• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 03:42 PM

When you say "loader arm" are you talking about the round pipe that acts as the only arm going from the 3pt frame out to the bucket?

Yes, His was a single arm loader on the front though. I don't know how heavy this one is built.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:12 PM

I've thought about the dirt scoop but I don't think my tractor has enough weight to dig that much with it. But I figure when it's FEL time I can put a heavy ballast on the back to help kep traction.

Turning the compost pile is EXACTLY why I'm thinking of building one. I will need to turn my pile way before I have a FEL built...

The bucket/forks sticking out a little further is double edged. One with it set further out it could be used to lift the material much higher, but like you said, it will require more counter balance. I'm thinking of the forks to be 24" wide and 12"-18" deep. What does manure weigh? 80lbs per cu.ft. = a mounded scoop of 160 and 240 pounds.

Using the 80 lbs per cu. ft for manure weight, my 9 cu. ft. dirt scoop would be at  720 lbs.  I found numbers for Horse manure at 44.4-62.9 lbs and Cow Manure @ 50 lbs.

There would surely be a big variation based on how much water it held.  The numbers I found for Dirt was 100 lbs per cu. ft.

• twostep said thank you