• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,310 Thanks
  • 5,194 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Last summer, when driving the 312-8 through the woods to mow behind the ponds at Tesie's, I saw this tree. Last week I finally took a picture of it to see what you guys thought.

At the top it looks like a white birch, and at the bottom it is something else. I don't know what the bark on the bottom half is; I would have taken a picture of the bark on the lower half, but as you can see it is on a slope, I did not want to slip on the snow into the water. :D

0652020B-8DE1-4AF1-846E-048DB273741B-125

EA3F2527-77E0-44A9-9693-81D1945C5636-125

Any of you tree experts out there know what I am looking at?

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,136 Thanks
  • 5,521 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:34 PM

That almost looks like it was grafted at some time.

#3 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:37 PM

the top half looks like a birch and the bottom looks like an elm

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,390 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Is the upper bark sort of platinum coloured as opposed to white, like

birch.

If so, my guess would be poplar.

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,334 Thanks
  • 4,060 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:05 PM

It is just  A River Birch. They get darker on the bottom portion as it matures. I have seen them like this before just never with the Dark rough bark as high up as this.

• Alc, IamSherwood and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,729 Thanks
  • 2,603 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:08 PM

It really resembles poplar on the bottom, and yet white birch on top. Be interesting to see it made into furniture. Would give a unique stain finish for sure.

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,729 Thanks
  • 2,603 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:09 PM

It is just  A River Birch. They get darker on the bottom portion as it matures. I have seen them like this before just never with the Dark rough bark as high up as this.

Chris, do birch trees normally grow that tall?

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,334 Thanks
  • 4,060 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Chris, do birch trees normally grow that tall?

The River Birch can grow from 60 - 90 feet tall. were I grew up we had quite a few that looked like this one. There are also different types of the River Birch, My favorite was always the Heritage River Birch.

• Alc and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#9 scotsman OFFLINE  

scotsman

• Member No: 2281
  • 37 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Looks like an Eastern Cottonwood to me, Populus deltoides, (or a close cottonwood relative)

They are in the poplar family, cousins of birches.

This type of "2-tone" bark is common for cottonwoods..perfectly normal, (and not grafted! ;)

Scot

Edited by scotsman, January 31, 2013 - 09:49 PM.

• Cat385B said thank you

#10 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,334 Thanks
  • 4,060 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:07 PM

Ryan I think the only way to be sure would be to get a picture of a leaf come summer.like scotsman said it could even be a Cottonwood tree? It will be interesting to see come summer. :D

#11 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 113 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:15 PM

If it was up here in the northwest I would have definitely guessed "cottonwood". Had a bunch of them at my old house and they looked just like that. I had to cut a few down one time.... When I put the face cut in it, water started POURING out of it (like a garden hose at half pressure)!! My first thought was that the center was rotted out and holding water. So needless to say It made me a little nervousness since I can count on 2 hands the number of trees I had fallen prior to that day.( but I watched a lot of you tube first, lol) Long story short, the tree was perfectly fine.... They just hold that much water normally. Any trees like that over east?

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,310 Thanks
  • 5,194 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:27 PM

I am glad that this is not an uncommon thing! I was worried it was the result of that radioactive waste I had to... Uhm... Never mind...

Now that you mention it, I remember looking at the leaves and they where the same all over the tree. I think the kind of looked like a spade? I could be remembering wrong though.

I am not familiar with any trees that retain that much water; although, those grape vines tend to hold quite a bit. Nothing like you describe though.

#13 scotsman ONLINE  

scotsman

• 37 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:35 PM

If it was up here in the northwest I would have definitely guessed "cottonwood". Had a bunch of them at my old house and they looked just like that. I had to cut a few down one time.... When I put the face cut in it, water started POURING out of it (like a garden hose at half pressure)!! My first thought was that the center was rotted out and holding water. So needless to say It made me a little nervousness since I can count on 2 hands the number of trees I had fallen prior to that day.( but I watched a lot of you tube first, lol) Long story short, the tree was perfectly fine.... They just hold that much water normally. Any trees like that over east?

We have Cottonwoods all over the North East! ;) very common..(Im in Western NY and we have a ton of them)

They get HUGE! some of our largest trees in these parts..

and in early summer, if you have a nice grove of them, the ground is covered a few inches deep with their "cotton"! looks like snow! ;)

(the cotton is their seeds..for a week or two every year they dump out the cotton like crazy.) (I actually wouldn't want one in my yard! would be very messy..)

this one in PK's photo is smaller, (but big trees have to start out small! ;)

but it looks just like the cottonwoods I have seen..I see that exact style of bark on them all the time..

Scot

#14 scotsman OFFLINE  

scotsman

• 37 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:42 PM

Now that you mention it, I remember looking at the leaves and they where the same all over the tree. I think the kind of looked like a spade? I could be remembering wrong though.

Eastern_Cottonwood_leave_2.jpg

• Cat385B said thank you

#15 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,714 Thanks
  • 4,480 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 11:17 PM

Our guess would be cottonwood or black poplar, sometimes called Balm of Gilliad. If it is it has great medicinal properties.The leaf buds smell wonderful just as they open