something you can (I cant anyway) put out of your mind. I think about it everyday but I try to do it without negative feelings. I've come to understand that people are who they are and this is something I can't control. Daniel, I'm sorry you have to be going through this. Having to stand by and support both parents at one time would be a real trial. Seems an unfitting end to a wonderful relationship but you have to trust that God will not give you more than you can handle. And I for one believe he has picked the right man. Our prayers are with you.

Edited by Cvans, February 06, 2013 - 01:16 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 06:00 PM

Troy, thank you for starting this thread. It has opened my eyes more as a Father, not only a son. You have a way of doing something at about the right time to help a lot of us along the way. I so glad we have you as a member here. Thank you, my friend!

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#28 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 07:02 PM

I too say thanks for what you shared here.

My boys aren't going to understand the source of hugs this evening.

• johndeereelfman said thank you