#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 11:52 PM

Never seen one of these... Might be a good bandaid until I get my FEL.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3M93Fd3H55Lf5Fe5Jed1l10e7088b3b561343.jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 04:12 AM

That's different! Gets the ideas floating around!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 04:20 AM

Too close for me yuck!! LOL, I don't miss those days one bit...
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:06 AM

That's for a large tractor I think. I had a small(24") dirt scoop on the back of an x475. It was a Cat 1. Even that one would be too large for most GT's. The construction is pretty simple and you could make one sized for a Cat 0. I called it the poor mans loader when I had it on the 475. Heres some pics. I still have it and use the frame to mount a scarifier for the 2320. The one I have is a Worksaver brand. 

125_2572.JPG  

125_2575.JPG  

• Texas Deere and Horse, JD DANNELS, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:08 AM

Would work ok, but if you have rear ag tires, they are "directional" and you wouldn't get any traction going backwards.

Had that problem years ago pushing snow with a farm tractor....had the blade turned backwards and couldn't push diddly squat.

• boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:56 AM

I was looking more at the forks to back under something, lift, and move around.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:31 AM

When I bought my 1500 Ford, it came with a nearly new King Kutter dirt Scoop(much like the one in Brians photo).

I was skepticle of it's usefulness? After having moved about 30 ton of dirt to level my tractor shed. I would never be without one!!

Yes it does not lift as high as a loader, but it is much easier to put on and off. And too often a loader is in the way or adds enough length the tractor is not manuverable.  It is my opinion that one should have a dedicated Loader Tractor and a second for all the other work. Unless of course you can afford one of the new machines with the Quick Attatch loaders that can be put on or taken off in about 5 minutes.

As Kenny said it would work for moving things. A 3 point Carry All(simple platform) is on the short list of things to build for the Ford. Toteing buckets and tool to and from the garden, Fencing tools to the far end of the property etc.

You know that would be the perfect tool for turning the Compost Pile!!

And I have seen pictures of them used in Europe to tote Hay  for loose stacks.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 31, 2013 - 09:36 AM.

• Alc and twostep have said thanks

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:46 AM

With manure forks, traction in reverse wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem.  With very little speed, the momentum will sink the forks into the material, unlike trying to scoop stuff up.  BUT, with it's far rearward set, it will take a lot of counterweight off the front to have any steering left at all, plus you'd be looking at the sky quite often!  :D 

#9 Kurtee ONLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:15 AM

OK This puts ideas in my feeble mind. If you want to lift and carry on the rear why not build a mast similar to a forklift and use a winch to pull it up? The pulleys would need to be caged to keep the cable on when you run it slack and you could use multiplyed force by running the cable around multiple pulleys. The height and type of platform could be made any way ya want. Just some rambling thoughts here.

KURTEE

• KennyP said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Ok here is a company that takes a slightly different swing at this concept and does build for Category O.

Westendorf has a good reputation.

http://www.loaders.c...spx?seriesid=23

• KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 11:15 AM

Would work ok, but if you have rear ag tires, they are "directional" and you wouldn't get any traction going backwards.

Had that problem years ago pushing snow with a farm tractor....had the blade turned backwards and couldn't push diddly squat.

The scoops are reversible actually. Facing rear like in the pictures I used it to move material from a pile and dump it wherever it's needed. You can put it on the other way and pull it to scrape up material.  They are sometimes called pond scoops because you can dig a shallow pit (pond) by pulling them with the cutting edge forward. In that case you would have the AG's going in the right direction. The rig in the picture had no problems with traction when used to move material from a pile. The front weight was needed to keep weight on the wheels when backing down a hill with a scoop full.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#12 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 11:40 AM

...King Kutter dirt Scoop

...Yes it does not lift as high as a loader, but it is much easier to put on and off.

...You know that would be the perfect tool for turning the Compost Pile!!

I've thought about the dirt scoop but I don't think my tractor has enough weight to dig that much with it. But I figure when it's FEL time I can put a heavy ballast on the back to help kep traction.

Turning the compost pile is EXACTLY why I'm thinking of building one. I will need to turn my pile way before I have a FEL built...

With manure forks, traction in reverse wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem.  With very little speed, the momentum will sink the forks into the material, unlike trying to scoop stuff up.  BUT, with it's far rearward set, it will take a lot of counterweight off the front to have any steering left at all, plus you'd be looking at the sky quite often!  :D 

The bucket/forks sticking out a little further is double edged. One with it set further out it could be used to lift the material much higher, but like you said, it will require more counter balance. I'm thinking of the forks to be 24" wide and 12"-18" deep. What does manure weigh? 80lbs per cu.ft. = a mounded scoop of 160 and 240 pounds.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 11:42 AM

The scoops are reversible actually. Facing rear like in the pictures I used it to move material from a pile and dump it wherever it's needed. You can put it on the other way and pull it to scrape up material.  They are sometimes called pond scoops because you can dig a shallow pit (pond) by pulling them with the cutting edge forward. In that case you would have the AG's going in the right direction. The rig in the picture had no problems with traction when used to move material from a pile. The front weight was needed to keep weight on the wheels when backing down a hill with a scoop full.

I agree Brian, I've found that when I get wheelspin backing into a pile it's telling me I'm taking too big a Bite. My Scoop is 9Cu, Ft which full works out to about !000 lbs and with 3 33 lb Ford Factory weights makes the front end pretty light. I could put more weight on the front, but think I would be wiser to take a little less and make an extra trip(My place is one big hill and steering with brakes only makes for exciting trips).  Since I don't have depth control on my 3 point it is taking some getting used to, to pull the scoop forward. Getting the top link set to where I'm digging without going deeper than I want is taking some practice. I have found I do better with the rear blade and it gives me  nice crumbly dirt . I push that into a pile then put on the scoop and move it out of the bottom to where I need it.

Or I have started a Stock pile behind the Tractor shed to save trips to the bottom of the hill.

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Bobby, Those little loaders do a good job on moving manure, but they aren't built to handle lots of weight. A friend of mine had one on his Ford 401, it did well with the POH, but he tried to move gravel with it and a different bucket he built. He twisted the loader arm and had to cut it out and replace it to use it in the cattle barn again.

Turning compost, it would do that OK if you didn't get too much on it.

#15 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 03:37 PM

He twisted the loader arm and had to cut it out and replace it to use it in the cattle barn again.

When you say "loader arm" are you talking about the round pipe that acts as the only arm going from the 3pt frame out to the bucket?