Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:02 AM

Was working over at a guys place and the wife decided to call me. She said the power went out and I was thinking "What next". With the wind chill being around -40 F it don't take long to cool off the old corn crib, I mean the house. Wouldn't have been so bad to go back home and fire up the generator, but it was at my dads 50 miles away. So I call up my dad, who was still awake luckily, told him I needed the generator and made arrangements to meet me part way. Got backhome got everthing up and running and started heading back over to the guys place again (the trailer had an appointment at 9:00 this morning) to finish the trailer up. Going down the driveway I looked over and seen that the neighbors yardlight was on, looked back and sure enough the powers back on. :mad2:  Go back home turn everything off and switch it back to primary power. This all started about 10:30 and the power came back on at  1:20 plenty long with no heat.

What really gets me aggitated is since we moved out to the farm the power has gone off atleast 10+ times a year. Not for afew minutes, I'm talking hours and on a few occasions its been off for days. Growing up I don't ever remember the power going off anywheres near that many times (other than when storms went through). Anyways I'm done with my little rant.

Anyone else have issues with the power going off frequently?

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,312 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:11 AM

Well, I am glad it's back on.
We are pretty lucky all in all here. Power tends to be stable and the guys on the lines are pretty fast at getting it back on.
Our outages are usually big storms or drunks taking out poles.
  • Nato77 said thank you

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:18 AM

My power used to go out, out of habit. That's part of the reason I bought the standby generator.
  • Nato77 said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:38 AM

Ours used to go out a lot. After the big ice storm here that nearly shut the whole city down, they ran underground lines through a bunch of neighborhoods. Hasn't been out since!

• tinbender7 and Nato77 have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 05:43 AM

When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s the power didn't seem to go out as much either. My dad(Eagle Scout 1931) absolutely believed in being prepared so we had the only generator in the neighborhood. The sides of the roads were much better cut back. The road crews worked their way around town trimming and removing trees in winter. If a tree that threatened the road was on private land the foreman would just ask for permission to cut it and a verbal okay was good enough. As the WWII vets retired in the 80s that began to change. I was a town engineer shared between a dozen small towns at the time. Most of my first selectmen were WWII vets and were doing the job part time for $6k a year. As the 80s progressed the vets left and young professional politicians took over. The job was now full time and $50k.  People started to refuse us permission to cut the private property trees and protest our cutting the trees on town land. Roadside tree cutting was greatly reduced. Now 25 years later we are reapping the rewards of allowing the roadsides to over grow.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 01, 2013 - 07:09 AM

When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s the power didn't seem to go out as much either. My dad(Eagle Scout 1931) absolutely believed in being prepared so we had the only generator in the neighborhood. The sides of the roads were much better cut back. The road crews worked their way around town trimming and removing trees in winter. If a tree that threatened the road was on private land the foreman would just ask for permission to cut it and a verbal okay was good enough. As the WWII vets retired in the 80s that began to change. I was a town engineer shared between a dozen small towns at the time. Most of my first selectmen were WWII vets and were doing the job part time for $6k a year. As the 80s progressed the vets left and young professional politicians took over. The job was now full time and $50k.  People started to refuse us permission to cut the private property trees and protest our cutting the trees on town land. Roadside tree cutting was greatly reduced. Now 25 years later we are reapping the rewards of allowing the roadsides to over grow.

It's called progress. Should be regress.

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and Nato77 have said thanks

#7 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 08:25 AM

We used to have regular power outages.  The power company hired a tree trimming company and that has helped tremendously.

I also bought a Kohler power plant, Small one but big enough to power the essentials. Now that I'm ready for a power outage I don't have to use it ! !

• boyscout862 and Nato77 have said thanks

#8 HankS ONLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 08:41 AM

...Anyone else have issues with the power going off frequently?

I have a portable gen, my next door neighbor has a portable gen, 2 neighbors across the street have portable gens. The neighbor behind us has an auto start standby gen as well as the 2 neighbors across the side street. Does that answer your question?

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 08:47 AM

We used to have regular power outages.  The power company hired a tree trimming company and that has helped tremendously.

I also bought a Kohler power plant, Small one but big enough to power the essentials. Now that I'm ready for a power outage I don't have to use it ! !

Congratulations on being better prepared. I hope that you have the generator properly stored. Do not trust gas in the tank even with "stabilizers". I add Marvel Mystery Oil to my gas for all engines, this cleans and lubricates the combustion chamber and valves. When I store an engine, I run it out of gas, change the oil if its old, and hand turn the engine until I feel compression build up. The Marvel tends to leave a light oil coat on the fuel system and in the engine to prevent corrosion. With the compression built up the valves are closed and moisture cannot get into the cylinder through the manifolds.

• Michiganmobileman, Nato77 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 01, 2013 - 08:55 AM

We experience outages here in Florida. I have a 12 KW that powers my whole house. It is gasoline, but I am changing it to propane. I also have 2 Kohler 5 KW  that I use for off site work. One of those is propane. Love that propane. Cheaper, cleaner, quieter, and more portable than Gasahol.

#11 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 09:16 AM

A few years back it was really bad here. We live a few miles off the main road and several times we lost power for 4 or 5 days. The public utility was brought to task for the poor service and forced to improve maintenance and tree trimming. The last few years outages have been rare. I have a 7kw PTO generator for my diesel compact tractor and it works well, having a high peak output capacity of over 10kw. It ties up the tractor but is decent on fuel. I got the generator used for 700$ and it had only a few hours on it. Couldn't resist that deal.

#12 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 09:19 AM

I go along with MHB  not often here, but as KennyP said, the underground wiring is the best for all

Dick

Edited by JRJ, February 01, 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,312 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 10:14 AM

I go along with MHB  not often here, but as KennyP saidn, the underground wiring is the best for all

Dick

They don't do much underground around here. Underground power can mess up milk production in Dairy Cattle. More than a couple of farms in these woods.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#14 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Glad you turned out OK and stayed warm.  Reminds of last time I needed one I met my brother halfway between our houses so I could borrow his.

I now have my own, I hate to admit it but it has not been run in a few years.  I keep saying I need to pull it out of its corner and get it running.  After your story I think I will do that this weekend.

#15 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 06:44 PM

Even though we are in the middle of nowhere we are within 2 miles of a big power substation. Power is usually only out for a few minutes. Longest it has ever been off was 2 hours. That was after a major wreck that took down two poles.

It went off once at night and I called the power company and told them where I lived and that there was a tree down on the lines where I could see it. They said they would have to look for the problem. Power came on. Went right back off. Came on again. Went off again. I called and told them that until they got the tree off the line they were wasting their time. After several more on and off cycles the trucks finally came around the corner and I heard one of them yell, "Hey here is the problem, a tree is on the lines." I wanted to slap someone.

• Amigatec and boyscout862 have said thanks