164 replies to this topic

#151 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:16 AM

Upon closer examination I also noticed that lift mechanism (I think that's what it is) that connects to the mower deck (again, I think that's what it is) is not centered in the hole in the frame where it's intended to go (this is on the left side of the tractor when sitting in the seat)

attachicon.gifIMG_0509.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0534.JPG

Notice that this pin (best word I could come up with) is not sitting in the hole as it's suppose to (same side of the tractor just the front "pin).

attachicon.gifIMG_0510.JPG

You might be able to notice in the pictures below how some of the "pins" on the left and right side of the tractor (down where my feet will go) are centered and straight while others are out of their holes and not aligned properly.

attachicon.gifIMG_0548.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0550.JPG

I had an opportunity to spend a little time with the Massey yesterday. Took some tin off, removed the cab, blew out the inerds, and did some repairs. You might recall the issue I discovered with my mower lift shaft....the ends of the shaft do not line up with the holes as expected. Well, come to find out I'm missing a bearing; the parts manual (#19) calls it a Mower Lift Shaft Bearing....to be honest it looks more like a bushing than a bearing.

I took everything apart and now am out to find the bearing. It is light weight (thinking it's aluminum or something along those lines) and has sever funky grooves in it. Any idea where I would find this puppy?

I took the arm assembly left and right off the shaft, cleaned the shaft and lubed. Once the arms were free to slide on the shaft I was able to move them out and snug them up against the frame. This prevented them from banging around as you can see in the video clip.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-03-10 13.47.21.jpg
  • 2013-03-10 13.47.31.jpg
  • 2013-03-10 13.47.57.jpg

Edited by Moosetales, March 11, 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#152 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:53 AM

Well.........I got her started! :D  After a quick charge of the battery and a little prodding she came to life. Here's a sneak peak of the maiden voyage.

I've got a choke and throttle problem so I'll need some help. The tractor is running with the choke on full and the throttle up about 3/4 in this video. I've got a video of the choke/carb that I'll post in a bit.

Thanks to a little digging and a post from Mac in another forum I figured out my choke problem.

http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=192302

I noticed in the pics posted in response to Mac's problem that the lever connected to the shaft that moves the butterfly valve (where the z bend end of the choke cable connects to the carb) was positioned differently than the one on my carb. So, I removed the butterfly valve and the shaft and...........did you know there is a teeny tiny ball bearing at the end of that shaft? I do now.  :thumbs:

After searching for a while for the tiny silver thing that I saw pop out of the carb when I removed that shaft I found it.

2013-03-10 14.51.32.jpg

2013-03-10 14.51.44.jpg

And another for dramatic effect.

2013-03-10 14.52.05.jpg

Once I figured out how to get it back in so I could insert the shaft I was golden. I put everything back together and hooked up the cable as was shown in the pic from Mac's thread and the choke worked as it should.

Choke on.....

2013-03-10 15.03.43.jpg

2013-03-10 15.04.01.jpg

Choke off....

2013-03-10 15.04.10.jpg

2013-03-10 15.04.23.jpg

Living proof......

Thanks to Mac's problem some time ago my problem is now solved.

Edited by Moosetales, March 11, 2013 - 08:40 AM.

• IamSherwood, KennyP and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#153 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Glad you got it figured out. I have a large magnet I use to find those small items that try to go on their own adventures!

• Moosetales said thank you

#154 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:32 AM

Glad you got it figured out. I have a large magnet I use to find those small items that try to go on their own adventures!

Ha! I had a small one......note to self......pull large magnet off old speaker next time I see one at the transfer station.  :D  I did find a lot of filings in the driveway along with the ball bearing.

• KennyP said thank you

#155 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:45 AM

Your choke butterfly isn't fully open in that pic.  It should lay perfectly flat when open.  The way it is will cause a slightly rich mixture still.

There is a thread somewhere asbout lift shaft bushings from another brand fitting the Massey perfectly & still available.  Now to find that thread!

#156 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Found it!  Make sure your shaft measures 3/4" though.  I don't have an MF14 to go by anymore.

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/19516-mf1416-lift-rock-shaft-bushings/#entry257265

• IamSherwood and Moosetales have said thanks

#157 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:50 AM

Your choke butterfly isn't fully open in that pic.  It should lay perfectly flat when open.  The way it is will cause a slightly rich mixture still.

There is a thread somewhere asbout lift shaft bushings from another brand fitting the Massey perfectly & still available.  Now to find that thread!

I'll have to make sure I had the choke in the furthest most OFF position when I took the  pic. If it is, I'll set about making some adjustments. Thanks.

#158 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Found it!  Make sure your shaft measures 3/4" though.  I don't have an MF14 to go by anymore.

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/19516-mf1416-lift-rock-shaft-bushings/#entry257265

Thanks for the lead. I'm going to check around as their price for the part is right but the lowest shipping option is $14.99 UPS. :wallbanging:  :mad2:  :(

#159 kscycler1 OFFLINE  

kscycler1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 13943
  • 17 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Great story so far. Thanks for sharing..

#160 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 239 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 11:10 AM

After rebuilding a MF14 last year, I have wrote down that the NAPA part # for the bushing is 704221. I don't know on cost what they were last fall, but maybe another option for you.

#161 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:09 PM

After rebuilding a MF14 last year, I have wrote down that the NAPA part # for the bushing is 704221. I don't know on cost what they were last fall, but maybe another option for you.

I called my local Napa store and they did not have one but found ONE in a store in the Midwest. I asked if they could have it shipped to them so I could buy it and the guy said that it would cost $89.00 for freight. I asked again and he clarified it would cost $89.00 to have it shipped. I gulped, told him it was a bushing and he offered no other solution. Geepers, can't believe his response. I found a pic of the bushing and it's spot on. Thanks for the lead. I'll keep checking other Napa stores and maybe I can find one that will be willing to work with me.

If I find out what store it's in maybe I can find a GTT member close by that would be willing to snag it for me. Thanks again.

#162 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:20 PM

I called my local Napa store and they did not have one but found ONE in a store in the Midwest. I asked if they could have it shipped to them so I could buy it and the guy said that it would cost $89.00 for freight. I asked again and he clarified it would cost $89.00 to have it shipped. I gulped, told him it was a bushing and he offered no other solution. Geepers, can't believe his response. I found a pic of the bushing and it's spot on. Thanks for the lead. I'll keep checking other Napa stores and maybe I can find one that will be willing to work with me.

If I find out what store it's in maybe I can find a GTT member close by that would be willing to snag it for me. Thanks again.

You told him "one" bushing right? Not 89 bushings! Dang that is crazy!!! But... I can't say I'm surprised.To bad you can't call the Napa in the Midwest, they'd prob drop it in an envelope and ship it for free.

#163 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 06:58 AM

YIKES!!

Can you try ordering online?  an 800 number?

#164 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 03:49 PM

Well, I'm officially no longer in the Massey Club. My Massey sold today and she'll sleep at a new home tonight. It's been great getting to know my way around another tractor type. Maybe some day I'll be able to venture back to the MF world.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#165 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 06:09 AM

You will be missed in the Massey world. :wave:  Hopefully you'll find another one.