Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 07:56 PM

You know, this sounds a lot like vapor lock. Is the fuel line routed close to a heat sourse? Another thought, could the fuel line be collapsing from deteration? Heard alot about issues with old fuel lines.

• MH81 said thank you

#17 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:38 PM

You know, this sounds a lot like vapor lock. Is the fuel line routed close to a heat sourse? Another thought, could the fuel line be collapsing from deteration? Heard alot about issues with old fuel lines.

Well the thing has the new type fuel line (the yellow stuff, forgot what its called) so its no breaking down.  It's routed the same way its always been which is the same as any other Economy I've ever owned.  It does physically lose spark so it has to be in the curcuit somewhere.  I thought when you had vapor lock the tractor wouldn't start again until the cap was opened and that was relieved?  Don't know, never experienced that.

Edited by David Brown, February 06, 2013 - 07:21 PM.

• larrybl said thank you

#18 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 07:21 PM

OK, I believe my problem may be fixed.  A guy who works on engines for a living said that the problem was in my fuel line.  Huh?  I had that new tyvek fuel line on the tractor because I was told that it wont break down with the ethanol like to old rubber line.  Well, turns out, it does.  It gets brittle and cracks or breaks.  I guess any of you that mentioned vapor lock to which I promptly poo pooed the idea, my apologies.  Long story short, if you have this fuel line on your tractor, you may want to reconsider it.  Seems to be bad news.  I put some new rubber fuel line on, cleaned and adjusted the points and went to town doing some clean up from the snow I plowed with the FEL the other night.  About 15 or 20 minutes and it never missed a beat.  Good to have her back to 100%.

• olcowhand, larrybl and MH81 have said thanks

#19 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 07:27 PM

OK, I believe my problem may be fixed.  A guy who works on engines for a living said that the problem was in my fuel line.  Huh?  I had that new tyvek fuel line on the tractor because I was told that it wont break down with the ethanol like to old rubber line.  Well, turns out, it does.  It gets brittle and cracks or breaks.  I guess any of you that mentioned vapor lock to which I promptly poo pooed the idea, my apologies.  Long story short, if you have this fuel line on your tractor, you may want to reconsider it.  Seems to be bad news.  I put some new rubber fuel line on, cleaned and adjusted the points and went to town doing some clean up from the snow I plowed with the FEL the other night.  About 15 or 20 minutes and it never missed a beat.  Good to have her back to 100%.

I have been replaceing my fuel lines every three years now. usually around the winter down time.

• David Brown said thank you

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Nice to hear you got the PK back up to 100%. Nice to work on them... Even better when you don't have to.

#21 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 05:41 AM

Nice to hear you got the PK back up to 100%. Nice to work on them... Even better when you don't have to.

Yep, and I discovered something else.  Crow tastes a lot like chicken!

• MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 06:34 AM

I'm going to be looking a little closer at my fuel lines from now on , never really had too many issues but will be more aware of the new gas effecting them , thanks

#23 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 06:50 AM

I think Larrybl has the right idea.  Just replace them every couple years.  The stuff is cheap enough (under a buck a foot at NAPA) so you could do a whole fleet of GTs for next to nothing.  I just bought 5 feet of it and that should take care of this PK, my Speedex B and the 73 Economy I'm working on.  Heck I may go back and get another 10 feet just to have on hand.

• Alc said thank you

#24 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 07:02 AM

I think Larrybl has the right idea.  Just replace them every couple years.  The stuff is cheap enough (under a buck a foot at NAPA) so you could do a whole fleet of GTs for next to nothing.  I just bought 5 feet of it and that should take care of this PK, my Speedex B and the 73 Economy I'm working on.  Heck I may go back and get another 10 feet just to have on hand.

Just use it soon. If you put it up and don't see it for a couple years, it won't be easy to bend. I try to keep some short pieces around, but I go get new for the longer ones. The tractors with the fuel tank under the seat need a long piece for them, 4'-5' depending on tractor.

#25 tex tractor jack OFFLINE  

tex tractor jack

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1854
  • 41 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 02:27 PM

It is remotely possible that it is a broken wire somewhere, Once you have it started us a jumper with alligator clips on it and make the connection from the positive side of the battery to the hot post on the coil. This will eliminate the switch, amp gauge, and wiring.