#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted September 16, 2010 - 02:14 PM

Four yrs ago my Dad sold his place and moved into a assisted living home.The last two he's been in a locked down facility[Alziemers really bad] Approx 2000 klms from me Anyway he wanted me to have his weedeater.So my brother kept it stored at his place untill a couple weeks ago when I picked it up and brougth it home.I remeber my Dad saying that he wasn't able to get it running he had bougth it at a Auction Sale. Yesterday I had a bit of extra time to take a look at it.I took the spark plug out and then,I pulled it over and sure enough no spark.All the wires were pretty brittle and the one to the shut off switch was broken off the switch.I took the recoil off and then took the flywheel off as well to check the points.Everything was oily etc:After washing everything off filing and gaping the points to .016. changing the wires etc: I then put the flywheel back on.I noticed that the coil was rubbing just slightly on the flywheel so I adjusted that gap to about .006.I then gave it a flip with the flywheel to see if it had spark.Sure enough it had good spark so it will run.Put the recoil back on gave it a pull to see how the spark would look by spinning with the recoil and No Spark.:confuse: I then took the recoil off and gave the flywheel a quick turn and it had spark.I checked all the wire's to make sure none were being squashed by the recoil.Found one that had a bit of bare spot so put some tape around it,gave the flywheel another quick flip and all kinds of spark.Ok put the recoil on again gave it a pull,and nothing,no spark??I'am thinking to myself hows this possible.Did I miss something.Take the recoil off again look real close at the wires and can't see anything that would cause it to short out.Gave it another flip over with spinning the flywheel and of course lots of spark.Put the recoil on give it a pull and no spark.????:mad2:Now I'am getting kinda upset what the heck is going on.Give it another pull with the recoil and happened to notice its turning the motor over counter clockwise ????.I was turning it over by hand and spinning it clockwise.I take the recoil off and take a look at it and sure enough someone has put it back together wrong.The rope was bending itself over backwards when going onto the wind up pulley.After taking the recoil apart and rewinding the spring the proper way and installing the rope and pulley back into the recoil the proper way I put the recoil back on gave it a pull and lots of spark :madhop:.I then poured a bit of gas into the cylinder,installed the spark plug and one pull it fired up and ran for a few sec.I had to see if it would run so put about a quarter tank of gas into it. I then gave it and pull and away it started.I did some grass trimming with it and it works excellent.It's got a head with 4 strings comming out of it.You have to self feed the strings out longer when they wear down.The other thing is this is a heavy machine to use,my shoulder was pretty sore after using it.BTW I used it untill it ran out of gas.It runs and works good,just hard and heavy to use.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• weed eater.jpg
  • weed eater 2.jpg
  • weed eater 3.jpg

#2 jdslednut OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 632 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted September 16, 2010 - 03:23 PM

I had the same thing happen with a chainsaw I was working on. After putting it away for a couple of years because points were NLA I found some at an auction, put them in and still no spark when I turned the motor over. I was testing it with a drill. When I went to reverse the drill to try loosen the flywheel nut I noticed that it sparked through the plug. I had been spinning it the wrong way the whole time! I finally figured out how ignorant I was when I put the recoil back on and discovered that it spins counterclockwise.

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,476 Thanks
  • 17,095 posts

Posted September 16, 2010 - 03:50 PM

Good to hear you got it running!
Thats the first time I've ever seen a head with 4 strings...

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 16, 2010 - 05:34 PM

That's amusing...and enlightening! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who does stuff like that. Thanks for sharing the story and I'm glad you got it figured out and running.

#5 old iron OFFLINE  

old iron

• Member No: 1270
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 09:43 AM

I had something like that happen to me with a chainsaw a long time ago. I got the darned thing running perfect, and told the guy up the road to come over and get it. So gets here and when I started it for him it ran like crap! Next day I go to look at it, and it started with one pull and began running perfect again. I'm no fool......I waited a day and tried it again, this time it ran good for a few minutes and began breaking up. That's when I noticed the plug wire arcing. (it didn't do that when I originally fixed it). Now when I fix older equipment, I spray water on the wire with a spray bottle to make sure the insulation on the wire is OK.

I had that happen to me once prior to that on a toro snowblower. Ran fine when dry at my shop. It got wet on the trailer bringing it back to the guy.....there's nothing more embarassing that returning a "repaired" piece of equipment to someone and it runs like crap when you go to demonstrate it. :wallbanging: Oh, the things we learn the hard way!