Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Power King Paint

tractor paint colors restore

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 javahjoeo OFFLINE  

javahjoeo
  • Member No: 24912
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 11:21 AM

For those with Power King/Econemy Jim Dandy, tractors, the paint question, comes up a lot. Just what was the paint colors they used.  Some use Chevy, Engine Orange, and some Allis Chalmers Orange. The paint choice for some is, J I Case Flambau Red. Why it's called red, I don't know. Those friends that are restoring PK's in my area, use the J I Case color. I'm one that believe  the J I Case paint is the right paint color. There are those out there, who know a lot more about this subject, then I do, and mostly, I'm  telling you what I have learned from others in the know. When using the J I Case paint, next to the original PK paint, It looks the same to me. Maybe G L Grumpy, would like to weigh in on this subject? javahjoeo, MIO, P K Junky, aka  Don

Attached Thumbnails

• Don on one of his tractors.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 11:48 AM

For those with Power King/Econemy Jim Dandy, tractors, the paint question, comes up a lot. Just what was the paint colors they used.  Some use Chevy, Engine Orange, and some Allis Chalmers Orange. The paint choice for some is, J I Case Flambau Red. Why it's called red, I don't know. Those friends that are restoring PK's in my area, use the J I Case color. I'm one that believe  the J I Case paint is the right paint color. There are those out there, who know a lot more about this subject, then I do, and mostly, I'm  telling you what I have learned from others in the know. When using the J I Case paint, next to the original PK paint, It looks the same to me. Maybe G L Grumpy, would like to weigh in on this subject? javahjoeo, MIO, P K Junky, aka  Don

im glad this was posted

i need to paint the bracket i made for my plow    do you think mine was repainted with a pk color or do you think it was just a red color

i thought of repainting everything   international harvester red

Edited by Bob 537, February 04, 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 5,117 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 12:00 PM

I have been using AC orange for my parts, and I really like it! I have not used other colors though.

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 1,554 Thanks
  • 1,051 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 12:39 PM

It is my understanding that the original PK orange paint contained lead and, as a result, cannot be duplicated without that ingredient.  That said. the original paint can still be got but it has to be purchased in large quantities.  I used to know where to get it and what the numbers are but, heck, I've forgotten more than I ever knew.  The Case flambau red is about the closest you can get in my opinion.  I've used that, Allis orange (too light) and Chevy engine orange 1620 (did a whole tractor in this and it wasn't too bad).  I now just use the Case red if I need a touch up.

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 686 Thanks
  • 598 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 03:03 PM

The chief engineer said flambau red was the only color used from 1963-1988 and he also said that there was a large variation of color from lot to lot.

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 5,117 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Now that I think of it, I might have a list of paint codes. I am not sure though; I will take a look.

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

• Member No: 8360
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 2,515 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 03:40 PM

Well Don, I like the Chevy engine paint myself. Easy to spray from rattle cans and dries right now, holds up well.  Otherwise they should be MM Prairie Gold with Red wheels and implements!!! :smilewink: I like using black and whites w/silver on back wheels, which is not stock, but makes it step-out  when in a line of others at a show.  Later Plastic Kings were all black chassis and used white for wheels and in decals. Much more appealing to Me!

#8 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • Member No: 25080
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 11:03 PM

This subject has been kicked around in all the other PK groups and I don't think there is any right answer. To me, as long as it is orange, people will recognise what it is. As for Bob's plow parts that need to be painted, I would look at all of the guys PKs and see which one looks closest to your color and ask what they used. I know mine is way off because I used that Valspar tractor impliment paint they used to carry at tractor supply. I used old kubota orange just cause I like that color orange.

Hey Don!! How are you my friend from about 8 states west of me? LOL!

Steve

#9 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 436 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'm redoing mine with th Allis Chalmers orange. When I pulled off some of the parts the original color was very close. Mine is a 1976. Besides, it's my tractor and I'm the one who has to look at it. Also when it starts to fade over the next 25 yrs of use it will look like it did when I got it.

#10 javahjoeo OFFLINE  

javahjoeo
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 01:50 PM

im glad this was posted

i need to paint the bracket i made for my plow    do you think mine was repainted with a pk color or do you think it was just a red color

i thought of repainting everything   international harvester red

Well............... I wouldn't paint it IH Red, but it's your tractor. Those around here would choke if they heard you say that you painted it, IH Red.  I may tell them you said that and watch what happens. I'm sure it will be funny. javahjoeo, MIO, P K Junky aka  Don

#11 javahjoeo OFFLINE  

javahjoeo
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 01:52 PM

I'm redoing mine with th Allis Chalmers orange. When I pulled off some of the parts the original color was very close. Mine is a 1976. Besides, it's my tractor and I'm the one who has to look at it. Also when it starts to fade over the next 25 yrs of use it will look like it did when I got it.

Go for it! It makes it  personal.  javahjoeo, MIO, P K Junky, aka  Don

#12 javahjoeo OFFLINE  

javahjoeo
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 01:57 PM

This subject has been kicked around in all the other PK groups and I don't think there is any right answer. To me, as long as it is orange, people will recognise what it is. As for Bob's plow parts that need to be painted, I would look at all of the guys PKs and see which one looks closest to your color and ask what they used. I know mine is way off because I used that Valspar tractor impliment paint they used to carry at tractor supply. I used old kubota orange just cause I like that color orange.

Hey Don!! How are you my friend from about 8 states west of me? LOL!

Steve

OH! Steve!  Kubota Orange! Shame on you!  Now don't tell anyone. I have a Kubota B 7100, 4x4 with loader, and tiller. Anyone who has a PK is my friend, no matter where they live. Well.... I'm still working on being G L Grumpy's friend.  javahjoeo, MIO, P K Junky, aka  Don

#13 javahjoeo OFFLINE  

javahjoeo
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 02:03 PM

Well Don, I like the Chevy engine paint myself. Easy to spray from rattle cans and dries right now, holds up well.  Otherwise they should be MM Prairie Gold with Red wheels and implements!!! :smilewink: I like using black and whites w/silver on back wheels, which is not stock, but makes it step-out  when in a line of others at a show.  Later Plastic Kings were all black chassis and used white for wheels and in decals. Much more appealing to Me!

Sorry to wake you!  I know you need your beauty rest. Hee Hee Hee!  I bought some J I Case Flambau, some time back, and did some touch on my PK. Then did some touch up on my Kubota with it and it was very close. javahjoeo, MIO, P K Junky, aka  Don 

#14 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 436 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'm going to paint my Wheel Horse pink for my granddaughter.

#15 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 40 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 07:37 PM

JD two.jpg I think your idea of painting your tractor IH red is great if that is what you would like.  I did mine in JD green and love it that way.  I have had great fun having people look at it trying to figure out what it is.  About 90 percent think it is a John Deere of some kind.  It runs just as good in green as it would have in orange so suits me just fine.  If you do yours in IH follow through with IH decals, you won't regret it.  The suggestion of a Pink Wheel Horse is a  horse of a different color.  I am not so sure I could handle that as I would not want to be out along the road on a pink tractor and have to convince my friends that it was for a granddaughter..

Mike

• Bob 537 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tractor paint colors, restore