7 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:19 PM

In the continuing battle to revive my Allis HB112, I've recently had a couple of parts that were beyond my skill level:  the pintle leak on pump housing from the T66X, and the double ended ball joint.  At long last they are back from the machine shop.  If only it would warm up enough to get them back onto the tractor...

Without the Service Bulletin, the machinist felt it would be better to build and hardened new pintles.  The housing was bored out to remove the wear marks (18 mm on one side, 18.5 mm on the other). The new pintles are over-sized and custom-sized within the housing area. He added a second o-ring within the pump housing and moved the outer o-ring a smidgen closer to the housing so it would act as a dust seal.  All in, it cost just over $230.  I'm sure there are cheaper solutions, but I buy local when I can. 

DSCN2732.JPG

I purchased two new 5/16" ball joints from a not-so-local repair shop.  He keeps them in stock because they are steering ball joints.  The machinist cut them to length and welded them back together.  He even saved the rubber boots.  All in, it cost just over of $50, but there isn't much choice when items are NLA.

DSCN2733.JPG DSCN2734.JPG

Funniest part?  The machinist who did the work lives just down the road from me.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:26 PM

That is some great work there, how did he keep the boots from melting. Did he TIG weld a little at a time and chill them in water in between?

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:29 PM

That is some great work there, how did he keep the boots from melting. Did he TIG weld a little at a time and chill them in water in between?

No idea.  All he would say was "trade secret".  Maybe this summer over a couple of beers....

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Sounds like that machinist is a person you should get to know, even buy him some drinks if he does drink, with him living that close. maybe even a BBQ ribs when the weather gets nice..  The work he did look real nice.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, February 02, 2013 - 01:10 PM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 02:06 PM

Sounds like that machinist is a person you should get to know, even buy him some drinks if he does drink, with him living that close. maybe even a BBQ ribs when the weather gets nice..  The work he did look real nice.

Dick

:iagree:

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 02:15 PM

That pintle looks like a nice piece of work. Machine shop work sure is $$ these days. I have something in the shop right now and the quote was double what I thought it would be. I'm trying a local small shop for the work. We'll see how it goes. 

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 04:27 PM

I have a son in school headed taht way as we speak and I cant wait for him to get thru his schooling, I have already provided him with more than a few "gov't jobs"  to do at his job 

I miss teh days having a buddy that worked in the tool room at the former American lock factory  he was always doing these sorts of things for himself and for his buddies, between calls for broken machines within the plant

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 04:54 PM

All of that stuff came out very nice!

Brian, I am not an expert on TIG welding (or any welding) and have never even done it. But I think that a large torch cup and a high flow of argon might have helped keep the metal cool.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hb112, allis, simplicity, t66x