daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 02:47 PM

George, the reason that I didn't endorse the run off is there aren't that many members that vote.   A few hundred if we are lucky.  (Correct me if I am wrong)  Those of us that do may take all month to decide sometimes.  A run off might miss some regular voter/members with a limited time frame.  I don't know what the lead time is for the magazine either?  Can they wait for a run off?  

• NUTNDUN, caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#17 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 02:50 PM

They should Roshambo.

It'd be worth it.

Well, I guess option #1 is more humane.

• caseguy said thank you

#18 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 02:51 PM

George, the reason that I didn't endorse the run off is there aren't that many members that vote.   A few hundred if we are lucky.  (Correct me if I am wrong)  Those of us that do may take all month to decide sometimes.  A run off might miss some regular voter/members with a limited time frame.  I don't know what the lead time is for the magazine either?  Can they wait for a run off?  

I agree, for some reason only about a 100 or so members vote each month. We can start the nominations thread for the new month in the meantime and if we were to do a runoff I think a two day / 48 hours would be good. We are definitely going with your suggestion for future tie breakers. Both winners will be featured on the site for this one but the run off or earlier nomination is to decide which one will be featured in the magazine.

• caseguy said thank you

#19 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 02:57 PM

I can see a run off as one way, order of entry., not so much as voting starts for all at once.(IMO) However is vintage at all a factor as to definition of 'original/ survivor'.?

#20 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 03:09 PM

I was going to suggest, determining the winner by the most rarer of the two, but I don't think that will work in this case, as each of them are pretty rare, and not seen very often.

My vote would be the run as well I guess, since that seems to be the only fare option at this point. Good luck to both registrants, and no matter what, you are both winners in my book!

• caseguy and HDWildBill have said thanks

#21 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 03:13 PM

I think it should be a run off. Like said, most times a lot of votes come in at the last minute; although, I see that as the fairest way to go about it. The idea of who ever entered first wins was good, but I think that in the future it might cause some members to rush and write their nomination up as fast as possible. If that is the case, what is actually a great story might miss lots of details or not make sense; that would cause them to do worse in the running then it would if they had time to do a good thought out write up. I know, all of the month themes are listed in the rules, and members could write their nomination a year ahead if they wanted, but we all know that probably 99% of us members procrastinate. Just my two cents.

#22 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 03:15 PM

flip a coin

• caseguy said thank you

#23 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 03:30 PM

I think it should be a run off. Like said, most times a lot of votes come in at the last minute; although, I see that as the fairest way to go about it. The idea of who ever entered first wins was good, but I think that in the future it might cause some members to rush and write their nomination up as fast as possible. If that is the case, what is actually a great story might miss lots of details or not make sense; that would cause them to do worse in the running then it would if they had time to do a good thought out write up. I know, all of the month themes are listed in the rules, and members could write their nomination a year ahead if they wanted, but we all know that probably 99% of us members procrastinate. Just my two cents.

I agree.  The idea has merrits to get folks to enter quicker but, as Ryan stated, maybe too quick.  Also, If I don't get mine entered, for example, until number 5 or 6, I already see a possible disadvantage and I may not enter at all.

• caseguy said thank you

#24 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9210
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:26 PM

I darn sure wouldn't want to win this on the basis of "I entered first".  I'd like to hear from the other guy.  And I will let it be known publicly that I will not be angry or depressed if I was to lose the tiebreaker under any circumstances.  It's fun to have stuff get magazine ink/publicity but it doesn't mean that much to me in the grand scheme of things.  Probably won't make the highlight reel when my life flashes before my eyes at the end.  Then again, it might, as I haven't really done much with my life...

I challenge thee, to a duel!  :cowboy_shooter:  Take ten steps and draw!  (The only gun I own is an old russian junker rifle so the odds are in your favor.)

• caseguy, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#25 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,313 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:40 PM

If it's a tie-  Give it to both say I..

#26 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:45 PM

They are both going to be featured on the site. However with the magazine they can only publish one so that is what the tie breaker is for.

#27 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:46 PM

Have a run-off tie breaker.

• caseguy said thank you

#28 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 09:02 PM

I won't mine being second , it was nice just to have tied  , it is a shame that for as many members on the site ( over 11k ) that only around 100 voted . I nominated my tractor so people could get a little glimpse of a unusual tractor and am proud to have kept it in the family for over 50 years , Al

#29 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 09:42 PM

I forgot to vote.....

Why was the voting not run into over time till the first one to get a vote wins.... Ya never know 3rd place could of won if it went into over time....

#30 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9210
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 09:43 PM

I am fine with a run-off.  Actually I am fine with anything.  Flip a coin, Throw darts at pictures of them, pin the tail on the winner, whatever.  But a run off would ensure that the will of the people is met, no one goes away feeling cheated and the voters all get to feel that their vote mattered.  If one of us just stepped down or if a winner was chosen at random, it would sort of negate the whole voting process and may discourage future contests.  I told the mods this morning via pm that I would step down and was informed that it was not an option, presumably for that reason.  

BUT what if we tie a second time?