• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 01:46 AM

You seeder units are the same as what Db, Bolens and several other tractors used during the 50's. Did you get any of the seed disc with them?

#17 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 08:12 AM

Unfortunately no.  The units do not have lids for the seed boxes either.  There is still hope.  My friend still needs to go through the basement of the house where the dealer lived.  He said it is full of small stuff.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#18 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 08:13 AM

That "cone" mower would be interesting to see in action.

#19 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 01:26 PM

I need to get the drive sprocket as it is different than the one for my 25" reel mower.  Then I would take a video cutting alfalfa hay in my brother's garden.

#20 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 01:31 PM

Unfortunately no.  The units do not have lids for the seed boxes either.  There is still hope.  My friend still needs to go through the basement of the house where the dealer lived.  He said it is full of small stuff.

Yes the lids would be good to have, as there is a seeding chart on the bootom side of them. Have your freind look close for the disc as they came packaged in nothing more than a brown folded cardboard sleeve, easy to think its just a piece of trash. There were also small brushes that fit down in side the hoppers for use with small seeds. I see you got the row markers which are also hard to find. I'd like to see it mounted on a tractor some time and setup to work. Be intersting to see any books on the attachment to see if they offered the fert parts also.

#21 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 07:13 AM

I am trying to figure out how the makers get mounted.  

#22 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 01:22 PM

There are several ways that happened on them. Some markers mounted on the angle part above the wheel, and would pivit left on right. Since you have a dual unit it looks like your might go into the tube parts with the thumb screws near the front and the rod would be fixed in one place. You would then just slide the marker arm down the rod to the correct spacing and tighten up a set collar. This set collar would also have a stop on it that held the arm in place when you raise the handles up for turning at the ends. This will make the whole width of the planter pretty massive and i would think hard to move around in a small area. you would have both markers on the ground at all times and they should be set so the center line of the tractor would follow the marked out line. pretty intersting to see that the same basiic parts are used for so many diffenrt companys machines. This dual row unit will be a pretty unqice item to display at a show, as only the biggest models of tractors used multirow seeders. Other that come to mind here would be the Sears Handiman, and the Standard twins. Both of those tractor used mostly a models of Planet jr seed drills. Your units are made to place seeds in a spacing, unlike the drill seeders that just pour out a row.

• drbish said thank you

#23 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Lauber1,

I think I got the row markers figured out.  I am missing the lock collar.  Did that collar also have a stop so that when you lifted up on the tiller the makers came off the ground like the planters?

IMG_5027 (Medium).JPG

#24 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 10:36 PM

yes its just a plain collar with a longer than normal set screw sticking out. You just have to put it in the right place so the screw in on the bottom side.

• earthgrinder said thank you

#25 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 12:00 AM

Now I can get 2 collars and it will be complete.  I am getting 2 lids made at a sheet metal shop.  Maybe I can find someone with a lid and get a copy of the seed chart.

Edited by earthgrinder, February 10, 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#26 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 12:54 AM

well someone like me would already have a copy of the chart. I did have some printed out that were the correct size, but not sure if i have any left, other wise i'lllook for the masterone i have filed any here and send you one.

The lid is tricky to make, do you have a good picture of one or an orginal to copy?

#27 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 02:16 PM

I have an original from a fellow collector, but it does not have the chart.  I told the fellow at the sheet metal shop that I am not concerned that it is an exact copy, just something to cover the hopper and fits snug. I told him I am not worried about winning any contests on all original equipment.

Do you happen to know where I could find a manual for the planter?

Edited by earthgrinder, February 10, 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#28 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 02:52 PM

the hardest part of making one is the one side of the rectrangle is sq cut and the other side is rounded so it fits over the corner of the hopper. There is also that raised area on the lid. I beleive the orginal ones were stamped out in a die.

Here is a copy of the seeding chart that tell you what sprocket to set the chains on for the correct spacings. I used to have them printed out 3 to the sheet in the correct size, but couldnt find anyt of them. If this dont work or you cant copy it from here send me your email and i'll send you over the file that you can shrink down to fit the lids.

scan0006.jpg

#29 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 02:55 PM

oh i missed the manual parts , yes i have the manual in a Sears from only, and i think i only have the one for the 3pt seeders, but other than attaching them to the machine the basic unit is the same per all.

I'll see what i can do for a manual.

#30 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 03:32 PM

here is probally the best manual for the seeders, coving both the tractor mounted and wlak-behind models and there attaching parts.

http://amigatec.net/...nts/597.300.pdf