2 replies to this topic

#1 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,405 Thanks
  • 1,324 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 09:30 AM

I found this on Facebook and thought I'd share. John Deere (February 7, 1804 – May 17, 1886) was an American blacksmith and manufacturer who founded Deere & Company, one of the largest and leading agricultural and construction equipment manufacturers in the world. Born in Rutland, Vermont, Deere moved to Illinois and invented the first commercially successful steel plow in 1837.  
Later in life Deere focused most of his attention on civil and political affairs. He served as President of the National Bank of Moline, a director of the Moline Free Public Library, and was a trustee of the First Congregational Church. Deere also served as Moline's mayor for two years but due to chest pains and dysentery Deere refused to run for a second term. He died at home (known as Red Cliff)

• ducky, jms180, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 10:16 AM

Thanks Geno, He was quite the civic leader for his community, there is a big Ag museum out it K.C. if I remember right that has a big display of his achievements along with the JD. product.history, very interesting read. Thanks for sharing!! :thumbs:

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Thanks Geno. Last year, Deere & Co., and they are the largest company, celebrated their 175th anniversary. Sadly we had no special events in germany. 2006, when Deere & Co. stayed 50 years in europe, and espacially in Mannhein, Germany, we had a nice meeting. And I wasn't there :ah_shoot:

Edited by jd.rasentrac, February 03, 2013 - 11:49 AM.