27 replies to this topic

#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:38 PM

We all have them. Some are still with us, others are not. Either way, living or not, he is the man who made us, taught us, and helped us to become who we are today. He was there to teach us how to ride our first bike, fix our broken toys, and to pat us on the back when we did something right. He took us for our first hair cut down at the local barber shop, made us a soap box car out of an old milk crate, built us our first hickory bow and arrow, and gave us our first wippin out behind the house.

Sometimes he got made, which caused us to hate him, but when he was proud, it caused us to forgive him. He taught us how to swing a hammer, to throw a fastball, and how to hide the pain when we got knocked down. He told us to be tough and to never cry, even though the pain or punishment hurt. Yet we watched and saw how soft he got whenever Mom walked into the room and gave him a smile. He gave his all for us, and sometimes it felt like days until he returned home from work. Even though he was tired, he always made time for us and Momma.

Dad was a good man, and it seemed like everyone knew of him. "Oh, you're Glenn's boy, he's a good man and I like him a lot", words that made me feel proud of my Dad. I was aways referred to as Glenn's boy, and at times I used to think someday he will be referred to as Troy's Dad. But you know, I want to be considered Glenn's boy for a long, long time. I'm proud of my Dad, and appreciate all of the blood, sweat and tears that he gave, to give me the best. He tried to teach me right from wrong, and he was always there to pick me up if things didn't work out. He was always willing to give me advice, no matter if I needed it or not. His example of being a father has helped me to be the best father I can be with my kids and I try to apply Dad's teaching to them. 

He's a friend, a companion, a buddy, a tractor partner, a provider, a shelter, an investor, a business consultant, a grandfather, and a conselour. But more than any of these things, He's my Dad!

Appreciate the time you have with your Dad if you can, and let him know how much you appreciate all of his efforts throughout the years, in providing you the very best he could. And don't be afraid to tell him you Love him.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, broken2 and 37 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,194 Thanks
  • 29,684 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:45 PM

My Dad has been going through a lot all his life, but the last few weeks have been especially tough for him.  I never remember him saying he loved me until I got divorced 25 years ago and I was a mess.  He didn't have to tell me he loved me though, as he showed me his whole life.

I told Dad just yesterday I loved him, as he needed to hear it especially at that moment, and as much as for him, I needed to tell him....for me.

I can't agree more with what you said in your post.   :thumbs: 

• mjodrey, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,648 Thanks
  • 28,306 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Troy.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for a great write up Troy; I could not help but get choked up when I read it. I too am very proud of my Dad. It also seems to me like everybody knew who he was; the one thing everybody always has to say about him is that even if you did him one favor... he would have to do 100 for you in order to make up for it.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, johndeereelfman and 5 others have said thanks

#5 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,426 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Troy, that is a great piece. My dad is improving day by day.
I am thankful for that fact. Our bond is growing stronger
after his heart attack.
  • johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and tractorgarden'sbabe have said thanks

#6 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Troy......well said. I couldn't agree with you more about the sentiments that you shared in your post. Just today, my dad hurried out of his house, 45 minutes ahead of when he needed to, just to get to my house to meet the seller of my MF-14 and help to unload the tractor since I had to be at work ahead of the seller dropping off the tractor. He didn't complain when I called and told him the seller was in town, he just got ready and headed over to the house. I called him later and asked  how things went and he said all went well. I told him I was worried the tractor wouldn't fit in the garage and all he said was it should be okay. When I got home tonight the tractor was in the garage all tucked away safe and sound.......he knew if would fit when I talked with him this afternoon but he kept it to himself just so I'd be surprised when I got home.

I've thought for many months now about a post that features our dads and Troy you could not have captured what I would have wanted to say any better. I too choked up reading your post. My dad is every bit what you describe your dad being so they must have been cut from the same cloth.

My dad's not a member of the site (yet) but he jumps on from time-to-time to check out my posts and see how my projects are coming along. I love my dad and pray to have many years to come with him. Thanks for posting this Troy.

Edited by Moosetales, February 04, 2013 - 09:34 PM.

• KennyP, johndeereelfman, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#7 larryd OFFLINE  

• Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:32 PM

Troy I can't agree more . My dad and I were close . He worked 2 jobs as I grew up alway through high school . He worked for Caterpillar on 2nd shift as a research machinist and a special deputy for the county (he even arrested the mayor on dui ) which made it hard on me in school years. But I still loved him. We worked together in later years , we hunted and fished and camped together and he was always there for me when I needed him.

He passed in 2002 3 days after his 74th birthday . Heart failure.

He was a great dad.

Edited by larryd, February 04, 2013 - 09:34 PM.

• KennyP, johndeereelfman, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Thanks Troy, I was lucky growing up, Mom and Dad got divorced when I was almost 9 and I thought things were going to be terrible for my Sister, Brother and Myself, but GOD was watching over us and brought a man into out family for my Mom and us. At first, I didn't like him. He was very strict and hard on us. You see we needed guidance for a MAN in our life, nothing against my Mom, it's just different. Anyway My Step-dad became my Best friend along with my Bio-Dad being there when he could. My life has been BLESSED double because I have the fortune to have 2 Dads. i could go into this a lot more, but it's not for here really.

Thanks you Troy for posting this, I am going to copy/paste it in an E-mail to both of them right now, giving you the credit for writing it.

• olcowhand, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 2 others have said thanks

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 10:29 PM

Thanks Troy, that is a good write up. I am not good with words or emotions but you wrote what i feel.

• johndeereelfman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 10:31 PM

My Dad and I were always close, that is until my Mom passed away in 2009. I still see him about once a week, but the bond just isn't the same as it used to be. We never really had a lot in common when I was growing up, even though we used to have fun just kidding around like father and sons do, but he knew I loved him and I knew he loved me. Didn't say it much, but we knew!

When I started collecting tractors and going to shows, it somehow sparked an interest in him to want to join me, so he started collecting too. We finally had something between us that we could work on and enjoy together. But then it started getting to a point, that he started to change at shows. He started making negitive remarks about my tractors, or would make comments about how all of his tractors will run, "not like someone else's I know." Well after a while, it started to hurt, and I got to the point where I didn't want to participate in any more shows, so we started to drift apart a little. When Mom passed, Dad depended on me to help him get things sorted out, and asked me to help in picking out the barrial plot, head stone, and such. We were on our way back to being a father and son again.

Then the day came when he announced that he is getting remarried. It hurt, but I tried to be the supporting son as best I could be. I figured he supported me through times in my life, when I knew it hurt him, so I have to be strong for him, even though it was killing me inside. Little did I know, that after he got remarried, our lives would become so distant from each other, that we hardly have much to talk about anymore. I miss him!

Mom died January 17th, 2009, and since the fourth year anniversary just passed, I've been remembering the times that Dad and I once shared, and I felt I needed to write it all down. Thus the reason for this post. The post was written of memories that Dad and I used to share, and I guess I was wishing for those times to happen again, even though Dad's 68 and I'm 45. You know, it's never too late to have childhood dreams, and I guess that is what I was relaying above. My Dad is still alive, and he lives only twenty minutes away, but yet our relationship feels so distant. I just wanted you all to hold onto those memories that you have, and to live the time we have here with our fathers to the fullest.

I think my Dad misses Mom so much, that he is keeping his distance from me. He never really delt with Mom's passing, or really took the time to let her go. Maybe I'm a reminder of the life he had with her, and being around is just hard. I don't know for sure, but whatever the cause may be, I'll give him the space he needs to get through it all, and I'll be ready with open arms if he ever comes back, because deep down inside, I think he remembers the good times we used to have together, but he just doesn't know how to find them again..

Edited by johndeereelfman, February 05, 2013 - 07:38 PM.

• olcowhand, DougT, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#11 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for the write up.

My dad raised me up to be the best man I could be but I disappointed him a lot through the years. He was always there to take me fishing, hunting, showing me how to handle a gun and slowing down a bit so my short legs could keep up traipsing down beside a fence row looking for that elusive quall. He would always show me how to work on things instead of just doing it for me. All of my mechanical sense comes from him. When I hit my teens we grew apart. Then for several years our attitudes toward each other was one of indiffernce. The night I graduated college I had somewhat of an epiphany... I saw how much mom and him had done for me and how much they had put up with. The memories came flashing back of how much I had hurt them just by being a total sh!t. I told him I love him and he told me... that is the only time I remember the words being spoken... not that it wasn't shown. Since I smartened up and finish college and started a family we've grown much closer.

I'm so thankful that my girls have been able to know him... they love their Pawpaw.

Edited by twostep, February 05, 2013 - 08:27 AM.

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#12 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 12:50 AM

Real men love their Dad!  Thanks Troy.

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,587 Thanks
  • 38,983 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 05:06 AM

I'm a bit envious of you guys as I never had a chance to spend much time with my Dad as an adult. He passed on when I was 22, shortly after I returned from 'Nam. I was too busy 'having fun' to spend time with him then. Wish I could go back and do that part over. He wasn't a 'farmer', but had all the attributes. Did what had to be done so we had a home and food on the table. I miss him dearly now, but I know he is watching over me.

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#14 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,112 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 08:33 AM

I am very proud of my DAD, he was a minister,and pastor,which I learned to love very early in life. He taught me about life in all the importent things. He had a farmers back ground and when I was doing it he let me knoe he was proud he of me. We never said I love you much,but we knew it was true. Dad pasted away in 1970 and I still miss him . Thanks for the post.

Edited by tinbender7, February 05, 2013 - 08:34 AM.

• olcowhand and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#15 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,420 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Spend as much time as you can with them, for soon there will be only memories. I miss my Dad.

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman and twostep have said thanks