#1 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Here is something I have been thinking about today. My goals in this hobby. I'm not looking for an ending to the hobby for me but rather a certain point where I don't sell a set few but keep them to work or show. What is everyone else's goals? Where do you want to be or what are you trying to achieve? I'm a function collector. Everything I have has to get used for something or it gets sold or traded. My goal (not end) is to have 4 tractors to keep and maintain. Everything else is messed with then moved on for the next. My ideal collection consists of JD's. That's what I always seem to go for. I want a tractor for mowing (my '81 212). My next is my tilling tractor ('74 112). My tractor for sleeve hitch implements ('71 140). Finally I want a 110/112 RF for my 3 point implements (build thread coming soon once I locate the right tractor. Also looks cooler than the 140 with a 3 point...Anyone have a no engine donor?). That covers everything I want my collection to do for me. Everything else is a toy to have fun with then move on. Anyone else want to chime in on this? Eric Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
  • mjodrey, New.Canadian.DB.Owner, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2 dcon12 ONLINE  

dcon12
  • Member No: 24440
  • 33 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:02 PM

I bought mine to work. I enjoy my garden and like having the GT to make it easier. I can till my garden in less than an hour when it used to take 6 or 7. I still look for more implements and even more Gt's. I love to play farmer. I tend to forget that in real life, we have over 30 big tractors, loaders and backhoes and even a 220LC excavator. I am a farmer! Don

• JDBrian, dropped82, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:19 PM

I am more of a function guy too.  If I'm storing it, it needs to tackle one or more jobs around the house.  Right now I've got my MF 8 and an MF12 hydro for mowing chores, both mine and my neighbor.  The 12G will probably be used for transport duty with the trailer.  The other 12 Hydro may be used in the garden for plowing and discing chores.  One Gravely is a dedicated tilling machine, the other is a combo plowing, brush cutting unit, and the electric start Gravely will be used at the tree farm for heavy duty brush cutting.

I'd really like to get one of the Case built Masseys, something in the 3xx series, preferably with a three point hitch.  I wouldn't mind having one of the Snapper built units, too.

• dropped82 and larryd have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:19 PM

I bought mine to work. I enjoy my garden and like having the GT to make it easier. I can till my garden in less than an hour when it used to take 6 or 7. I still look for more implements and even more Gt's. I love to play farmer. I tend to forget that in real life, we have over 30 big tractors, loaders and backhoes and even a 220LC excavator. I am a farmer! Don

Don, I have a bigger tractor as well but find the smaller ones are just more fun somehow. I'm picking up GT's and working on them for fun. It may be possible for me to sell the big tractor at some point if I get the right GT's and attachments to do the job. 

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:26 PM

My plan long range is to sell down some of my workers that don't get that much work, then outfit the remaining workers to work even better.  Many of my Bush Hog tractors won't see real use, as they are my real collection just to preserve.

• johndeereelfman, dropped82 and larryd have said thanks

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:42 PM

I'm more of a function guy as well.  I set out to have about three that I could use, maintain and keep.  I now have around 9 (I think, can't remember).  One plows, one moves snow, one mows, one helps me out with everything imaginable and the others sit, look pretty and wait to go on display.  I'm pretty sure I don't have enough.

• HowardsMF155, dropped82 and larryd have said thanks

#7 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I guess my goal is to have as much fun driving, showing, and working on them. I like using them. But some of them are just my show tractors. 

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:59 PM

My goal is to have my collection restored or preserved like Daniel said above. None of my round fenders will ever see work detail again, and the '73 110 will eventually do all of the work. Since I live in town, work around here pretty much consists of removing snow.

As for a goal, I'd like to have the entire collection restored by the time that all three of my kids are out of the house and have families of their own. I dream of having an old fashion John Deere dealership her in town, where I restore customer tractors, and work with Hapco as far as having a showroom wall full of all the parts they carry. The entire round fender collection sitting around the showroom just like they would have been back in the mid 60's.

Just me and my wife running a little mom and pop store, spend time together after retirement.

• dropped82, oldedeeres, Brando and 1 other said thanks

#9 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:03 PM

I want to own more Bush Hogs than Daniel, Titus or Brian. :D  Just kidding!!! I don't think I can keep up with any of them at this point!!

Honestly......they are more of a hobby/stress relief for me. Tinkering is good therapy for me. I like the Bush Hogs and my goal is to collect with in reason all the models that I can find. I would like to be able to display at a tractor show and you would confuse me with a 60's era Bush Hog Garden Tractor dealer. :thumbs:  I hope to be able to restore most of them and have as many Bush Hog implements and brochures that I can. Currently I am trying to learn as much as I can about the history of the manfacturer (Shaw Manufacturing Co) and what they did and why they did it. I have got to do this in the next 4-5 years.

That being said, I like to mow, grade, dig, push and pull with all of them that can! Seat time is just as fun and wrenching time for me. :D

#10 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:14 PM

These are great reads. I appreciate the responses. Everything I read on here gives me more ideas (usually means more tractors lol). Eric Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dropped82, February 04, 2013 - 09:19 PM.

• larryd said thank you

#11 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Guess that makes me the odd duck out.  My goal isn't a tractor, but a place, or more correctly a skill set.  I have tractors to justify the shop I want so I can develop the skills I want.  A 2 or 3 bay job, with all the toys.  Sandbaster, downdraft paint booth, metal fab area, engine rebuild center, rotisserie, hoist. The works.  I'd love to be able to look at a tail light & say "I can fab the rest."

• sacsr, dropped82, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:25 PM

It all started for me because I'm a history nut.  I like everything old and I like machinery, so I went in first because I couldn't buy anything more expensive. 

But I fell for it head over heels when I took my first Farmall tractor to a show and this little man came to look at it.  He was in his late 80's, and he grew up on a similar machine.  His smile was as big as his memories. 

Then I started giving rides to all the kids that came to my house.  Talk about smiles!

Now I do restorations and repairs for folks.  I also rescue anything on wheels and try to find someone to love it as much as I do.  I might make money.  I might lose money.  Sometimes more of the last one.  But the equipment will be there for the next generation, and the history will be there.  

And in between, people will smile as they see what they owned or grew up on. 

That's what makes it fun for me.

Ben Wagner

• olcowhand, HowardsMF155, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#13 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:41 PM

I guess goal is to be able to repair something and be proud of it. I want it to look good , mow my yard , and get me to yhe coffee shop on occassions ( Friday and Saturdays ) .

larryd

• dropped82 said thank you

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:51 PM

I am in it for the use and seat time. I am looking to stay with just one with lots of implements to use. Factory attachments, sleeve hitch, and 

3 point are all in the barn. I find it very relaxing after a stressful day to have an evening of seat time. This time is also shared with my son, teaching him to drive and just bonding in our own back yard. 

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 10:10 PM

Eventually, I want to have a full work shop with anything I could need to fabricate or machine any part or project I want. Now I have a few workers, a few restored, and a few waiting for restoration. Unfortunately, one is sold and is leaving tomorrow (you have to wait to find out which one) and another one is currently on the chopping block.

I obviously favor the orange tractors, and I want to have a large collection of perfectly restored Power Kings from all eras. As well as a few that I will use for work.