• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 01:59 AM

Congrats! That is in excellent shape!

Like Will said above, it has the wrong choke cable on it. When you are putting it in the off (open) position it is actually putting the choke on (closed).So it is working because it stalls the engine when the choke is closed. So that is good,that tells us there are no major air leaks in and around the carb.

Next (also like Will stated) Just get the manual and adjust the carb mixture screws, and adjust the idle

So far from seeing the video I don't think it needs any thing more than a little TLC. Oh the oil dip stick looks like it came off a CC. It prob doesn't fit tight so they wired it.

At most if the low speed mixture screw doesn't help the idle then you may just have to take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning. It may have some dirt or something blocking one of the small idle ports.

Then all the usual maintenance stuff, Oil change, fuel filter, fresh gas, grease anything that has a fitting? And check and or change the Hydro fluid.

Thanks for the videos! and good luck :thumbs:

• Moosetales said thank you

#32 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 04:35 AM

Nice! I agree on the choke lever, it's working just opposite of the dash decal. Looks like a keeper to me!

#33 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 08:35 PM

Okay guys, teach a newbie how the throttle cable (used as a choke cable) makes the choke work opposite of what it's supposed to work. How does that happen? There's no chance that someone installed the choke lever upside down? Geepers this stuff can get confusing.....fast. :(

My wife is a hospice nurse and got called out on call tonight so I'm "fathering" kids tonight. Not much room for GT time in the garage. Tomorrow is a new day.

I was able (as soon as I got home this afternoon) to get set my strobe light atop the cab and get the wires pushed through the pre-drilled hole. One cab light isn't working but I think that has something to do with the fact that the wire to the light has come apart so it's not getting any juice.

#34 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Congrats! That is in excellent shape!

Like Will said above, it has the wrong choke cable on it. When you are putting it in the off (open) position it is actually putting the choke on (closed).So it is working because it stalls the engine when the choke is closed. So that is good,that tells us there are no major air leaks in and around the carb.

Next (also like Will stated) Just get the manual and adjust the carb mixture screws, and adjust the idle

So far from seeing the video I don't think it needs any thing more than a little TLC. Oh the oil dip stick looks like it came off a CC. It prob doesn't fit tight so they wired it.

At most if the low speed mixture screw doesn't help the idle then you may just have to take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning. It may have some dirt or something blocking one of the small idle ports.

Then all the usual maintenance stuff, Oil change, fuel filter, fresh gas, grease anything that has a fitting? And check and or change the Hydro fluid.

Thanks for the videos! and good luck :thumbs:

I read through the manual this evening and found the bits about the mixture screw so I'll give that a whirl as soon as I can don the Carhartts and spend a little time in the garage. Wondering about the dip stick, if it's from a CC, will it read the oil level accurately? Thanks.

#35 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Tractor looks good, runs good too, smooth and steady. If it was me I would turn the Idle screw up a bit, increase Idle speed, then turn the Idle mixture screw a little bit at a time, 1/4 turn one way or the other, wait a few seconds see if it runs better. Highest speed when adjusting the mixture should do it. :thumbs:

#36 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Okay guys, teach a newbie how the throttle cable (used as a choke cable) makes the choke work opposite of what it's supposed to work. How does that happen? There's no chance that someone installed the choke lever upside down? Geepers this stuff can get confusing.....fast. :(

My wife is a hospice nurse and got called out on call tonight so I'm "fathering" kids tonight. Not much room for GT time in the garage. Tomorrow is a new day.

I was able (as soon as I got home this afternoon) to get set my strobe light atop the cab and get the wires pushed through the pre-drilled hole. One cab light isn't working but I think that has something to do with the fact that the wire to the light has come apart so it's not getting any juice.

If you look at the back of the dash where the throttle and choke controls bolt up. The part were the cable is attached on both, should be on the bottom and opposite of each other ( both facing out) If they used a throttle for the choke control then the cable will be on the inside of that one and at the top. As they would have had to turn the control upside down to work the choke.

Here is a picture from my MF12 old dash. it should look the same as yours. 014.jpg

• MH81 and Moosetales have said thanks

#37 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 09:13 PM

I read through the manual this evening and found the bits about the mixture screw so I'll give that a whirl as soon as I can don the Carhartts and spend a little time in the garage. Wondering about the dip stick, if it's from a CC, will it read the oil level accurately? Thanks.

It more than likely will read the same? Best way to tell is do an oil change then check the level. The manual or engine sticker will tell you how much oil it takes.

#38 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:57 PM

Boy, What a great running and looking 14, I wish I could find one like that out here. Just a couple small issues to fix to make it run better, and you could show it the way she sits.

Way to GO!! :thumbs:

#39 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 08:01 AM

Fantastic looking 14. I think you may have the Deal of the Week all wrapped up.

I see Chris mentioned an oil change, bu I might suggest moving it up the list a little...

If the PO has been over choking and repetitive "choking it to death" caused by an inverted choke operation, you may have gotten some gas down the oil.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and Moosetales have said thanks

#40 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Does that have a Walbro carb on it?  I have NO luck getting them adjusted quite right. 

#41 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 04:33 PM

Good advice by MH81. That should be at the top of the list.

SAE #30

#42 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Here's a video of the idle now.......how does it sound?

Thanks.

#43 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Wow! that engine sounds great now! What have you done so far?

#44 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Wow! that engine sounds great now! What have you done so far?

I ripped a page out of the GTTalk experts manual...titled "Check the simple stuff first." I actually did nothing but let her warm up before taking the video. Yup that's right, I took the first video just after she had started up and was cold. See guys, us newbies may not seem like it but we do take notice of your words of wisdom and store it for future use. I may still need to tweek the carb a little or clean her out but for now she is running smoother. Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

#45 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 08:59 PM

In that case you sure did steal that tractor then! Again congrats! So.... what do you think of it so far? Is it your favorite yet? :D