• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Well  I'm supprised they came to your house and didn't make you bring to them.

larryd

me too; I was looking at a 200 mi roundtrip to the inspection station. I called several places to see what they were biggest "sticklers" for as I was determined to make the trip to East peoria only once;  nobody would tell me.  cuz I didnt want to fail  and have to make a return trip down there to have them certify it.

As it turned out, the Inspector has a daughter that goes to college near me; and did a dozen or so applicants a "favor," by checking out their stuff on his way to visit his daughter, that he could get to along the way,,, that was the only "good" surprise of the process;

if I couldn't have gotten someone to be around here on  that day to run the lights in my truck when he showed up, I would have had to make that journey. I was his last stop on the way to his daughter's school.

I found out it wasn't safety, but that it was that the trailer or any component wasn't stolen; that was what led to the extended BS that started 1/1/2010 regarding getting a home made trailer legalized; you could bolt a frame together from 1X4s and put a

kid's toy wagon suspension under it as long as you can prove where all the parts came from...

but no more pulling a boat trailer out of the weeds and titling it as a home made like it used to be here.

If you have such a trailer that is so titled that was titled before 1/1/2010 youre still good>>> just make sure the title and trailer don't ever "part ways" with each other, though.

I had some woman give me an earful about how they could safety certify anything.. what would qualify them to do so which in my mind opened a big can of worms, anyone with metal fabrication skills  has enough common sense to look at something and say whether it is bound to hold together whether they would be capable of duplicating the build or not, would be a different story altogether.

I had to send a ton of pix (made me wonder if anyone there knew what they were lookin at, within the pix) and reciepts for all the "major components"   I know people that have quite a stockpile of scrap steel around their farms and such, but no reciept=they assume its stolen. I had reciepts for most of the lights, the tires, a few spools of wire, the break a way box, and the lumber that I used for the floor;

and the guy that gave me the "makings" of the frame wrote me out a reciept, for the metal I built the frame from + a used axle.

• Alc said thank you

#17 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Nice build! It looks like it will do the job for a long time! Yes, IL. is the worst state for so many things. That is one,license and title work is just a hassle. I now know not to build my own.

Geno

Go ahead Geno, build your own/ or better yet, RE build your own Search CL for something roughly close to what you want (key word "roughly") that has a title and use that as the basis for your build.  IDK if it was on here but an example I have seen in the last couple days someone bought a rodent-house of a viking popup and redid the title as a Viking utility trailer;

one thing that i was asked before I sent any pix was "are you SURE what you have didn't start out as a trailer of some kind?" Supposedly if they find anything of a VIN on there they will deny your app as a home made; thye want you to submit title for whatever it was (boat trailer camper or whatever) and "reclassify" it  as a utility trailer, they claimed that the process for this was quite easy.

I asked how much modification could be done before it could be classified home made and they said "none" so if you go to a scrap dealer, buy some used cut up material and happen to get the piece stamped with a number  they assume it was a manufactured and not a home made trailer...

I said something about having done that old Starcraft back in 97 or so, and walked in and said I needed license and title for a home made trailer and had no problem, that it was turned into a utility trailer; and that I had been all over that trailer and the only semblance of a VIN was on the sidewall of the trailer, which I stripped and scrapped at that time;  I made the comment something to the effect of manufacturers only stamping trailer VINs on the frame after a certain year much like cars before a certain year not having seat belts or backup lights or other safety features as mandatory and was told by this old bat that "I dont care if it was made in 1952, there ARE VINS stamped in the frame of anything manufactured as a trailer--somewhere"  Well I got news; I sandblasted both of these trailers plus a couple of others I have built and painted over the years and have yet to see this...

there is a stamping on the coupler itself,  that I take to be a date stamp from the coupler maker; leading me to believe that this trailer frame I started with was built in 1974   other than that the only numbers I saw anywhere were the patent number for Unistrut... and those were marked as such as a "PAT NO".......

#18 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:05 PM

and as far as IL being the worst PITA about stuff? yup. I wish I could afford to leave here. but as the old saying goes about "can't beat em, join em"? you guys may find this hard to believe

It isn't with the Sec of State Division but I have  new job and the State of IL is my "boss"

I got a job with CMS (central management Services) division as a mechanic in the motor pool  Tomorrow (2/1) was supposed to be my 1st day and I was supposed to have to drive to Springfield for Orientation; but it is on hold because of an "office" snafu on their end... but until it is resolved my start date is on hold... I was supposed to haul my toolbox up there today but i told them i was holding off til their inter office thing is solved/  problem being even if that happens Monday I gotta hold off til the 1st workday of the next pay period... meaning I gotta wait a couple more weeks...  more on that subject later in a different thread

Edited by dodge trucker, January 31, 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,242 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Very nice build! You did an awesome job with it!

It seems to me like Illinois is one of those states I see a lot of semi-trailers registered from?

• dodge trucker said thank you

#20 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Very nice build! You did an awesome job with it!

It seems to me like Illinois is one of those states I see a lot of semi-trailers registered from?

hard tellin what you might see in NY I have never been there

#21 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 07:59 PM

well, I finally got some pix of my winch setup, please don't laugh. 2000 lb Superwinch ATV winch

004.JPG back side of toolbox where hook comes out,

005.JPG I stuck a referig box behind he rail, nothing to really see but a MESS anyway

006.JPG 007.JPG

thats with the box open so you can see the room Or lack of?)

Today I tied the battery into the #6 post of the 7 blade trailer connector as the small sealed battery for the "engager"  electric brake breakaway  already was so it can charge while on the road;

I have my 2 bank MATCO toolbox loaded onto the deck of the trailer and tools "all over" the place as I decide what to take, what to leave home as I get ready to start the new job;

my son and I wrapped a sling around the box. down low, my son "helped" the box and guided it up straight  it mainly needed a boost getting the smallish casters started from the concrete to the ramp gate... something like a GT, with their larger air-type tires, will be an easier start up the ramp without help. . 

While the winch could not get my box started up the ramp alone without a lil "boost" as each pair of casters hit the gate, the 2 of us could not have done the job without it either. Once he put a 2X4 under the edge and lifted it a bit the winch took over itl he had to do the same for the back pair of wheels.

With the help of a 3rd guy (one of my son's buddies)  we then set the top chest down onto the trailer deck next to the bottom cabinet to keep the center of gravity low for when I tow it the 40 miles to my new job, meanwhile it sits in the garage on the trailer  out of the weather and away from prying eyes... yes though I emptied it it took 3 of us to get that top chest off the bottom.

• KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#22 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I put the toolbox on a 2" thick oak frame  to raise it a bit, otherwise the cable would have come out of the box below grade ("grade" being the top surface of the trailer floor)  I still gotta get a piece of conveyor belt to make a flap out of to cover the hole for the hook to come out of the box; I will probably pop rivet this flap with a sheet metal "backer" strip above the hole you see.
Though I am not an HF fan in the least they opened a brand new store about 3 miles from my new job-to-be; I stopped in for a look around the other day and saw something that definitely caught my interest while there, they had a small roller fairlead by their winch display, I am thinkin of getting one and welding a mount for it between the back of the box where the hook comes out and the front wall of the bed.

Oh yeah almost forgot I also put that new crank jack on today as well  because my son forgot to crank it up when he backed the trailer into the garage and bent the old one.....

Edited by dodge trucker, February 04, 2013 - 08:07 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#23 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,242 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:32 PM

There might not be a lot of room in the box, but it sure keeps everything tidy! :thumbs:

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,707 Thanks
  • 43,751 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 07:18 AM

I am looking at a similar situation when I get the other winch, but your posts have given me ideas. Thanks for sharing this. My box is a bit larger than yours, so I plan to make a tray above the winch for straps and such. The winch I plan to get has the fairlead. I need to see if there is power at the trailer plug on the PU. I now know which should be the 12V connection there. May have to get a different plug as I have the 7X4 at present. I need one more wire for the 12V.

#25 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hey dodge trucker ! I grew up in Farmington .

larryd

#26 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 04:41 PM

I am looking at a similar situation when I get the other winch, but your posts have given me ideas. Thanks for sharing this. My box is a bit larger than yours, so I plan to make a tray above the winch for straps and such. The winch I plan to get has the fairlead. I need to see if there is power at the trailer plug on the PU. I now know which should be the 12V connection there. May have to get a different plug as I have the 7X4 at present. I need one more wire for the 12V.

yeah if youre runnin a 7 blade plug one of the "outer 6" blades is a constant 12V feed meant to charge an onboard RV battery(ies) so they are fully charged bt the time you get to your campsite;  this is where I took the feed from to charge my battery. I didn't think I could transmit enough power (amps) thru the 7 blade connector by itself (heat buildup, melted terminls)  to run the winch alone that's why I put the battery in there it just so happens that a U 1 GT battery fits perfect inside. I figure since this is an "ATV" winch, and knowing that those take some pretty small batteries in them thata  larger GT battery should at least have more reserve capacity and give me more "pulls" than the ATV one would; though the instr. that came with the winch did say to have the ATV engine running while using the winch.... I guess that the few amps that their charging coils produce make the difference in getting the winch enough amps;

and on the toolbox, it's your garden variety '70-80s Craftsman hand carry box  that they sold by the millions,   As I remember they sold these in 3 variations  an 18" long one a 24" long and (as I recall) a 30"ish version; they were all the same height/width.  My particular box is a 24" version and was a $2 garage sale find from this past summer.

• Alc, KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#27 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,686 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 07:10 PM

Nice job on everything, DT!! I have a 16' tandem axle w/ 3' sides. I think later I'll get one of the HF trailers for my light hauling. Doubt I can build one cheaper.

Mike

#28 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 08:42 PM

it's not my 1st build but may be my last; though I have alot less $$ wrapped up in it than I could buy a similar trailer for (at least if we're talking new) in the future if I do another I will definitely start with the remnants of something that already has a title and build from there. . 

I was in HF the other day lookin around; and for "my" needs anyway, if their trailer will be large enough to haul what needs moved then so will the bed of my Dakota/daily driver.

#29 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 04:47 PM

well got my toolbox moved today, that winch was a back saver getting it loaded onto the trailer... my new job got delayed, have not started working yet,  had a problem of no right turn and brake lights; was up til midnight probing and testing,  i have a "Power probe" testlight a self powered test light that I can "feed" a line 12V and isolate a break in a wire.  I had continuity past a certain point, none before from there forward to the plug,  so i thought I had a broken wire,  cut it out and spliced in a section, still nothing. It wound up being a wire that had come loose right in the 7 way RV plug.

#30 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 10:25 AM

next step; put terminals on the wires within the plug so they stay on,  as I never did like the idea of just a  wire under a screw, tehse were "factory" assembled too, I bought the plug with an 8' pigtail and the 7 wires within a jacket like a big fat extension cord...