Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What Can You Tell Me About A Massey Mf-14 (s/n 1944005909)?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 10:19 PM

It sounds like a great deal from his CL ad! Good luck getting it! I think you will really love that GT :thumbs:

I spoke with the seller this evening and God willing and the creek don't rise I should be the proud owner of an MF-14 on Sunday with delivery on Monday. I might have pics Sunday night but if not I'm shooting for Monday evening. She was running a short while ago but currently won't start; everything points to an electrical glitch. It's a bit of a gamble, one that I'm hopeful will pay off. Yes, all you GT buffs might just get a chance to do a little troubleshooting.

• chris m said thank you

#17 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 10:37 PM

I would hate to see you have to waste time fixing it. I'll be glad to take it off your hands so you can enjoy any free time you might have :D

JK. I can't wait to see the pictures! Good luck! :thumbs:

• Trav1s and Moosetales have said thanks

#18 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 09:54 AM

It sounds like a great deal from his CL ad! Good luck getting it! I think you will really love that GT :thumbs:

Hey Chris, just realized I'm about 1 1/4 hour away from you right now.....New Bedford, MA. Could almost shout out a big Hello and you just might hear me. --Matthew

Edited by Moosetales, February 02, 2013 - 04:19 PM.

• chris m said thank you

#19 gitrdun OFFLINE  

gitrdun
  • Member No: 8739
  • 63 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 10:00 AM

i have a 3 point on my mf-16 that i just acquired, but it doesn't look to be original. are there any closeup pics of a 3 point on the forum. i will try to post pics but can't promise i can make it work. 

thanks

keith

• Moosetales said thank you

#20 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 10:21 AM

I have two mf14's and a amf1014 and they are great GT's. The amf1014 is actually a mf14 only with a different hood&grill. As long as it's in decent shape and you can get it for a decent price, you should be happy with it. They came with hydraulic lift only. I really like the hydro drives on these models and the high/low transaxle with neutral is really nice to have. They pull/plow really nice in low range, are fast in high range and you can put them in neutral when you get off them while running so they don't sneak off to the neighbors house when your not looking. The hydraulic lift also has down pressure and a float position that I really appreciate when I'm using the dozer blade. I would prefer foot controlled hydro but the hand control can be nice when I want to kneel up on the seat to see in front of or around the tractor, such as when bush hogging/mowing in unfamiliar ground (don't want to hit stuff). As already stated they did make a 3pt for these tractors but they are hard to come by. I did make a sleeve hitch for my amf1014 and plan on making another for one of the 14's. It uses the tractors original lift and works very well. If you get the tractor and would like to make one I'd be happy to share info and pics on how I made mine. I bought my 2nd mf14 for parts because it had a 3pt and I never expected it to run/operate (it is very rough), much to my surprise I got it running and it runs and drives very well for looking like it came from a swamp.

attachicon.gifDSC00814 1.JPGattachicon.gifDSC00815 1.JPGattachicon.gifDSC00816 1.JPGattachicon.gifDSC02431.JPGattachicon.gifDSC02555.JPGattachicon.gifDSC02558.JPGattachicon.gifDSC04292.JPG

Thanks for the info. It looks like I may be a happy owner come Monday. Here's to hoping and I will for sure look you up when I get around to assessing what I have. My '71 Case 444 has a sleeve hitch and it comes in handy for an assortment of things. Your machines look like true work horses for sure.

#21 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 11:18 AM

i have a 3 point on my mf-16 that i just acquired, but it doesn't look to be original. are there any closeup pics of a 3 point on the forum. i will try to post pics but can't promise i can make it work. 

thanks

keith

Here's some pic's of the 3pt on one of my mf14's. The pic's are from the day I brought it home and it needs a lot of restoring, it's on the long list of things I need to do. I believe the hitch is all there and original, except for some bolts&pins. We would like to see some pics of yours, especially if it is homemade. I know there's a lot of us out there that would like to make one.

And  :welcometogttalk:

DSC02504.JPG DSC02505.JPG DSC02510.JPG

#22 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 07:06 AM

Hi guys. I slept in fits last night in anticipation of going to see the tractor today. I'm sure tonight will be even worse since I will be paying 1/2 down today and then waiting the night before she arrives safely to my home.

Ahead of going today and getting her on a trailer, assuming everything goes as planned, is it recommended to trailer her with the cab on or off or does it much matter? If I leave the cab on I plan on wrapping it with a tarp to protect the doors from flying open or a rock hitting the windshield. Thanks.

#23 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 07:29 AM

I would take it off.

#24 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 08:06 AM

Good luck today with the purchase.

Hopefully the "not starting" is just a small issue.

For trailering, I'd strap the tractor down good and tight, and

then double up cardboard over the windshield, and ratchet strap

that on. Then a couple straps from the top of the cab forward to brace

against windspeed.(not too tight)

Looking forward to some pictures.

#25 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 08:19 AM

I would take it off.

If I do decide to remove the cab, am I looking at 10 bolts, 6 bolts, brackets and bolts? Is this a 5 minute job or a 45 minute job to remove the cab? Thanks.

#26 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 09:01 AM

I don't know how long it will take. Those cabs weren't made to withstand highway speeds.

#27 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 08:14 PM

We'll here's to a sleepless night. The family and I (who were TROOPERS if I might say so myself) took a little out-of-out-way excursion to Cornish, ME this afternoon on our way home from MA. The tractor was in exactly the shape the Neil (the seller) described. I put 1/2 down and will pay the rest once it's delivered tomorrow. 

I couldn't get the cab off due to time constraints so I did my best to batten down the hatches and hope for the best.

Things that make for a sleepless night:

1) You paid $250 to a total stranger and trust that your tractor shows up the next day.

2) You aren't the one personally strapping the tractor down to the trailer so you must trust that the seller will do great.

3) You hope that all that's wrong (why she won't start) is merely a loose connection.

Here are a few pics for this thread.....I'll start a new thread with more pics and info to boot.

Thanks to all who chimed in and gave me what I needed to close the deal.

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

• mac102004 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#28 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Sweet!  Looks like it is in great original condition.

#29 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Wow! That is a great looking MF 14!  I would have given him the price he was asking even if the motor was missing!

Great score :thumbs: :worshippy1: And are you sure you don't want me to take it off your hands? :D ( I can dream)

#30 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Looks awesome. I'd love to have a cab like that.