• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 11:45 PM

Gentelman, I have just built a small tank for my son's school science project, is'nt it strange how much we learn when our kids have projects, anyways back on subject, from the pics posted here the members got great results, mine were somewhat lacking, and the washing soda would seperate and go to the bottom after 5-6 hours, its cold up here in canada but the water did not freeze. would the cold effect the results and should this be do in the warmer months, i am intending on building a 200gal tank but am having second thoughts as per the first results. thanks all

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 11:47 PM

I can't help you, but want to know the answer. I and getting ready to fill my 275Ga. tank and crank it up.

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:29 AM

Gentelman, I have just built a small tank for my son's school science project, is'nt it strange how much we learn when our kids have projects, anyways back on subject, from the pics posted here the members got great results, mine were somewhat lacking, and the washing soda would seperate and go to the bottom after 5-6 hours, its cold up here in canada but the water did not freeze. would the cold effect the results and should this be do in the warmer months, i am intending on building a 200gal tank but am having second thoughts as per the first results. thanks all

i have a 100+ Gallon tank and i used a box of regular baking soda with Great results ... how ever i found you need to mix the heck out of it .... i filled my tank in the summer and ran it all summer on the same soda and water i just had to top it up once and a while i did find that the water must be warmer or else the soda wont mix in so try warmer water

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 06:39 AM

Yes, warmer water will hold more of the soda in solution. There are two things that affect how well something dissolves and stays dissolved.: water temperature and agitation (stirring). If you mix the solution thoroughly and then start the current flowing, the water should heat up from the process and keep the soda in solution better.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 07:29 AM

I haven't used mine in really cold conditions, but can tell you that it works when it's cool.  Last fall I used it up until the first of November and the water temp must have been between 5 and 10c. It did seem to slow down a bit but continued to work. My tank is a plastic 45gallon drum. I usually add the soda when filling the tank and the resulting turbulence mixes it pretty well. 

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 07:45 AM

From my experience, cold temperatures do slow down the process.... Someone I am sure will come a long and explain why. I was going to try to do some today, but at higher amps since it will warm up the water in the process. But with the higher amps comes my concern of the danger of being severely shocked if I or someone else touches something as it is working. therefore I am extremely careful when using high amps and do not leave the area when it is on.

Edited by sacsr, February 02, 2013 - 08:54 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill, Cat385B and 2 others have said thanks

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 10:32 AM

I had a similar problem with the first small tank I built. Took for ever & the water turned clear.  Turned out my battery charger puts out current & not voltage.  With the low current flow, it figured the "battery" was charged & shut itself off.  I had to put a dead battery on the charger and run cables from the battery to the tank.  Solved the problem for me.  Individual results may vary. 

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 11:00 AM

I had a similar problem with the first small tank I built. Took for ever & the water turned clear.  Turned out my battery charger puts out current & not voltage.  With the low current flow, it figured the "battery" was charged & shut itself off.  I had to put a dead battery on the charger and run cables from the battery to the tank.  Solved the problem for me.  Individual results may vary. 

Same thing with my charger. I always hook a battery inline so it will do it's thing.

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#9 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 01:17 PM

I have a quick question about this whole process. Is 'washing soda' just regular laundry soap?

#10 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 02:22 PM

Washing soda

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 02:27 PM

The washing soda has the benefit of producing a "doing the laundry" smell that I find pleasant. I've used baking soda as well but like the washing soda better.  I didn't notice a huge difference in the current level when it was cold. If the baking soda is not going into solution when cold then the concentration may not be high enough to support a large current. It could be that the washing soda with it's extra ingredients is better at going into solution when cold. 

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 02:30 PM

I am going to use baking soda, that is what I should be using?

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 03:05 PM

I am going to use baking soda, that is what I should be using?

Baking soda is safer to handle. Either in powder, or mixed with water. Baking has a ph level of 8.1 vs washing soda at 11. So washing soda is more caustic, therefore more of an irritant.

On the other hand, being higher on the alkaline scale gives it a higher ability to conduct a current. So it should cause the tank to work faster. One interesting note was a test done where the baking soda anodes ended up covered in finer particles than the anodes used when washing soda was used. It was much easier to remove the rust off the scrap metal anodes in the washing soda solution. The cathodes (items being cleaned) looked about the same:

Baking soda top row, item being cleaned on left. Notice how much finer the rust on the anode is on the top. (square chunk of metal)

BSWSResult.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 03:08 PM

I use feed grade sodium bicarbonate with great results.  I don't remember the cost, but somewhere around $12 or so for a 50lb bag.   You can get it at any cattle feed store.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 05:32 PM

I use feed grade sodium bicarbonate with great results.  I don't remember the cost, but somewhere around $12 or so for a 50lb bag.   You can get it at any cattle feed store.

Went to several feed stores here. Can't find it out here Daniel, :( That's why I bought the 4lb boxes at Wally-World. $2.08 a box here.  About twice as expensive as your bulk bag. :wallbanging:

• boyscout862 said thank you