• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 11:44 AM

crap, lost em... gotta start this post over  I have mentioned my trailer build a few times here on GT talk and I'm (finally)  gonna get some pix up  here of the trailer I built in   Fall '10 and struggled with legal issues to get it legally able to be titled, plated and on the road during late winter and Spring '11... sorry no pix taken during the build itself  (I wish now I had, especially to detail how I did the dovetail) 

but building and snappiing pix while working myself, well I only have 2 hands LOL

I have mentioned this trailer (bordering on thread jack) in Kenny P's thread so figured I'd better start my own.

This started as a 16' camper, that was already stripped to a bare frame and axle before I got it; I got the frame from a long time buddy, whose yard I helped clean up (3 months' worth of being over there everyday) when he sold his former home so that he could "close" on the deal... he has since moved 2 hours away.

I was told "take it, or I gotta scrap it"...

trailer project 002.JPG trailer project 006.JPG trailer project 019.JPG trailer project 021.JPG trailer project 033.JPG

These pix were during my "final assembly" and testing of the lights/wiring, as I was going thru the fight with the IL Gov't to get it legal to actually be used on-road as a trailer and not just to have as a "yard ornament"

I do have about 20 more where I have those pix stored,  some are "repeats", and I  also want to get pix of my recent winch addition; warning, it isn't so nice and crisp and fresh lookin no more it has recieved a few battle scars since the ones shown here were taken....

I'll detail the build story  and reasoning for doing some of what I did to it, later; and get some pix of that winch install I did recently  "later"... I went back to MTF last nite and looked, the most recent post has now been buried  at the very end of pg 9 in "trailers"  with alot of questions.info seeking from during the build, on pgs 11-12 in that topic heading..  nevermind... don't. some of my "writing skills"  make me look like a fool

my name there used to be "Don B'" til I got banned a while back.. (don't ask, I will just say that I avoid any topic where Mark 777 is remotely involved, now) 

looking back and reading what I wrote then; it was like "OMG, I wrote THAT"?  not real organized or punctuationally  "correct" if you get what I mean/  I will try to put up a condensed version here.

some of you who (used to?) frequent MTF may find these shots, familiar looking.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 11:48 AM

I love your Lincense, and that is a nice looking trailer-John Deere Green I see.

Dick

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 11:52 AM

When I built the lift gate I put a "flat 4" just beneath the bumper on the left side that I unplug when i want to use the trailer without the tailgate mounted;  all LED lighting except for the oval "clearance lights" on the side, which were just some old-new ones that  I had on the shelf

The lights on the tailgate are wired so that of the 4 round ones, the inner pair work with the parking lights and the outers work with the brake/turn; the oval ones in the bumper work with all of those... 

The bumper is a 4" square tube  that was the original camper's bumper... I cut out the area thats recessed for the license plate, flipped it around and welded it back in  and welded a cap on the end of the bumper that wasn't previously;  the bumper still held the crapper evacuation hose when I got it...

the axle is a drop type, 6 lug hubs (same as old Chevy and Jeep Cherokee Chief wheels)  with 10" brakes that are functional..

All wiring is soldered and heat shrinked with as much inside taht bumper tube as possible for protecttion from the elements

I gotta replace the tongue jack now since my son forgot to crank it up hooked his truck to it and went to back it in the garage, and caught the still-extended jack on the front edge of the garage slab...

• Alc and larryd have said thanks

#4 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:02 PM

up here in Canada all they ask you (to get plates for your trailer) is what color and the weight and $25 later your pulling your "homemade" trailer down the road that's a nice trailer ! Cant ever have enough lights ! with the crazy motorists today 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:15 PM

I love your Lincense, and that is a nice looking trailer-John Deere Green I see.

Dick

not quite JD Green, just plain old "Industrial" Rustoleum/ I think they call it "Forest Green" there is more than a gallon of it on there plus hardener. .  ... I sandblasted it, then primed it with Rustoleum "Rusty metal" Primer... I never claimed to be a pro with a paint gun, but for some unknown reason the paint came out between a "flat" and a "matte" sheen when it dried; except the fenders which came out a little glossier. Weird, as I sprayed it all at once. I set the axles on jackstands and the front jack on an upside down 5 gallon bucket and laid on the dirt floor to spray the underside. My son was close by to keep my hose from gettin tangled or toucjung the fresh paint.

I painted it with a 5HP Briggs powered Emglo compressor that sat outside the barn to prevent exhaust or stirred up dust from poisoning the paint job while  saving the compressor head and engine from paint fumes too.

I had primed it around Thanksgiving and it waited til just before Christmas to get painted, during one of those weird 50* December days with 40-some MPH winds; I painted it in a friend's barn...  and then I clear coated it which brought the sheen to more of a "matte" or semi gloss

the frame is as it was when I got it, less 3 feet of length, but added  the dovetail that I built in, a couple more cross braces (originally they were only every 4' now they are every 2')   and the moving of the axle from 102" to 80.. I wish i'd have thought of the differences in CofG and balance point that the dovetail and the gate would create when towed.  It occasionally gets a lil fish taily at speed if I don't load it "just" right with the gate on it;  but tows awesomely with no fishtailing at any speed with any load (that I have carried so far) with the gate off and left behind.

I cut off the "roughly" triangular gussets that extended outward from the frame  from its days as a camper, and replaced them with 2X2 tubing. the main trailer frame is .090 wall, 2X4 rect. tubing. I continued the 2X2 tubing for the uprights for the rail, which itself is Unistrut that is installed open side down... W T H, why not??  it's what material I had given to me, by the same buddy that moved away

The fenders I bought from Farm and Fleet, as well as the Carlisle trailer tires--all 3 incl the spare-- they are "Sport trail" 225.75-D 15 bias.  the lighting (that which I didn't already have layin around) came from Fleet Pride, an "18 wheeler" parts house nearby. All, but the side clearance lights, are LED.  and if I ever have reason to replace those I will do so with LED's there as well. figured I'd use up what I had here, 1st

The Ramp gate was 100% scratch built, as were the mounts I made for it, and welded to the bumper, 4 pins and 1 flat 4 connector, and it comes right off when needed....

the trailer is 77" wide to the outside of the rail, 60" between the fenders,  and 11'6 to the breakover point of the dovetail and 13' from front rail to back edge of bumper.

My last trailer was a 6X10 made out of an old late 60s vintage Starcraft popup, with only 5.30-12 tires and 4 lug hubs... this one is ALOT stronger. 

Cost wise I have 1/3 tied up into mine,  what farm and Fleet wanted for their closest size trailer that GVW'd out at 2990#  no brakes, all 3/16" X 2 Angle iron frame... comparatively even though the same size, not built nearly so well. 

Edited by dodge trucker, January 31, 2013 - 08:58 PM.

• Alc and larryd have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:24 PM

Here in GA there is no title and you just register it as a home made trailer and Like 8tyman8 said pay your tag fee's and away you go.  You can get a registration plate with a serial number if you want, mine already had one when I bought it.

#7 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,990 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:35 PM

Dick

:ditto:  just great - and a well made trailer!

#8 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:51 PM

Very nice trailer. I bought one about 5 yrs ago similar to it 5 x 14 with dove tail but it cost me $1350.00

I sold it  for $1000.00 to a friend and wish  I had it back . You can't have a trailer parked at your home where we live.

larryd

Edited by larryd, January 31, 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 02:13 PM

DT., Great trailer build. :thumbs:  IL. was always pain to do anything with license and titles stuff. :wallbanging:  Dad moved there from IN. and he had me do his stuff in IN. because it was so much easier.

Thanks for sharing..

BTW, I really like your license plate. But I bet the PO PO won't!

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 04:07 PM

That is a nice trailer you have! Glad you got it legal! I'll be watching for more pics. I almost put a dovetail on mine, glad I didn't now.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 04:24 PM

It looks really nice.  Good job on the build.

#12 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:39 PM

That is a nice trailer you have! Glad you got it legal! I'll be watching for more pics. I almost put a dovetail on mine, glad I didn't now.

the dove tail definitely helps, and I "winged it" thru most of the build; details like overall length, dovetail length, axle placement, amount of drop for the dovetail, rail height,  I went with what "looked good" at the time... trailer width, I set by the axle width I was provided

I am definitely glad I did go with the dovetail as it cut down on the length of ramps I would need 

If I was gonna do it again, I'd possibly just tack weld the axle or C clamp it and tow it around the block and pick up the tongue by hand and see how easy/hard it was to pick up and move, before I welded anything solid.

and I would definitely still do a dovetail.

the very last part of the metal fabrication was the ramp gate  I shoulda done the axle placement last, instead.

But they say that even a custom home builder that builds his own home, it takes 7 houses to get every last detail right;

but all that said it's still a way better trailer, than the one it replaced,or any new trailer similar in size that I can buy for 3X the price of what I spent on it.

Edited by dodge trucker, January 31, 2013 - 09:01 PM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#13 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:45 PM

on the license plate, part of the "instructions" for needed pictures that they wanted me to submit, said I had to show my "license plate bracket and lighting" 

I just wanted them to be sure they saw where I had planned to mount it...

a "temporary" plate here is a pale-r yellow with black and red lettering.... so I just copied that theme The Sec of State officer that came to the house to check it out did get a kick out of it;  this happened while I was at school one day, I left my truck home and plugged in, my wife was home and all she had to do was operate the brakes turn signals and parking lights for him to see and he riveted the  VIN tag onto the tongue.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#14 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 06:30 PM

Well  I'm supprised they came to your house and didn't make you bring to them.

larryd

#15 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Nice build! It looks like it will do the job for a long time! Yes, IL. is the worst state for so many things. That is one,license and title work is just a hassle. I now know not to build my own.

Geno