Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1855/1655 Dozer Blade Installation Questions.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 09:37 PM

I think I have gathered all the parts and scrap I need to make a dozer blade for my 1855. I cant find the installation manual that would show me where everything is supposed to hook up to. I did find a few pics of the factory blades but I cant see how and where it fits up with the tractor. Anybody got pics?

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 11:28 PM

Not sure here, but on other massey's the blade reaches back to the hitch hole on back panel. Is a 4" or so channel all the way to the front. In front is only a couple of metal guides that mount to front and hold the channel from moving sideways. Don't think there is any more connection except for the lift linkages on each side  near where your rockshaft would be. Should be some blade manuals on this site I think, do a search. Mine was for a 1650, a little smaller, but think yours should be about same.

• coldone said thank you

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 04:56 AM

The rear of the assembly attaches to the trailer hitch hole at the back of the tractor.It also hooks up to the mower deck lift arms.

• coldone said thank you

#4 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 08:46 AM

My home made blade and snowblower could be  mounted to my 1655 in a matter of minutes.No bolts were required,just put in 4 pins.I made some brackets that were bolted to the tractors frame just in front of the mower decks front mount brackets,that dropped down a bit ,not to far so that they didn't interfere with the mower deck.My blade and snowblower frame had a step down in them to clear the front axle when it would pivot etc:The lift was connected to the mower lift arms under the tractor.Here's pics of how things were done on mine,hopefully it'll give you some ideasThe frame thats shown was the one for the snowblower.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• Digital camera pictures 237 (Small).jpg
  • Digital camera pictures 211 (Small).jpg
  • Digital camera pictures 210 (Small).jpg
  • Digital camera pictures 208 (Small).jpg
  • MF 1655 & Blade (Small).jpg
  • Digital camera pictures 216 (Small).jpg

• coldone, sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 VICHARRIS OFFLINE  

VICHARRIS

• Member No: 1381
  • 50 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 06:12 PM

Just an idea. Have you given thought of attaching it to the 3 pt. hitch assembly? Push or pull. Maybe not as veristile. But it works okay, for me.

#6 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 05:17 AM

Just an idea. Have you given thought of attaching it to the 3 pt. hitch assembly? Push or pull. Maybe not as veristile. But it works okay, for me.

A valid method. This series of tractor is large, heavy, and powerful, when properly set up, and breaking the axle lugs is easily within their capabilities when impacting an imovable object with a push blade so anchored. Much better to use the axle trumpet at the same location as the pivot, than the lugs.

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 07:00 AM

A valid method. This series of tractor is large, heavy, and powerful, when properly set up, and breaking the axle lugs is easily within their capabilities when impacting an imovable object with a push blade so anchored. Much better to use the axle trumpet at the same location as the pivot, than the lugs.

Good point, TUDOR. The blade on my FF goes to those lugs on the rear axle. A neat looking way of doing it, but I can see the possibility of them getting broken that way. I am going to look into a different option on it. Plus, I may be able to get more lift that way.

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Just a small update.

I have learned a few things so far

1: 6 feet worth of 3 inch channel is not long enough, you need 7 at least

2: "If at first you dont suceed, then try, try again" is more of a mantra than a saying

3: 3 inch channel is not enough to raise the front of the tractor off the ground without severly bowing

I started off with the idea of making something looking like the factory one. I scround up 6 ft worth of 3 inch channel, I soon found out I needed 7. So I welded on some square tubing I had to give me the length I needed. I tried a attachment configuration with the mid lift. It had angle iron and uprights to attach to the mid lift, forgot about the lift arms traveling in an arch. It bound up. So I cut that off and tried flipping it with the angle iron cross piece at the top attached to the lift arms and a single piece of 2X 3/8 hanging down and being able to swivel. That worked good except the angle iron at the top now bumps into the drive shaft, it made sparks!!!

So I still managed to get it hooked up and gave it a test run. I placed a small 6X6 piece of lumber under the front part of the channel where the blade will attach.   I pushed the hyd. lever forward and she barely got the wait off the front tires. I looked at it from the side and saw that the channel was bowed about 2-3 inches. I decided to call it a day.

I will probably reinforce the channel where its bowing at to see if I can stiffen it up. My goal is to be able to lift the front end an inch or 2 off the ground so that I can get some real bite with the blade.