Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Four Wheel Trailer

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 96 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 02:55 PM

I too have seen them, and would love to have a 4-wheel WH wagon.

FYI: 2 wheel=trailer, 4 wheel=wagon...if front axle is a steering axle.

I always thought 2-wheel = semi-trailer

4-wheel = full trailer

Pulled many a semi around when I was a teamster. Loved Mac's 300+ Maxidyne 5-speeds! :thumbs:

#17 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 2,186 Thanks
  • 2,455 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 06:09 PM

I always thought 2-wheel = semi-trailer

4-wheel = full trailer

Pulled many a semi around when I was a teamster. Loved Mac's 300+ Maxidyne 5-speeds! :thumbs:

OK, here is what I was trying to say:

With the lawn and garden season rapidly getting underway, many people will be looking for a lawn trailer or wagon to pull behind of their lawn tractor.

Most folks do not understand the differences between a wagon and a trailer and use these terms to describe the same piece of equipment even though they are very different.

Both items, a lawn wagon and a lawn trailer and used for the same purpose, hauling material around behind of your lawn tractor. But what makes these units different and which is best for your jobs is really a matter of personal taste.

A lawn trailer has a fixed position tongue which attaches to the back of your garden tractor. These units many have one or two axles depending on the size of the load you have purchased it for. With the fixed tongue, this makes backing the trailer up very easy, but the downside to this type of unit for the home gardener is the tongue has to be left hitched to your tractor or propped up with something if you wish to leave a load in the trailer.

A lawn wagon has a steerable front end, which allows the wagon to track directly behind of your lawn tractor. The wheels on a lawn wagon are normally spaced at the front and the rear of the unit, where a lawn trailer, if it is a tandem axle unit will have the wheels narrowly spaced in the middle or towards the back of the trailer. The wide spacing of the wheels on a lawn wagon allows the home gardener to unhitch the wagon from the tractor and use the wagon as a platform for potting plants and other tasks. T

he major downside to the lawn wagon is the steerable front end makes the wagon very difficult to back up.

Which is best? It depends on what you intend to use the unit for. If you will be having to back into an area several times, I would suggest that the lawn trailer would be your best bet. If you like the idea of being able to use the unit as a mobile work platform and backing up is not an issue, then the lawn wagon would suit your needs the best.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2189177

• caseguy, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks

#18 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 11,400 Thanks
  • 24,809 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 06:20 PM

That is a good explanation of the terms as they pertain to us!

#19 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 96 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 07:23 AM

Great explanation! The single axle trailer is much easier to back up.

I view the 2-axle wagon as a larger trailer for moving something like lengthy logs. A trailer

that would sit outside as seen at a lot of farms.

Either trailer or wagon is better than nothing if you have a use for it.

#20 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 1,527 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 07:31 AM

Remember seeing my Dad's mouth water over these at the Wheel Horse dealer back in the day.

#21 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

• Member No: 8360
  • 1,820 Thanks
  • 2,333 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 04:40 PM

I have a manual for one of those. Assembly and parts. Looks pretty simple. Now days any wagon with the Brand name on them is way too expensive for what you get. Many are rusted out from setting outside with a pool of water in them for years, till the metal makes a hole in itself with rust damage. New ones are cheap, but buy the best one, they are all Chinese and don't really haul the rated weight the packaging says. OR, just make one, then you'll know it is well built and will hold up. Probly cost more to make one than to buy one, but should be better.