16 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Started here about 9pm last night. 40 mph winds and there is about 4.5 inches of snow on the ground.
I heard a guy on the radio who said it took 3.5 hrs to drive from Newton to Des Moines early this morning. Thats depending on where he was going in Des Moines would be 35-45 miles.
So I slept in and am not going to work. Waiting for things to taper off and wind to go down before I GET THE TRACTOR OUT
  • Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, Moosetales and 1 other said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Count your blessings. People around here would love the moisture. I hope you get some more before spring.

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 11:31 AM

we only got a couple inches, and a little wind, but our snow didnt come until after 3am and was done before 10am. Looks to be back up in the high 30's for the weekend, just have to get though the next couple days of cold.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 11:58 AM

We're getting wind and rain here. It's going to get up to about 50f tomorrow and  SW winds in the 90kph (55mph) range. 

#5 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'll come help you blow the snow if you need it........blowing rain (like we have here) isn't much fun.

#6 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 01:06 PM

We had some thunderstorms with high wind started at 5am and still raining now. It was 70F yesterday going dowm 32F tonight very strange weather.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 01:17 PM

I hope you can post some pictures of you destroying those drifts in your driveway ! :thumbs:

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 03:11 PM

I see you're from Newton Ia. The last 2 times I was there/thru there were met with bad weather.  last time was about 2 years ago, we went and toured the Kinze plant then on to Iowa State and Ag Leader Company... We went to kinze one afternoon then continued west; we stayed in a motel right near Iowa State and were hearing about the bad weather 'all around" us; but nothing where we were at...

the trip the next day across 80 back to IL looked like a war zone; cars and trucks all over in the ditches and median some overturned and each surrounded by police/caution tape... there was a Bobcat still bound to the trailer laying on its side in the median,  its tow vehicle not far away and mangled;   it was like a movie scene, til we got back to the river and into IL.... 

The time before, we were at the Newton Speedway in 2010 for the Hot Rod Power Tour,  it rained like he11   we were camped at the KOA across 80. The people at KOA put us behind the offices/pool hall/ swimming pool among some trees on a hill; we were in a tent. The tenters that were across the entry road all got marooned, Earlier that evening after all the events at the Speedway were done, all of us at KOA were crowded in the "fun room" around a TV, watching tornado watch after watch and were worried that our then 17 yo son at home alone in IL was in for a bad night... the weathermen kept sayin that the worst of it was veering south east and would go "in between" Springfield and St Louis. Cool for our home and our son.. I was hoping trees we were camped among, would stay together and spare us and our '78 Plymouth Fury 2 door... we did alright. I was glad the manager put us "up high", all that were marooned arrived and set up camp, well after we did. some of those people were settin up in the rain just before it got bad.

Then we found out the next morning that Dwight IL was nailed by a tornado overnight.... 25 miles due west of our place... it then skipped and missed a buddy of mine's place by less than a 1/2 mile  my buddy is 12 miles east of me....

so IDK if I wanna go thru Iowa much any more....

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Ok to get started, here is a picture of the Blue Mule a little tractor with the heart of a lion.bluemule1-30-blizzard_zpse6704d4e.jpg

• daytime dave, KennyP and Arti have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 04:16 PM

I took the wife to work at 12:30 and went to the courthouse to renew my license. When i got home the end of the drive was drifted in enough I had a tough time getting back in.

1-30-blizzard3_zpsc32f7d26.jpg

• daytime dave and KennyP have said thanks

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 04:22 PM

I like the blue mule.  Those little Fords do a tremendous amount of work compared to their size.  

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 04:22 PM

Back half of my Renddevous and the snow pile

1-30-13blizzard_zps34652975.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Tired of pictures yet?  This shot s ioff the deck of the 1/4 mile lane. there are two trouble spots one at the end where you see the brush causes a low pressure area and the other where the cut goes through the hill off my front yard. This Blizzard I got lucky and the wind came predominately from the West and it mostly blew clean.  Another thing that helped is my brother is off work due to an accident in the fog a couple weeks ago(we are lucky he is still with us) and he came out with his explorer with blade to see me this morning. He saved me several cold trip up the lane in the wind knocking out the bad spots.

photo5_zpsf7d9ce36.jpg

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 04:41 PM

Those are great pics! Thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 05:06 PM

I see you're from Newton Ia. The last 2 times I was there/thru there were met with bad weather.  last time was about 2 years ago, we went and toured the Kinze plant then on to Iowa State and Ag Leader Company... We went to kinze one afternoon then continued west; we stayed in a motel right near Iowa State and were hearing about the bad weather 'all around" us; but nothing where we were at...

the trip the next day across 80 back to IL looked like a war zone; cars and trucks all over in the ditches and median some overturned and each surrounded by police/caution tape... there was a Bobcat still bound to the trailer laying on its side in the median,  its tow vehicle not far away and mangled;   it was like a movie scene, til we got back to the river and into IL.... 

The time before, we were at the Newton Speedway in 2010 for the Hot Rod Power Tour,  it rained like he11   we were camped at the KOA across 80. The people at KOA put us behind the offices/pool hall/ swimming pool among some trees on a hill; we were in a tent. The tenters that were across the entry road all got marooned, Earlier that evening after all the events at the Speedway were done, all of us at KOA were crowded in the "fun room" around a TV, watching tornado watch after watch and were worried that our then 17 yo son at home alone in IL was in for a bad night... the weathermen kept sayin that the worst of it was veering south east and would go "in between" Springfield and St Louis. Cool for our home and our son.. I was hoping trees we were camped among, would stay together and spare us and our '78 Plymouth Fury 2 door... we did alright. I was glad the manager put us "up high", all that were marooned arrived and set up camp, well after we did. some of those people were settin up in the rain just before it got bad.

Then we found out the next morning that Dwight IL was nailed by a tornado overnight.... 25 miles due west of our place... it then skipped and missed a buddy of mine's place by less than a 1/2 mile  my buddy is 12 miles east of me....

so IDK if I wanna go thru Iowa much any more....

Kinze and Vermeer are both interesting stories of farmers not being able to buy what they wanted and building their own. Which balloned into manufacturing plants and industry leaders.

I know exactly where you camped at the KOA and being on a creek bottom  it floods when we get a lot of rain. Is'nt that Speedway something! Best track I have ever seen, not a bad seat in the house.  Yes our weather can be flakey at times. More often than not it's pretty nice. But like you say bad weather can turn I80 into a parking lot. I drive it 45 miles each way every work day.

Not worried about my driving but too many others out there. I have about 5 weeks of vacation and 16 hrs of personal time banked up, So taking a day off won't hurt me any. I'm getting older and don't take the chances I ONCE DID.