• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Does anyone hate buying a special that will probably never used again ?

larryd

• Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:48 AM

yes, it is stupid to get a 100 dollar tool to remove a part thats is a one time deal

• larryd said thank you

#3 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:02 AM

Does anyone hate buying a special that will probably never used again ?

larryd

I try not to. I have made several.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:02 AM

yes, it is stupid to get a 100 dollar tool to remove a part thats is a one time deal

Not at all if taking the item to a shop means they charge you $125 to do what you could do with the $100 tool, and you still have the tool at least.

In cases like this, you saved $25 and got the tool for free.

It may be years, but "usually" some day down the road, you end up finally needing that tool again.

• tinbender7, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 Kurtee ONLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Guilty as charged. I have plenty of one time items. There are things I have been into that nothing else but the proper tool will work and the part is too costly to destroy or not available at all. Also it sometimes saves your sanity. I also have tools that I have not used yet, but may someday. Collecting tools is like collecting garden tractors or anything else for that matter.

KURTEE

• caseguy, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:14 AM

I hate having to do that. Thankfully, Autozone has the loan a tool, I get most of them from there and then take back. I had to make a valve spring compressor for my OH160, hopefully I will never need it again! :smilewink:

#7 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:19 AM

I agree with what Daniel says about the cost of the tool vs paying to get it done. sometimes it isn't all about the money but the convience of having it when you need it. Especially if its an item you've had a call for more than once but not a lot. There have been tools I've made or adapted to do the job. I lke harbor freight stuff for this because its cheap and if it doesn't work your not out much. The thing I really hate is when the tool man stops in the shop with some hot new labor saving device and suckers me into buying it. Then when I try to use it it's more frustrating and takes longer than the rigged way I'd been doing it for years!.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Twentyfive years ago I needed a special tool for rebuilding the hydraulic cylinders on my TLB. The new OTC tool was $175 which was an awful lot of money. I did what I usually do, I procrastinated. After a couple months, (I'm really good at procrastinating) it was crunch time. I went to the local fleamarket the weekend before I had to order the new tool and there was one for $25 with the optional adapter. I grabbed it and rebuilt 11 cylinders(I did the shoveldozer too). I now have to look at rebuilding 17 cylinders this year and I'm sure the tool will pay for itself a dozen times over.

My point is to collect the tools when you come across them at very good prices. Since that one, I have bought atleast a dozen $200 tools for about $25 each, repaired and used them. I stopped at a tag sale a dozen years ago and bought hundreds of dollars worth of B&S tools for cheap. The guy told me that he'd been trying to sell them for months but nobody had been interested before me.

I have also collected tools for making special tools, welders, lathes, drillpresses, and tons of steel scrap. Even with all this I sometimes have to break down and by the special tool for the newest vehicles that I have. Compared to the cost of having someone else do it, I usually figure the tool pays for itself.

Some parts places will rent you the tool when you buy the part. Some don't even charge. Check Hardor Freight too.

Remember: He who dies with the most toys, wins!

• caseguy, Alc, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#9 JRJ ONLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:32 AM

O.K. Larryd I will bite-what tool did you have to buy, let me guess-the small valve spring removing tool.

I am sure I have at some point, I just don't remember at the present what it would have been.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, January 31, 2013 - 10:34 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:38 AM

Boyscout-  You are a cheapster!!!   :worshippy1:

That is exactly what I do..  Since I wait an buy old equipment I can usually get the specialty tools @ a nice discount too!   :dancingbanana:

#11 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:43 AM

I agree with what Daniel says about the cost of the tool vs paying to get it done. sometimes it isn't all about the money but the convience of having it when you need it. Especially if its an item you've had a call for more than once but not a lot. There have been tools I've made or adapted to do the job. I lke harbor freight stuff for this because its cheap and if it doesn't work your not out much. The thing I really hate is when the tool man stops in the shop with some hot new labor saving device and suckers me into buying it. Then when I try to use it it's more frustrating and takes longer than the rigged way I'd been doing it for years!.

I have several old tool boxes full of cheap or old wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, and unidentified old special tools. I have used these to make special tools on many occassions. These things often come from tag sales where its ten dollars for the box full of tools. If there is a tool or part in the box that I want I get the whole box and then sort the contents. The empty toolbox then gets added to the pile that I plan to paint the next time I paint a car, truck, or tractor.

• larryd said thank you

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:59 AM

Boyscout-  You are a cheapster!!!   :worshippy1:

That is exactly what I do..  Since I wait an buy old equipment I can usually get the specialty tools @ a nice discount too!   :dancingbanana:

I prefer to be called a "Swamp Yankee"(LOL). It makes sense. To spend a dollar you have to earn $1.50. When you do it yourself and save $1000 over what a shop would cost, you save $1500 from what you earn. The difference is TAXES! I also find that I enjoy the learning and usually do a much better job than the shop would do.

I learned from my father who was a teen during the depression. His first car was a dead model T that he bought for a dollar. As an apprentice carpenter he was making $0.25 per hour and glad to get it. He and a couple buddys fixed it up and he drove it until '38 when he bought a brand new Ford V8. He was a journeyman by then and could afford it. He taught me to make do in a lot of situations and to be clever. He travelled alot during the war and learned from many different people. I got the benefit of his knowledge and unfortunately his temper(which taught me to be alot more tolerant).

We all should be in the habit of stretching our dollars and working towards our individual independence. Our tools and knowledge help us on this.

Edited by boyscout862, January 31, 2013 - 11:01 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, philips100 and 3 others have said thanks

#13 8tyman8 ONLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 11:41 AM

I hate having to do that. Thankfully, Autozone has the loan a tool, I get most of them from there and then take back. I had to make a valve spring compressor for my OH160, hopefully I will never need it again! :smilewink:

i used a bent 1/2 wrench and rotated the engine to Tdc worked like a charm

#14 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:25 PM

JRJ Coffee in the morning?

larryd

Edited by larryd, January 31, 2013 - 01:26 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:48 PM

Sometimes nothing else will do. I think I  still  have a Clutch aligning tool for a VW Rabbit used once. The cost of rental was higher than the cost of the tool, plus I would have had to drive halfway across des moines to return it?