14 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:53 PM

This is a follow-up posting to my Great Customer Service posting.  Paint day has come & gone.  Here are the results.

The sample paint was a 340g rattle can of Old Caterpillar Yellow manufactured (or distributed) by Rust Check.  The test areas were the left & right side panels from my Allis HB112.  The areas were prepared by: 1) scuff sanding to various degrees of bare metal with 100 grit paper, 2) soap and water wash, 3) Methyl Hydrate rinse, and 4) drying.   The drying room was temperature controlled at 20*C (68*F) and 37% humidity.  Except where noted below, the areas were left to dry for about 90 minutes between coats.

Impressions:  The spray nozzle is of the standard design, but has the wide horizontal slit which gives a vertical fan spray pattern (don't ask me how). It is, therefore, prone to the "painted trigger finger" flaw.  The wide slit / vertical spray pattern took some getting use to, as I am more use to the Tremclad round hole which gives a conical spray pattern.  The major difference is that the conical pattern gives two coats with each pass (leading & trailing edge of the cone) whereas the vertical pattern gives only one coat per pass.  This allows for thinner coats, but that has its own drawbacks for this paint.

That drawback is related to the drying time between coats.  Tremclad and other rattle cans have a 1-2 hour re-coat window: you can re-coat within the window or after 1 or 2 days.  This means the paint is still tacky, or non-dry, when the next coat goes on.  This paint has a 90 minute no re-coat period: the paint must be completely dry (90 minutes) before re-coating.  While this liberates the painter from timers, it dramatically increases the overall paint cycle when combined with the single coat per pass mentioned above.

So, how much does it extend the paint cycle?  Well, I needed 6 coats to get a satisfactory covering.  For you with Arithmophobia (math-phobia) that is 5 drying periods, or 450 minutes, or 7.5 hours.  Mine was extended even further in that a sleep overtook me between coats 5 & 6.

As you can see from the pictures, my coat count was likely excessive in that the coats are on the thin side in an effort to build layers without getting runs.  Eventually, I will get to know how thick I can make a coat without getting runs.  The last few coats were thicker than the first few.

Before coat 6, I took some time to examine the results and compare them to a control area I did with Tremclad Rust Paint (Gloss Black).  While the Tremclad only took 4 coats & 90 minute to paint, it was still tacky after 18 hours of drying.  The Rust Check parts were dry and hard as nails.  But for the colour sanding & polishing, they were ready to install.  In the end, the Rust Check paint was faster from start to install, even with the higher coat count, and the end result will be equal if not better.

Recommendation:  I like the paint and will definitely use it again.

Left panel - outer side

Left outside - 0.JPG Left outside - 1.JPG Left outside - 2.JPG Left outside - 3.JPG Left outside - 4.JPG Left outside - 5.JPG Left outside - 6.JPG

Left panel - inner side

Left inside - 0.JPG Left inside - 1.JPG Left inside - 2.JPG Left inside - 3.JPG Left inside - 4 .JPG Left inside - 5.JPG Left inside - 6.JPG

Right panel - outer side

Right outside - 0.JPG Right outside - 1.JPG Right outside - 2.JPG Right outside - 3.JPG Right outside - 5.JPG Right outside - 6.JPG

Right panel - inner side

Right inside - 0.JPG Right inside - 1.JPG Right inside - 2.JPG Right inside - 3.JPG Right inside - 4.JPG Right inside - 5.JPG Right inside - 6.JPG

• wawcub47, KennyP, sacsr and 7 others have said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 09:04 PM

So I need 6 cans of John Deere Green---------------tomorrow, joking.  It does sound like the Rust Check is a good product.

Thank for the time you pu into the testing and then lettin us know your results.

Dick

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#3 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Wow! Great write up and thanks for the pics. They add much to the story. I too find that the "fan" spray gets on my finger and eventually makes a mess of things.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 09:45 PM

So overall you like the new stuff you just found? You didn't lay down any primer?

Thanks so much for posting this info and I will be contacting that lead you gave me. :thumbs:

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 09:48 PM

So overall you like the new stuff you just found? You didn't lay down any primer?

Thanks so much for posting this info and I will be contacting that lead you gave me. :thumbs:

Yes, I like it. The Rust Check rep said not to use primer.

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 09:53 PM

Will you post some pictures and info on how it looks after sanding please.

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 10:16 PM

I haven't decided whether I'll colour sand & polish these parts yet.  At this point, I'm doing a revival, not a restoration.  That competes with my desire to do a full testing of the paint.  More thought required...

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:17 AM

Looks pretty good.I think I'd have used primer anyway,ever though the guy said not to.

#9 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for all the info and pics, did I miss a price quote on this product?

Just followed link doesn't seem to be too widely available here in the states, however they'd probably ship it if needed.

http://rustcheck.com...ry=0&Itemid=106

Edited by Newpaws493, January 31, 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for sharing the results of your testing.  Did the rep say why no primer?  Does this paint work similar to Rust-Oleum rust inhibitor?  The panels come out looking very nice in the photo's. I'll be interested in seeing the final results.

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Without primer, it takes way more paint for even color.  Sounds like the rep knows he can sell a LOT more paint by advising against primer use.  3 coats would likely be plenty when used with a complete even coat of primer....maybe even just 2 coats.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Without primer, it takes way more paint for even color.  Sounds like the rep knows he can sell a LOT more paint by advising against primer use.  3 coats would likely be plenty when used with a complete even coat of primer....maybe even just 2 coats.

I wondered if that was the reason also??

#13 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for taking the time to share this

#14 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 09:39 AM

I have put the three questions posed above (primer, Texas, & colours) to the CSR via email.  He will call me later today.  I'll post a summary of his answers.

Thanks for all the info and pics, did I miss a price quote on this product?

Just followed link doesn't seem to be too widely available here in the states, however they'd probably ship it if needed.

http://rustcheck.com...ry=0&Itemid=106

I paid just shy of $10 a can, about the same as Tremclad.  Speaking of which, I had another look at the parts I painted with Tremclad as a control sample.  They are still slightly soft & tacky.  I got really inconsistent coverage, which was likely a function of the shape of the parts (L shaped). But the real surprise was in the gloss.  I had some nice shinny areas & others that were almost flat black in texture.  Not happy with the way they came out.  

I'm not going to colour sand and polish these pieces.  I didn't spend enough time getting them flat.  I did, however, wet sand them with 3M 600 grit and give them one last coat.  Here are the results.  More than adequate for a revival, IMHO. 

Final 0.JPG Final 1.JPG Final 3.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:09 AM

It's looks good. thanks for sanding and posting.

And thank you for forwarding our questions to the Rep.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paint